“Good Location, Shoddy service”

Colonia Santa Maria (CSM)
Ranked #2 of 26 Hotels in Baga
Reviewed 28 February 2010

Leaves one with mixed feelings. Location is really good, no doubt, but the front desk staff is terrible. You can deal with them being stingy with smiles, but the service was not too good either. In spite of leaving the key with the reception and asking them to clean the room, the room was not cleaned. And when we returned to the room and asked them to clean it up, they first stated we should have asked them to clean up the room (which we had), then said cleaning cannot be done after 4 pm, and then said we should have left a "Clean my Room" tag on the door. I mean, how difficult is it to state it up front to the guests before they check in, if that is the case. The room was eventually cleaned after a lot of protests. Guess the kitchen is small, as the restaurant takes a long time to replenish things at the breakfast buffet. Rooms are value for money.

• Check-in / front desk

Reviewed 27 February 2010

What a lovely hotel. Its not 5 star but its honest, clean and tidy. The food is lovely, layed back buffett breakfast, or get the chef to cook you scrambled, poached or fried eggs, take your choice. The restaurant meals at lunchtime are varied and very reasonably priced, I couldnt tell you my favorite they were all lovely. The staff were fantastic from the men who sculpted models on my bed every morning to the waiting staff who couldnt do enough for you. This is all overseen by the manager Pete, who is always on hand. I dont think a day went by when he didnt check to see everything was ok. I'd go back tomorrow!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 February 2010

CSM is an excellent location for a hot but relaxing holiday. It's website gives an accurate representation of what is available. Perfect venue for a first time visit to Goa / India, and we will be back asap.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gotjok
Reviewed 20 February 2010

We stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks. There was my husband and me, my sister in law and her son (9years old) and my mother in law. We had a fantastic time. Go is amazing.
The hotel is ideally located near the beach on one of the slightly quieter roads in the area.
The hotel is made up of small blocks of apartments. The first room my husband and I were given was fine but the balcony was too small to sit out on so we asked to be moved. This was done immediately but unfortunately the next room we were given didnt have a nice enough view to sit out! It overlooked a couple of shanty huts!!! Typical Goa I guess. Didnt bother us too much so we stuck it out. Didnt stay in the room much apart from sleeping and changing etc. The rooms all have a sitting area with a sofa bed, a bedroom with double bed and small bathroom. They are quite comfortable and a good base for your trip.
It is not a luxurious hotel by any means. It has its faults. Our block had a leaky water tank on the roof. Almost every night we had to run under the pouring water too get back to our room. We complained about this after the first night and was told it had been fixed. But although not as bad as the first night it sill leaked throughout our holiday. We got used to it after a while!
There is also a problem with pigeons!!!! They like to sit under the shelter of the air con units and are very noisy on a morning! We found that a jug of water out of the bedroom window moved them on for a while. Eventually they learnt to fly away as soon as we opened the window, with no water needed! The hotel should really do something about the pigeons though. It would be easliy solved with some netting around the air con unit to stop them getting on it.
The pool are is nice. Not really enough sunbeds and parasols when the hotel is full though. The pool didnt look as clean as I would have liked but it didnt stop us having a refreshing dip in the midday heat.
The hotel restaurant is nice. Food is really good but be prepared to wait for it. Everything is made fresh and is worth the wait when it does come. We were given several vouchers when we checked in for money off food in the resaurant so with us having a child in our group it was handy to stay at the hotel a few nights.
A couple of other restaurants I can recommend are Fire n Ice on CSM road and Fiestas on Titos road. Fiesta serves lovely italian food but the drinks are very expensive. Titos road is the lively end of the area. So if you want night clubs and bars then head there.
The beach near the hotel is very busy. Be prepared for lots of beach sellers. It is fun at first but gets a little irritating after a while. There are other quieter beaches a short taxi ride away.
The staff are all very friendly, especially Pete and Dawn who helped make our holiday a memorable one with lots of hints and tips of where to go etc.
Despite its faults I would definately go back to colonia Santa Maria again and would recommend it to anybody.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 February 2010

Our third time in Goa,we normally stay in Candolim but decided on a change and were recommended to use this hotel,we found Bagga to be very noisy and chaotic,but CSM turned out to be a fantastic haven to avoid all the hustle and bustle.
After the first week we visited one of the local spice farms where we were given a meal(I would add we had been there previously) with no problems,however in this instance I developed very serious food poisoning which required Doctors,injections and loads of tablets.
I spent two weeks in and out of bed and our holiday was made possible only by the devotion of the fantastic staff and management of the hotel,in particular Sherin who worked on reception who organised a birthday party for me and who went out of her way to obtain medicines and numerous items to aid my recovery.
The entire staff were fantastic as was this wonderfull hotel complex

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 12 February 2010

Notwithstanding the fact that I had over and over checked and re-checked the booking, arrival date AND HOUR, when we arrived, at 5 in the morning, they couldnt find the booking! They gave us an awful room outside the "main gate", close to the shops, overlooking.. a dirty road! So our first night was terrible. Eventually they changed us to a better room, which was not the "de luxe suite" they advertise!
Due to the poor maintenance of the paths inside the Colonia, my friend fell and fractured her wrist and had to be in hospital for the whole stay - two weeks! The staff doesn't know what they were doing; they would say: "I don't know, I'll have to ask so and so"... or.. "YOU will have to contact so and so". "ou will have to come here tomorrow at 3 pm to talk to the person..." etc etc... even when they mislaid my laudry. In the end, they said that the "dobi" (the person who washes the clothing) would pay for the lost garment !

Food was OK though.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank NaliniXS1
Reviewed 9 February 2010

This was our third trip to CSM and our fifth trip to Goa. The hotel is an excellent choice for those couples wishing to experience Goa (restaurants,bars, shopping, shacks etc.) rather than being cocooned in a large resort hotel.
The hotel adjoins the long, wide Baga beach with its extensive range of shacks. These continue to be popular during the day but seem to be losing out to local restaurants during the evening. There are numerous bar/restaurants within a five minute walk with our favourite being Lazydays run by the totally brilliant Adolf. (resevations almost essential, cheaper than the shacks and better service and quality). Shopping starts as soon as you leave the hotel and for longer trips taxis are available within 100 yards ot the hotel reception.
CSM was originally built as a holiday village and only later converted to a hotel. This meens that the rooms were designed as appartments ans so have plenty of space. Furnishings are reasonable and the recently upgraded air conditioning is both quiet and efficient. The rooms are cleaned on a daily basis and both linen and towels changed. The roomboys are excellent and very efficient and helpfull.
All of the hotel's communal areas, (pool, reception, grounds) are kept immaculately clean and tidy and the Portugese style of th buildings together with well maintained landscaping mean that this is a very pretty place to stay.
All of staff are exceptionally friendly and the Customer services manager Peter (an ex-pat from Coventry) is a particularly good source of help and advice.

1  Thank WyeKnot
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baga
Acron Waterfront Resort
21 mi away
Beleza...by the beach
Beleza...by the beach
#1 of 5 in Betalbatim

Been to Colonia Santa Maria (CSM)? Share your experiences!