“Yo Young Rasta”

Zanzest Beach Bungalows
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Jambiani
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I have just returned from one of the best weeks I can remember. Zanzest offers everything you need or an African holiday, the rooms are basic but why would you want to stay in your room when you have a perfect and beautiful view and beach with the company of the Zanzest crew. It didn't take me long to really relax and soak up the African traditions. Food was as good as anywhere on Zanzibar and the atmosphere was perfect. A great holiday and would love to go back and do it all again. Keep up the good work and don't change a thing!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Richard L
There are newer reviews for Zanzest Beach Bungalows

Reviewed 25 August 2013

I didn't arrive at Zanzest in the best state. Tired from a long flight and irritated by an inefficient visa application left me ready to explode. Until I got there! The charming Bungalows are situated right on the most picturesque bay. The sea and beach are amazing. Truly post card stuff. The accommodation is basic but clean, but offers everything you' want for 15 pounds per night. The bar is well stocked and situated in a beautiful beach hut with a thatched roof and white, sandy floor. The food is great too, and I have been kept happy (an full) for the week in which I've been here. However, what absolutely trumps everything mentioned above is the characters that run the place! The guys here are the most genuinely nice, funny and welcoming blokes I've ever met on holiday. I've never had such a laugh with the staff before and I'd like to think I've made some genuine friends who I know I'll never forget. The whole package simply results in a no no-nesense, genuine African experience. I'd recommend Zanzest to anyone wanting a true taste of Zanzibar

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Waleed S
Reviewed 15 December 2012

Spent 5 wonderful nights at Zanzest in October 2012, fantastic location set in a secluded bay at the end of Jambiani village.
Great for those looking to get away from it all but close enough to the to the village & other hotels if you fancy a change.
Very friendly & welcoming staff, stayed in a double room whilst basic was clean & comfortable, mosquito net & fan in room.
Was lucky enough to have seen Red Colobus Monkeys indigenous to Zanzibar up close at the bar! never seen the them at any other accommodation in Jambiani on previous trips only in Jozani forest, going by some of the other reviews this seems to be a fairly common sight.

Staff can arrange a trip in a traditional wooden dhow (highly recommended)
For those wanting to stretch their legs a sight not to be missed is Kumbi Caves, early human settlement goes back to 20000 BC with findings of stone age tools, animal remains incl giraffes, zebras, & baboons. Located around a 45min walk from Zanzest there is dirt road leading up to caves, staff will also organize to drive you up there. On arrival you will be greeted by a local guide who will give you a tour of the site.

Had a great time at Zanzest only negatives I can think of was the seaweed on the beach which is no fault of the hotel & common to all of Jambiani & whilst I enjoyed the breakfast would prefer a local bread roll to the white sliced bread given.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Mzungujamie
Reviewed 12 November 2012

The three nights and four days we spent at Zanzest in Jambiani were absolutely fantastic. If you want a no nonsense zanzibarian experience away from the rest of the herd then look no further. These guys rock! and will rock all night if you want them too! Rooms are simple and spotlessly clean, Mozzie nets and fresh showers with warm water perfect after your swim on the beautiful and secluded beach. The iced coffees are sensational!, breakfast is packed full of local fruits and freshly made juices. During the day the bar area was quiet enough for me to study for my exams, (I passed!) in the evening the team play some great tunes and light up the campfire before bedtime. The guys here will go out of their way to organise activities for you during the day, they are all locals so you're guaranteed the best prices on anything you want to do. Also they can organise transport too and from Stone town/airport.
We decided to go sailing with friends of the zanzest family on the fastest multihull Dhow in Zanzibar!! A most incredible mornings sailing, flying through the crystal clear waters of jambianis' stunning reefs.
So if your fun loving people, with a good attitude and a big smile you must must must come here.

Room Tip: rooms behind the kitchen are the most private.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sam N
Reviewed 2 November 2012

I spent 5 nights at Zanzest in October and was delighted with the place, The staff were very friendly and helpful and the room clean and comfortable. The location is paradise itself and would go back anytime

Room Tip: Some of the rooms enjoy an ocean view
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Raymond E
Reviewed 22 October 2012

I stayed in Zanzest for 3 nights, and cannot say I agree with the previous reviews here. The room was not clean and wasn't cleaned throughout my stay, and the bed wasn't ever made for the duration of my stay. I was eaten alive by what I can only imagine are flees in the mattress, which I guess come from the cat that sat miauwing outside my door for hours to be let in. I came to have a good rest, but on Sunday the owner invited what must be his friends and family over, and about 6 kids completely took over the beach/bar/restaurant area for the day. Lots of screams, cries and running around. In the evening, the barman decided that playing hip hop at full blast would be good. When I asked if he could turn down the volume, he turned it up. I walked over to a neighbouring resort to relax over dinner. There are two menus with different prices for the same meal, but off the extensive menu, most isn't available. I had a glass of wine that tasted like sherry, and was told that that was impossible as they had just opened a fresh box of wine...A box of wine?! Breakfast is unremarkable (powder coffee, juice, fruit and an egg with a slice of toast), but one of the guys that works during the day behind the bar sleeps on a big bench next to your table until about 8.30, so you will have company while eating it.
Now for the good: very friendly receptionist and staff in general; amazing sea views; very quiet location at the end of town; free fast wifi; almost private beach; feels very safe.
All in all, you can do better for the same money elsewhere in town; I ended up moving.

Room Tip: Best room is in the two-storey little house on the beach, with private balcony. It is, however, righ...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
davilis2013, Direttore at Zanzest Beach Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2014

Dear guest,
as new operators of the facility, we would like to inform you that Zanzest beach bungalow has been renovated and upgraded to a new management, we have a new staff, a restaurant, a bar, a lounge area where wi-fi is free, a daily cleaning service. During the renovation we made changes on rooms.Now, we also have a beautiful garden tropical.I hope also making a special offer to have you here to show you the difference.If interested please contact me in private.
asante sana
Annalisa & David

Reviewed 21 October 2012

Stayed at Zanzest with my adult son plus my 2 boys aged 10 and 11 at the end of a month long Tanzanian holiday. It was definately the highlight of our trip. Location was perfect for us, as we were within walking distance of everything, yet far enough away to feel peaceful and secluded. Bungalows were good, very clean and private. Breakfast was great - fresh fruit juice, fruit, pancakes, eggs, tea and coffee. Rest of the food was beautiful - lost count of how many pizzas my children ate!
Management were brilliant and made us feel as though we were personal guests in their own home - nothing was too hard. Staff did a wonderful job of looking after us and keeping 2 restless boys entertained - disco dancing or musical chairs anyone?? :)
Would absolutely recommend Zanzest to anyone thinking of staying in the Jambiani area.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank chris01_2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jambiani
Coral Rock Zanzibar
Zanzibar Retreat Hotel
Zanzibar Retreat Hotel
#1 of 6 in Matemwe
Reef & Beach Resort Zanzibar

Been to Zanzest Beach Bungalows? Share your experiences!