“Probably the most unhelpful place I have ever stayed... And paying for wifi? ”

Cavala Seaside Resort
Ranked #10 of 25 Hotels in Baga
Cartersville, Georgia
“Probably the most unhelpful place I have ever stayed... And paying for wifi? ”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013 via mobile

After dealing with Mosquitos and lack of a/c at a guesthouse in Panjim, I decided to splurge on a night 'at the beach' in Baga and booked the last room at Cavalas. I was so looking forward to some time by the pool and not being bothered. (Probably stating the obvious, but blonde Americans attract a lot of attention in India)

Getting to Baga was a cinch. The lobby was welcoming, the staff started out that way and then were just not helpful. I was invited to a welcome drink and then would be shown my room. Very nice touch! I made my way to the bar for a line soda. Very refreshing!

When I returned 30 minutes later, the receptionist seemed mad I was there. 'Madam, Check-in is at 1pm'. That was 45 minutes away, and had I known my room was not ready I could have lingered longer over my 'welcome drink' and wifi. Instead I was told to walk to the beach. Or go to the pool.

Wifi was available for 20 rupees an hour, but only at the bar and it was a very spotty connection. After being in India a week and staying at inns and guesthouses on the cheap, paying for wifi was a shocker! Especially as it is only available at the bar, so obviously you are already purchasing a beverage or food or something. Twenty rupees isn't much, it's the policy that is annoying. Especially as a hotel guest.

To note, the beach is about a 5-10 walk away, depending on the flow of traffic. Easy to find, as about a million people were crowded on the sand. I never thought it was a private beach, but I did think it was more secluded and not 'tourist central'.

When I went to the pool, which was quite nice, I was surprised there were no sunbeds, as the website did have show them in pictures. Apparently they were being painted and would be ready in 2 days. The friendly guy at the bar was helpful, and put to dining room chairs together so I could sit and prop my feet up, but again, not really what I was expecting from a place that calls itself a seaside resort.

The rooms were comfortable and nice and had a huge shower and working A/c. All good on that front!

In the restaurant, service was slow and often I felt ignored. There were a few extremely helpful people, that were kind a provided good service: the chef asked twice how I liked my meal, the pool barman that doubled as a restaurant server was excellent, and the young looking server was extremely kind and helpful. The food was good, the setting what you soul hope for at this type of place.

Given the small family feel of Cavalos, I would have thought guest service would be more of a priority. Yet, almost like the final straw, the next morning when I asked if I could print out my visa paperwork for Sri Lanka, I was told to email the service desk. When it was discovered my file was not email able and I had to access the website put in my passport number and hit print, I was then directed to the Internet cafe 500 meters down the street in the boiling sun. Nothing guest-friendly about the whole process.

If it was a large hotel with 100 guests I could see this being a problem, especially when there is only one reservationist, but with a computer that is mostly unmanned and a printer right there, it just felt lazy and unhelpful.

If that were not enough to feel bummed about the excess money I had spent at a 'seaside resort' that was not on the sea, when I left my room with my heavy bag, I walked past 4 employees, none of which offered to help in anyway. Again, just disappointing and not what I would expected.

I realize I am not the audience Cavalos is aiming for, but friendly and helpful service should go for anyone. That's why they are in the hospitality business, is it not?

My travels will probably not lead me back to Goa, and if so there are plenty of other beaches more exciting and relaxing than Baga.

If you do find yourself in Baga, plan to go for drinks or dinner and live music. There are plenty of spots in the area, and a ton under construction. It won't be hard to find a friendlier place to stay.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank TravelBug8277

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Bengaluru, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

Cavala is located right in the heart of all the action in Goa. You can walk to the beach and to the shacks, especially Brittos. it is very close to Tito's and Mambos. Location-wise, this resort is perfect.

But sadly that is about it.

The staff seem very lukewarm, almost like we are troubling them. They are extremely eager to get the advance payment but after that they do not show much interest in any of your needs, till it is time to pay the rest of the money.

We booked two rooms, and made 50% advance payment. One of the rooms we got was brand new with better equipments, well painted, new curtains, new TV, and much bigger. The other room was old, shabby and smaller in size. But we paid the same amount for both the rooms. When we asked them if they could give us another room, they said the resort is full. Please ask for new rooms in the new renovated blocks. There were no curtains in the bathrooms and you could see inside the bathrooms from outside, in some cases even from the main road outside, which is quite freaky.

The resort does not provide you with drinking water, mineral water is available in the mini bar for Rs. 25, which is fine, but on two occasions (in two rooms) we realised that the room service people kept taking the full bottles and replacing them with new ones, and charging it in our bill. While it is mentioned that there is complimentary breakfast, there is hardly anything you get in that. One egg, one piece of fruit (which is the fruit bowl), coffee/tea/juice. Most of the times there is no choice in fruit or juice. We ordered milkshakes one evening, priced at over Rs. 200/- it was absolutely not worth it.

When it was time for us to check out, we had asked the reception guys to keep our bill ready the previous night, they did not, we reminded them again before breakfast, then after breakfast, and finally we had to stand on their heads to give us the bill. We almost missed our flights because of the delay.

Opt for this resort only as a basic stay option, dont expect any warm service.

Room Tip: If you wish to get a decent location in the heart of Baga, you could choose this, but do not eat fro...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank anjumatt
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

I cant really comment on the accomodation, but the fact that the staff are dishonest is enough to put me of staying there anyway. I visited cavala on one of there friday evening retro nights. To begin with its a very expensive bar for the area anyway, but it just adds insult to injury when you get ripped off further. anyway on with my story, one of my friends went to the bar and ordered 4 drinks, after finishing i went to the bar and order 3 more (one less) my bill was 700 rupees for one beer, one vodka and cranberry juice and a cranberry juice on its own. On getting back to my table i asked how much my friend paid for the previous round....470 for the 4 drinks. I returned back to bar to complain and was bombarded with excuses, but no offer of a refund. i asked to speak to a manager, a gentleman approached me who i suspect was nothing more than a waiter trying to cover his friends tracks. he told me that he believed we had ordered absolute vodka and that it was 440 rupeees. my reply was that if i ordered a glass of wine would he also give me champagne. The so called manager said he would sough out the problem and left. After that i watched him rearrange some tables and check the toilets with no further contact with myself or any offer of a refund.....I have emailed cavala to ask for an explanation and to this day am still waiting for a reply.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Darren C
Mysuru (Mysore), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

Excellent location - 2 min walk to the beach and the shacks in Baga. Decent food, courteous staff, clean rooms - all at a very decent price. The highlight is the awesome live retro music on the weekends! I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank RManjunath
Bengaluru, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

We stayed there the weekend and we were glad we did. Friday's and Saturday's over here are awesome if you are into retro music. The rooms cost about 4000 for 2 people and they are cosy enough. I have attached photos. But the party scene here really is awesome on Fridays and Saturdays.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank paul270780
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

Went there with a group of friends. We stayed at their Villa Zayo which is a 10 minute drive away from the main property.

Villa Zayo is an independent 3 bedroom villa set within it's own green zone. The villa is amazing. A large living room as you enter with a kitchen + dining area attached.

One large bedroom and two smaller bedrooms all with their own attached bathroom. There's an outside seating area which leads to a swimming pool. The villa is an oasis of green and white.

The villa is clean, well maintained and most of us would have been happy to just spend a couple of days idling away. There is full time attendant who took care of all our needs.

A cook came by every morning to make us a fresh breakfast and other meals could be ordered from cavala.

On the down side one of the bed rooms could do with better lighting. Since it's a bit away it's best to have your own means of transport and not have to rely on taxis.

Overall a great place for a group of 5/6 people to go and enjoy.

Recommend it wholeheartedly and would definitely consider it the next time we're in Goa.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Smirk_11
Bangalore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013 via mobile

Me and a couple of my friends (including kids) stayed at Cavala for ten days in August. Its the perfect place to stay if you want to chill and let your hair down. A great mix of fun, good food and some great music... what more can one ask for!
Friday nights are very popular where they have a live band called Tidal Wave playing (they're open even during off season).
I am a big fan of visiting Goa during the monsoons. Everything is so fresh and green...
The rooms though basic are very comfortable and well kept. They've just renovated their pool so kids have a great place to hang out in case you dont want to go to the beach. Hang out at the bar and have a few chilled beers!
It was the perfect holiday. .. highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2013