“Blissful tranquility”

Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Jambiani
Nairobi, Kenya
“Blissful tranquility”
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I spent 4 days at Zanzest and enjoyed every minute. The service was thoughtful and attentive and the food was excellent. The menu has a wide range of choices, particularly for such a small resort and meals are prepared and served with a flair that reflects Zanzest's owner's Italian heritage. The food is prepared in a spotless kitchen. My room (the Leopard Room) has a porch overlooking the ocean. If you like the sound of surf and wind, you'll enjoy restful sleeps and relaxed days. During high tides, the swimming is good. At low tides, there is a very wide expanse of beach to explore The resort is small and rustic with locally made chairs and tables in the outdoor bar and restaurant. Although secluded, it is within 5 minutes' walk (along the beach at low tide or on the road) to other nearby resorts. Highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Zanzest, Direttore at Zanzest Beach Bungalows, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Thanks ,thanks , this is Zanzest.

Asante sana

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 11 January 2014

We are a family of 6 persons, who stayed at Zanzest 3 nights from 3rd. January 2014. We can highly recommend the place, with nice rooms, an excellent location and good service from the staff.

Niels Andersen and family

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Zanzest, Direttore at Zanzest Beach Bungalows, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Thanks a lot ,and was our pleasure to have you here, you were a good company.
Asante sana.........
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Zanzest is a good budget option. Their staff worked very hard to ensure everyone enjoyed their stay. The food was very good -- they had wonderful breakfast options (the fresh fruit was wonderful!). Since Zanzest is the last place on Jambiani's stretch of beach, it was very quiet and very peaceful.

My hesitation with the hotel was this: we were in their newest room, that nobody had slept in before. It did not have a mosquito net over the bed, and there was no air circulation in the room because there was only one small window. At night, the power went out, so the fan stopped working. It was stifling hot in the room, so we had to open the door to make it bearable to sleep. With that, all of the mosquitoes and flies came into the room so we were eaten alive at night. I would not have had a problem with having to open the door, but there was no mosquito net. We discussed our issue with the staff and asked to move rooms, but they did not move us and they did not give us a mosquito net. The room was very nice, but I would have preferred to stay in an older bungalow with more windows and a mosquito net. Hopefully they have plans to make the new room better - maybe add an AC unit? I'm not sure how else they would make it better.

You can't really beat the price when you're in Jambiani, but honestly I would have been happy to spend a couple more dollars a night and stay somewhere else down the beach. We are giving the hotel 4 stars instead of 2 or 3 because the staff were really wonderful and worked very hard to make sure everything went smoothly for their guests.

Room Tip: I would avoid their newest room - the hippo room, unless they have a mosquito net and have added mor...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for having stayed at Zanzest, we proceeded to put the mosquito net in the room, it was in anticipation before the opening here but unfortunately the timing is always the longest because they had to change the bed.
Asante sana.....
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Zanzest is awesome - really good quality, friendly home that is unpretentious and warm.

It was quiet when I was staying at Zanzest, so I got to hang out with the staff a lot. They made me feel so welcome - as a solo traveller, I really appreciated this. The food was delicious - I had chicken curry and some fish, both really tasty. See if you can get Steve to let you try his smoked king fish! Also try Young Rastas iced coffee... delicious.

Big thanks to Saleh, Steve, Young Rasta, matilda and chui for making my first few days in Zanzibar so special. I'll be back soon!

Tips: Card machine might not work so be prepared to pay in cash.

Room Tip: Get the room on the two-storey hut by the bar - it has a balcony overlooking the ocean.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 September 2013 via mobile

My first review on TA but this place was just so fantastic, I was compelled to write one! I love love LOVE this place! We were gob smacked by the stunning setting when we arrived - brought from the port by a super friendly driver who was arranged very easily through Zanzest. We were meant to stay for 2 nights but stayed an extra night as we couldn't tear ourselves away! You cannot fail to relax at this place. The bar / restaurant area is super laid back and very comfy. The food is absolutely superb. (Highly recommend the battered calamari although we didn't have a single meal that was anything less than gorgeous.) The chef went out of his way to make the dishes according to our specific tastes. The apartment rooms are pretty basic but great value for money and very clean and the beds are very comfy. They have a good variety of rooms at different price points which is helpful. On top of all of this, the main man behind the bar / serving customers is a fantastic host! Never failing to smile, full of laughs and couldn't do enough for us. We felt like his very special guests and met some great people while we were there. We are already checking out flights to come back! For atmosphere, value for money, awesome food and personal service, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this place. Keep it up guys - we'll be back soon!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank kanderson842
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 29 August 2013 via mobile

WOW Zanzest is the best accommodation environment that I have ever visited ! I never do reviews and I am just stunned by our week in ZanZest! I am a frequent traveller and have never gotten attached to a hotel and their staff before. We couldn't leave and stayed there days after our scheduled departure date. We explored the rest of the island when we finally tore ourselves away from the beach bungalow paradise that is now our home away from home! The Crew must have so many friends as they as so welcoming and warm that I even got my allergies cared about on the far away island. The breakfasts are the best I have ever received as a complementary included meal. I was so surprised to have gluten free bread baked for me with a beautiful selection of fruits, eggs anyway I wanted, including an awesome Spanish omelette and a special salad made just for me daily as the staff realised that I LOVED their salad. We were lucky to get the beautiful sea view room which is magnificent! Monkeys on our balcony, beautiful sunrise and sunsets over looking the amazing tide which comes in and out at such rapid rates. You can literally watch the tide come in. Did I mention the staff?? They are your friends and give you any advice you ask for.

If you are ready for an African experience meaning you understand this is a 3rd world country and a island so you need to relax and leave behind your city needs.The seafood is so fresh that it literally gets caught that day, or after you have ordered your meal ! Africa time means that you usually wait an hour for your meal all over Zanzibar entirely. The opportunistic approach that most locals come to you with, can be too much hustling but just say a firm no thank you and don't show that you are interested if you aren't, as the locals are always ready to sell you something and are natural born sales people so be careful to find out as much info as you can on prices you should be paying for transport and fruit or anything from a local seller. The price that is usually told to you, is 3 times what is the satisfied sales price so be prepared to always be negotiating. This is a paradise island and you would be lucky to experience time at Zanzest! We LOVED our stay and it was the highlight of our trip for sure !!! I hope this property prospers and becomes the busiest beach bungalow in Zanzibar !! look no further for a satisfied experience. See you again soon team ZanZest! Lots of love Gene' and Mat.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank GeneMaree7945
Stavanger, Norway
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Zanzest offers simple but good accomodation at a affordable rate. The service offered by the crew is very good and you feel welcome from the very first moment you arrive. It's at the very end of Jambiani beach so some walking is needed for other restaurants. It's right on the beach and I'll highly recommend it to anyone. A small note - payment for the rooms occur in advance, not upon checkout.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank henrikr529
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jambiani
Coral Rock Zanzibar
#1 of 11 in Kiwengwa
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,492 reviews
DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi
Reef & Beach Resort Zanzibar

Been to Zanzest Beach Bungalows? Share your experiences!