“Very Average Vietnamese Cafe”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Quan88

Quan88
Ranked #111 of 312 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese, Chinese
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Melbourne Australia
“Very Average Vietnamese Cafe”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

My son and his little daughter, plus my wife and I ate at quan88 recently. It was rather disappointing. The service was certainly efficient and very friendly, and the cafe filled up pretty quickly. The disappointment was the food. The Vietnamese coleslaw with chicken is something we always order and its a good way to judge a place. Here, the dish was rather insipid, almost completely lacking the bold, sharp, vivid flavours one associates with Vietnamese food and especially this dish. The salt and pepper squid was average - with the batter being much too thick. The Vietnamese spring rolls (a mix of pork and prawn) were over-fried and the filling too dry. The only dish that shone at all was the eggplant stuffed prawns. Maybe we chose badly but there are so many Vietnamese restaurants in Victoria Street that it will be a long while before we return to quan88

• Visited August 2014

Melbourne, Australia
“Definitely going back”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Will be returning, I suspect many times.

Wide variety of dishes and given the quality of the ones we had last week, I will need to venture further into the menu.

Absolutely delightful service, funny, quirky and smiling all the time.

We had the chicken ribs and just thinking of them makes me hungry for more. We had beef wrapped in mint leaves and that was such a surprising taste sensation.

Truly inexpensive, wonderful quick service, memorable food. What more could you want?

Oh, this is not a flashy, upmarket restaurant. More like the sort of restaurant you want to have around the corner from home.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank heLPlates
Melbourne, Australia
“Good value fresh authentic cuisine.”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

An interesting blend of Vietnamese with Chinese and Malay, with a variety of oddball specials on sheets of paper around the walls. No frills but clean and inviting, and after several visits I can say consistently good food. Fresh ingredients, and highly recommend the lunch specials which are cheap, good and filling. Laksa was outstanding. Great value, quite busy and vibrant on the main nights but very quiet midweek for lunch.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Joel M
“Great fresh food”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Great little place that I have wanted to try . Our entrees of crispy duck spring rolls were good , rice paper rolls nice and fresh , but the real jewel of the night was the beef with lemon grass and chilli stir fry ..

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Spaceboots
East Sussex, UK
“Try this one”
Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

Of the several budget Vietnamese I have tried along Victoria Street, this is my favourite. Again, a no frills experience, but pleasant to sit in, a varied menu (with specials) and smiling waiting staff. My prawn dumplings went down well, as did my unadventurous choice of BBQ pork with rice. With its fresh and substantial coleslaw accompaniment, it was exactly what I was after.

• Visited March 2014