“Fantastic food with friendl service”
Review of Lustania

Lustania
Ranked #2 of 39 Restaurants in Jambiani
Price range: US$5 - US$25
Cuisines: African
Dining options: Dinner, Buffet
Dining options: Dinner, Buffet
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Fantastic food with friendl service”
Reviewed 3 November 2012

My fiancé and I ate at Lustania twice. We had such a lovely time. As we were there apparently in "low season" Mohammed was not at the restaurant when we walked past to enquire about dinner but after lingering there a few minutes someone called him and he appeared. We asked to eat at 7pm and wanted to try a fish meal with some vegetables as well.
When we arrived the towns power supply had gone out but not to worry Mohammed lit candles for us! The restaurant has some very strange decor but we liked it. When the meal arrived Muhammad sat in the corner and picked up a violin and began playing for us - actually serenading us while we ate! This was a little different but really very nice as he plays beautifully. The meal was DELICIOUS! Beautiful fresh snapper caught that day and cooked in a wonderfully flavourful coconut sauce. There was another dish for the veges cooked in a similar sauce and plenty of lovely basmati rice. The servings were very generous and afterwards we were extremely full! The meal was so good that we booked straight away to return the following night.
That time we asked to try both the fish and the octopus which Mohammed recommended. The fish was just as delicious as it was the first night but the octopus was amazing. Not at all tough or chewy but tender and soft and very very tasty.
I would recommend Lustania to anyone keen to try fresh seafood prepared in an authentic Zanzibar style. Mohammed is a very friendly and genuine guy and I truly hope he is successful.

• Visited October 2012

Hove
“The best place to eat in Jambiani”
Reviewed 18 January 2012

We ate here twice, after being approached by the owner and chef, Mohammed Kihame, while walking on the beach. The food was fantastic- fresh, tasty, wholesome, and Muhammed is a great guy. It's really worth tracking this place down, and was absolutely the best place we ate in Jambiani- probably in Zanzibar.

Visited December 2011
mohammed k, Manager at Lustania, responded to this review, 22 August 2012
i just have to say thanks to all and i always make sure i do my best to provide the best services and the best food as well. i love all my customers treating them the same. thank you again
CApe Town
“a great traditional Swahili cuisine exerience in Jambiani”
Reviewed 10 July 2011

I am a chef from South Africa currently in Zanzibar and wherever I travel, I try and experience local cuisine and culture as much as possible so that i can incorporate some of the ideas and styles of food into my kitchen at home. Walking along the beach in Jambiani, I came across a pleasant man called Muhammed, who owns Lustania restaurant, and booked two days later to go to the restaurant. I told him that i was keen to try the local fish, and he need to preprare whatever he thought would be a good traditional meal. We ate a good portion of white snapper which was prepared as they do over a grill covered in foil, accompanied by a fantastic basmarti rice and a very flavourful vegetable curry. If you are in the area, i would recommend that you visit Lustania for a traditional meal Although the ambience and decor are nothing to speak of, Muhammed is very accommodating and will prepare anything you wish to try. Note Many of the smaller restaurants do not have refrigeration facilities, but this also ensures that everything is freshly prepared. You will need to take your own wine/drinks and book your meal at least 2 hours in advance, and ask for ice to be arranged. The experience is worth it, though, and I urge you too support Muhammed in his venture.

• Visited July 2011