My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon from 4th-12th June 2011. We chose the hotel because it looked like it was in a beautiful location, was away from all the crowds and tourist areas, and very reasonably priced- and we were right!
We arrived at the hotel and the staff were extremely friendly and helpful, and the location was paradise. The pool was also a big bonus as that area of sea isn't very easy to swim in due to the coral. The restaurant was very reasonably priced with a good selection of food, and there is wifi in the restaurant too which is brilliant. Stonetown is about an hour away by taxi ($50) and the hotel manager is very good at booking taxis and excursions- a must-see is the Spice Tour in Kizimbani, where you go round a spice farm and they cook a meal for you at the end. It was $35 each for the taxi there and back and the tour as well- very good value. Also walking to Paje is a nice trip, the Supa Duka shop there is brilliant, it stocks drinks, food, ice cream, toiletries etc. and is only a 25 minute walk from the hotel.
There were blackouts while we were there but we were expecting that and it wasn't a big issue, we took torches with us, and the hotel staff put a little kerosene lamp on our porch so we could find our way over to the restaurant. We had hot water every day, but the showers weren't very powerful so had to use a little bucket to tip water over our heads, which wasn't a problem. There were ceiling fans in the room which was great. If we had to pick up on something that could be improved, then it would have been nice to have a TV in the room- but that's the only fault we could find and we didn't really miss it too much.
We did have an issue with ants coming into the room on a couple of occasions but the hotel manager was extremely kind in getting us bug spray to get rid of them (even at 10pm when we had to disturb him!!!)
Overall the hotel was fantastic and very reasonably priced, and would definitely recommend this place to anyone we knew going to Zanzibar!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mbuyuni Beach Village is located on the east coast of Zanzibar, right at the beginning of Jambiani village, 4 minutes drive after passing Paje village. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Agoda, Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your Mbuyuni Beach Village reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mbuyuni Beach Village Hotel Jambiani
- Mbuyuni Beach Village Zanzibar Island/Jambiani