“Life changing, you will never forget and you will always remember”

Harnas Wildlife Foundation
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Gobabis
More attraction details
Owner description: Wildlife sanctuary offering eco-tourism.
Reviewed 30 January 2013

My partner and I went here after a recommendation from an ex safari guide yeeaars ago! I finally made it to Harnas and after 2 weeks there, every 2 seconds my brain returns to thinking about it and ways to return there.

Firstly STAY LONGER THAN 2 WEEKS! It may sound like a lot on paper but with all the fun, friends and experiences you will be having it flys by and you will be standing on that bridge waving goodbye on that friday with tears in your eyes kicking yourself why did you not book for longer!!

As an avid animal lover and currently working in the industry after my time at Harnas, coming back to my country just doesn't cut it anymore and I am planning my next escape back to Harnas quickly. The staff are incredible Anya is a wonderful volunteer coordinator and is like your mum away from home, I can't rave enough about the staff they are amazing and always have a fun and positive attitude making Harnas your family. There is farm work, food prep, walking activities, animal interactions on daily activities and after your initial few days you can sit and interact in some of the animal enclosures as much as you like and bond with them, a truly special experience I believe you can't get anywhere else. Too much to say and so little time, go see it for yourself :)

We made lots of friends and so many memories I didn't have one bad time there at all, they feed you well, keep you entertained and busy and you will never want to leave!

I will be back!!

"lodge"
in 3 reviews
"opportunities"

Reviewed 12 October 2012

I spent a night at Harnas during my trip to Namibia and Botswana this summer. It was my last night in the country, and I booked this place thinking that here I could see those animals I probably wouldn't see free; for example, leopards.

That much I can say I did, as I saw all those beautiful wild cats all of us love: cheetas, lions, leopards, caracals, as well as wild dogs. But it wasn't what I was expecting at all.
I knew animals were captives here, but I was thinking on large ground surfaces delimited with fences were the animals could move freely and where we would be inside the place with them, seeing them feeded. I didn't think I would see the animals though the fences.

The feeding tour, the great attraction they offer, takes place on marked paths between the fences that close each plot. It is utterly unnatural, more like a zoo than a wildlife conservation center.
Moreover, I was surprised to learn that they only keep those animals there, without any aim of releasing them in any future. So, this seems really like a business to me, nothing more. This is legitimate, but not when they sell it as a foundation.

Another thing that bothered us was that they made us wait for nearly an hour to start de tour, just because they were waiting for a large pack of chinese tourists which came late. That seemed a complete lack of respect to us.

This was the only wildlife farm I visited during my holiday, I don't know how the others are, but I wouldn't recomend this one at all.

15  Thank Polinesya
Reviewed 8 October 2012

I volunteered at Harnas, Namibia, for 6 weeks in February and March 2012 and it was some of the best weeks of my life! You get to interact with a wide specter of animals, from leopards to meerkats and dogs and you get to do all kinds of activities. I fell in love with the place the moment I got there and after a few days I fell in love with the animals aswell. Taking care and loving these great african animals is an experience worth trying, and I will never forget falling asleep as I was cuddling with leopards. You can help with so many different things, from preparing food for the animals to help on a guided tour for tourists. You also do farmwork to keep the farm in good shape. Interaction was maybe the best part of the day, but all the time I had great fun. Every day you get new amazing and unforgettable memories and I will really recommend going there!

2  Thank Kjersti T
Reviewed 1 April 2012

I volunteered at Harnas for four weeks last summer. I had an amazing time and met some of the most amazing people too. It was a truly incredible experience to see animals so close and the work that they do at Harnas is really brilliant. Harnas gives injured and orphaned animals another chance at life so whilst some of them may end up in cages they are really cared for. Any animals that Harnas can release to the wild they do, like a wild cheetah when I was there. Furthermore the lifeline project allows some hand reared animals to be in a safe environment where they can be monitored but are able to be 'wild' animals as they hunt and fend for themselves and it is as close to the wild as possible. The work the Harnas team and volunteers do is really inspirational and if you visit and wonder why an animal is in a 'cage', just ask because there will definitely be a very good reason. These people are animal lovers who have devoted their life to helping animals so the animals are given the best possible care they can have!

3  Thank Slatz17
See more reviews
Reviewed 6 August 2011

Wow, what can I say: This is my fifth trip to Namibia and definitely a newly discovered gem.

Visitors can expect an unmoderated, experience where one is free to interact with many animals and also to encounter knowledgable guides such as 'Tomasz' who did an excellent safari tour for feeding lions, cheetahs, baboons etc.

You get to drive in to some enclosures for up front encounters without the fence separating you from the animals.

All wildlife was in excellent condition and the volunteers really do care about their charges.

Make sure to visit and pat Fatty the bat eared fox, try to sneak some peanuts and raisins in with the dwarf mongooses and you'll have new friends for life.

The lodge cats are great and we let one sleep with us overnight. Two of the baboons are partial to Windhoek lager, just dont give them more than a sip.

Highly recommend this place to anyone visiting Namibia if you love rather than hunt animals.

6  Thank lamarmotte71