I stayed in Shehe with a couple of friends last October. Jambiani is a gorgeous area, but the hotel itself was not great! In fairness it was pretty cheap - I think in the end we paid about $9/night each for a room with 2 single beds & a large double.
On the plus side, it was in the perfect location right on the beach, & it was cheap. Good breakfast & lunch. The bedroom is fairly basic, but comfortable enough beds, with a pillow and a thin sheet (which is all you need as it gets quite hot).
OK - the negatives: The shower was freeeeeeeeeeezing, and the owners did not admit that the water heater was broken until we noticed it ourselves, having earlier handed over the money for a weeks stay. (They did allow us to use a shower in another room, but we had to let them know half an hour before we wanted to use it so they could turn on the hot water). The toilet in our room also smelled really bad. The fan in our room worked but was so noisy we couldn't keep it on when we were trying to sleep. There was often no power - but i think this was the area, not just the hotel. We didn't enjoy the dinner at Shehe, ate there once - had a fish curry or something and it was just awful! Thankfully, there are lots of other restaurants along the beach to eat at, although you do need to order about 3 hours in advance of your meal (Recommend the Rainbow restaurant - a little way into the village!!!!!)
I would not stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Uhuru Beach (formerly Shehe Bungalows) is situated on the lovely coastlines of Zanzibar island at Jambiani village on the east coast of the island. It is a beautiful, intimate place, is perfect for those looking for relaxation on an idyllic tropical island, based in whitewashed, thatched beach bungalows, the spacious, airy rooms are decorated in traditional Zanzibar design. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your Uhuru Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shehe Bungalows Hotel Jambiani
- Uhuru Beach Zanzibar Island/Jambiani