“Best experience ever”

Harnas Wildlife Foundation
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Gobabis
More attraction details
Owner description: Wildlife sanctuary offering eco-tourism.
Reviewed 1 April 2012

I volunteered at Harnas for four weeks last summer. I had an amazing time and met some of the most amazing people too. It was a truly incredible experience to see animals so close and the work that they do at Harnas is really brilliant. Harnas gives injured and orphaned animals another chance at life so whilst some of them may end up in cages they are really cared for. Any animals that Harnas can release to the wild they do, like a wild cheetah when I was there. Furthermore the lifeline project allows some hand reared animals to be in a safe environment where they can be monitored but are able to be 'wild' animals as they hunt and fend for themselves and it is as close to the wild as possible. The work the Harnas team and volunteers do is really inspirational and if you visit and wonder why an animal is in a 'cage', just ask because there will definitely be a very good reason. These people are animal lovers who have devoted their life to helping animals so the animals are given the best possible care they can have!

3  Thank Slatz17

Reviewed 6 August 2011

Wow, what can I say: This is my fifth trip to Namibia and definitely a newly discovered gem.

Visitors can expect an unmoderated, experience where one is free to interact with many animals and also to encounter knowledgable guides such as 'Tomasz' who did an excellent safari tour for feeding lions, cheetahs, baboons etc.

You get to drive in to some enclosures for up front encounters without the fence separating you from the animals.

All wildlife was in excellent condition and the volunteers really do care about their charges.

Make sure to visit and pat Fatty the bat eared fox, try to sneak some peanuts and raisins in with the dwarf mongooses and you'll have new friends for life.

The lodge cats are great and we let one sleep with us overnight. Two of the baboons are partial to Windhoek lager, just dont give them more than a sip.

Highly recommend this place to anyone visiting Namibia if you love rather than hunt animals.

6  Thank lamarmotte71
Reviewed 20 May 2011

As a class,the matrics went to Harnas from 13-15 May.We got to walk in a area with cheetas,playd with wild cats,got the opertunity to learn about tourism...Ther is just no words to explain the experiens we had to be between al of these animals.At the camp in the night,you could hear the lions and see the baboons...Some of us got the opertunity to feed them...I recommend this to any one...And I wil defenitley volenteur to work for longer!!!
The staff are kind and they knou wahat theyr doing...Take a chance and experiens it for yourself!!!

4  Thank annoumis
Reviewed 10 June 2010

I thought it was great. The combination of compassion and the wisdom of discretion. Taking care of the animals and then working with them to be released back into the wild. Someone who has very little concept of big 10,000 hectares actually is wrote a mediocre review of harnas and there statements about the place being a glorified zoo actually reveals either how negatively prejudiced they were towards the refuge, or how ignorant they are of what a zoo is. It provoked me to respond here.
I went to Gobabis to speak in school assemblies and preach, and hadn't planned on visiting Harnas, but was invited by a local lady pastor. I'm so glad I was invited, because it was one of the most wonderful experiences I've ever had with animals and to hear those lions roar from only about 30 meters away was an unforgettable experience!

4  Thank pastormarkinswakop
Reviewed 6 December 2009

I spent four weeks at Harnas during July and August 2009 as a volunteer and had the best experiences that you could wish for. Spending days playing with, walking and caring for cheetahs and lion cubs amongst numerous other species is something that I know I will never forget. The bond and attachment that you create with these animals is incredible - and surprising at times (I fell in love with an African Grey parrot that is there). Opportunities such as being able to sleep out under the Namibian skyline, cuddled up to purring cheetahs are just unbelievable.

The people that run Harnas are so friendly and so accommodating. If you decide to go to Harnas, you really will have the time of your life.

One extra point, as a reply to the other review below, the animals are released into the Lifeline project to keep them safe from poachers and farmers. Once there, they live for themselves, hunting and breeding as naturally as possible, whilst being kept safe, as I mentioned, from poachers and adjoining farms. Those kept on the farm are those with problems that mean they cannot be released, such as illness or animals that were kept as pets by other people, so cannot be freed. I certainly wouldn't suggest that Harnas is a glorified zoo. They do everything they can to try and release the animals that they look after into the Lifeline Project.

7  Thank Harriers88