“Nice hostel with some flaws”
Review of Sol Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Puerto Lopez
Sol Inn
Reviewed 28 April 2013

We arrived without a reservation, but had no problem getting a double room with private bathroom for $10/night per person. The bed was one of the more comfy ones on this trip (and one of the biggest, which can be a problem in South America) and also had a big mosquito net. The room was very big and reasonable clean, although a bit damp. The common areas are nice for hanging out and meeting people, but one night the music went on until about 1:30am... Since staff tends to disappear at one point of the evening, they aren't really in a position to do anything about it. The staff generally wasn't my favorite part of this stay, because while the guy usually was helpful, he couldn't have looked more disinterested if he tried.

All in all a decent option for a stay in Puerto Lopez, as long as you don't expect top-notch service.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 September 2012

I went to Puerto Lopez in December with my sister. We decided to lodge here because we looked for something with a reasonable price. The hotel is located one square from the beach and you can find all facilities like restaurants and shops nearby. The dorms are clean and the staff friendly. It is a good hotel for backpackers it offers a kitchen, a small garden to relax and WIFI.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 August 2012

I'd got the overnight bus from Quito. I hadn't reserved a room but figured that arriving at 5am I'd probably find one.

I arrived with a group of people from my bus at 5am and explained I didn't have a reservation. They said a dorm room would be available by 10 and we had to wait.

The others' private room was ready at about 10:30. I waited some more and chatted to some locals.

By 12, there was still no room so I asked one of the women. She laughed in my face when I told her I'd been waiting since 5 and showed me to a dorm bed in a 4-person dorm.

A few minutes later, 4 other people arrived and explained that they had a reservation. The woman looked at me blankly as if I could somehow solve this problem. Then she suggested I pay $24 for a private room instead of the $8 for the dorm. I said this was too expensive. She looked at me blankly.

There was no apology and no suggestion that, since they'd messed up, I could stay in another room for less money.

Eventually, after a wasted 7.5 hours, I said I would look for another hostel and repacked my bags.

She laughed to herself again as I walked away.

I've never experienced such rude and unhelpful behaviour from staff in any hostel, campsite or hotel I've ever stayed in and I hope that this review will discourage others from staying there. They don't deserve anyone's money.

If you come to Puerto Lopez, book in advance to be on the safe side, but under no circumstances choose Sol Inn.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank arianwen_morris
Reviewed 24 April 2012 via mobile

Stayed in a double room for 2 nights but found that $10 per person per night was pretty steep for the area. The hosts couldn't care less if we stayed or went, weren't particularly helpful if we asked any questions with our limited Spanish, and flat out refused to give us the wifi password until the second day. The location is good for the beach, bars and restaurant but it is pretty noisy. Atmosphere is social and the facilities are good but for the price, there's more choice available further up the beach.

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank heygepetto
Reviewed 16 February 2012

This hostal creates it's own cozy and exotic atmosphere within the dusty and decayed city of Puerto Lopez (that's a first impression only, walk around a bit and you will see a safe and chill city where everybody seems to be quite happy and is living from tourism)

The cabins are good, mosquito nets are available (and necessary), the whole place is very well maintained and clean. The mattresses are of very good quality and the showers are clean and have hot water.

The comunal kitchen and outdoor space are very cozy and nice to hang out at night. Very nice place to stay! (prices seem to be negociable, we paid 9$ pp for a private room with private badroom)

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 September 2010

Even if there were no other advantages, this place would be worth staying at just because of its atmosphere - relaxed, comfy, a bit hippy. Lovely bungalows, a hammock outside your room, hot water (quite an important detail - we had some unpleasant experience concerning hot water in Ecuadorian hotels before coming to Puerto Lopez), and a very comfortable common area.
$8 per person for a double room seems to be an excellent price-quality ratio.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank i-reve
Reviewed 12 September 2008

The cabinas look good when you arrive but at 4am when a mouse is there looking at you from the top of your backpack and you get out of bed to see cockroaches on the floor, then under closer inspection, your bags are covered and Ido mean covered in tiny little crawly things.

At first panic sets in as you think that they are mites, but thank God they were only mini ants, hundreds of them. We then had to stay anoher night at a Hostel Islotes on the front (much better) whilst all of our clothes were washed and bags cleaned.

Yes it is Ecuador, yes it was a cabinas but there is no excuse for mice, cockroaches and hundreds of ants!

$8 each but cost $45 to get all the kit clean....stay on the front.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple