Dina Hotel
OYO 10236 Strawberry Homes(Mahabaleshwar)(Great Value!)
US$126
US$233
Sunny International(Mahabaleshwar)
US$144
  • Breakfast included
Govind Holidays Cottages(Mahabaleshwar)(Great Value!)
US$66
Orbitz.com
Hotel Panorama(Mahabaleshwar)(Great Value!)
US$154
  • Pool
Forest Haus Mahabaleshwar(Mahabaleshwar)(Great Value!)
US$63
TripAdvisor
Hotel Shree Paradise(Mahabaleshwar)
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
All reviewsold world charmdhansakvenna laketariff includesparsi cuisinewooden architecturenew agethis wonderful hotelcaramel custardfixed menufull bloommain buildingheritage propertyreasonable tarifflonger staymaintained gardenhomely food
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Dina has been an all time favourite with family and friends for a place that offers home food the good views of mahableshwar greenery - and a great experience.
Each time we go the experience is better than ever before.
Wonderful for a family with kids or a group of mature couples.

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Rekha K
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Stayed at the Dina Hotel (after decades) on our recent visit to Mahabaleshwar. The grounds of the hotel are a beautifully laid out garden that was in full bloom during our stay. That meant that we spent most of the time that we were at the hotel lounging on the many chairs and loungers provided around the hotel, admiring the view of the clean and well maintained grounds.

The rooms were average; we had our rooms in the detached wing of the hotel away from the main building (rooms 15-20 I think). I believe these have been recently renovated and the bathrooms were spacious and well appointed. Cleanliness of rooms was good.

Food was plentiful; each meal with multiple courses. However, the quality of the food was erratic. Some dishes were great, others forgettable; some like the utthappas for breakfast, poorly cooked. All meals are included in the room tariff.

My only gripe was the poor water pressure in the shower.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel to visitors to Mahabaleshwar who tend to like their meals at their hotel and who want value for money.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the detached wing (rooms 15-20)
Reviewed 30 March 2014

A trip to mahabaleshwar for my family always meant staying at the dina hotel and getting pampered by their delicious food topped with impeccable service. Growing up i remember the owners, Mr.Jal and his wife inspecting the food served in the dining hall with respect to quality and presentation.
A vacation for me at the Dina was all about the food! The accomodation is decent and the gardens are beautiful but what really stood out for me was the food!

I wanted to take my wife there for a long time now, but since we couldnt get reservations over the past 2 years we were forced to stay at other hotels.

Finally we did manage to get bookings for the 21st and 22nd of March 2014. Mr.Hormuzd was very polite on the phone to take our booking and informed us about the fare and other standard booking procedures.
We checked in around evening time and were waiting for dinner to be served. To our disappointment the menu was pretty ordinary(soup, some very oily deepfried cutlets,small piece of chicken in brown sauce, potato curry and bhindi) and the service was even worse. Basic things like laying the table, serving water were not taken care off.
I was hoping that the meals the nxt day would be better but i was wrong there as well,
After an ordinary breakfast(poha and eggs), lunch was again ordinary(esp for my vegetarian wife! there was a deep fried cutlet, potato curry again!, and lauki sabji) At the near end of the meal we were served with dhansak.
All this left me very disappointed, but i was not ready to accept as yet that The Dina hotel could have dropped its standards so drastically.
Dinner was the last nail in the coffin! Again a deep fried cheese toast as a starter, pretty stale panner prep and some other things not worth mentioning. Since i didnt get a non veg starter for a long time and after observing a big group table nxt to us(around which all waiters were encircling ignoring the rest of the residents) I was told there is tandoori chicken! I waited and waited and waited but my chicken refused to come. I was almost about to lose my cool when one waiter came in with a tiny piece of chicken shabbily placed in a plate! I was so disgusted and wanted to take this up to management, but decided against it as it would just spoil my vacation further.
At breakfast we were asked bluntly by the waiter if we ll have idli or eggs! That just summed it up!
we decided to chk out there and then(we decided to skip our paid lunch) and i decided to inform the management bout this experience. But the lady(who looked in charge) was so rude that i stopped short of complaining further and decided to take this complaint further on tripadvisor!

A name built by Jal uncle over decades of serving good food, good service and letting us have memorable time at the dina is surely getting tarnished.
I would suggest you the stay at the prospect hotel or the il pallazo in panchgani!
Definitely not worth the price they quote!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Amir A
Reviewed 21 March 2014

We are in Mahableshwar every year during the Holi holidays and have stayed at Dina 3 times in the last five years. Last year, we stayed at Ramsukh (terrible factory food) in old Mahableshwar but this year went back to Dina. My wife is a strict veg and my son and me are non veg. Dina has an old world charm and the owners have maintained the property well. We stayed in Room No. 6 which had 2 joint beds and a separate bed for my son. The room is quite big compared to some of the hotels diagonally opposite Dina. The bathroom which has a glass cubicle for a shower is a mini room by itself. It is like a mini closet where one can dress and come out of the bathroom. Outside the room you have sofa and chairs where one can enjoy tea in the morning / evening gazing at the Venna lake.
The breakfast, lunch and dinner are almost like a four course meals. One request to the Dina management is to allow a customer to skip one meal say lunch or dinner (pre- decided) during the room booking itself and reduce the rate marginally. Later if the customers eats the meal, he should be charged full rates. Am suggesting this as the lunch or dinner is extremenly heavy and the water of Mahableshwar is hard to digest. The meal starts with a soup, bread butter, salad, veg or non veg cutlets, main course, rice, chappatis, 2 veg dishes and desserts. Breakfast is corn flakes, eggs made to order, toast butter with home made strawberry jam (don't miss it), a new dish of the day like poha or masala dosa followed by fruits. The food is absolutely home made (don't miss parsi food like dhansak/kheema/chicken cutlets/trifle pudding) and tasty. One tends to overeat a bit and unless one takes long walks it becomes difficult to digest. The bearers who serve food (Baban/Suresh Kamble/Suresh/Dagdu) are very friendly and also coax you to have extra helpings. In fact when my son was making a fuss on eating his dessert Dagdu made sure he didn't leave the table without finishing it.
The management also eats here as well. The property is conveniently located on the way to the Venna Lake and a morning walk to the lake and a post dinner walk to the market helps.
This year Holi has been the warmest in Mahableshwar and the strawberries too are not the sweetest (Global warming??). It drizzled briefly one evening too.
For dog lovers, there is always Lucie to pet and play with. We will definitely book with Dina next year.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms next to the Dining hall and with a lake view
1  Thank sachin09Goa
Reviewed 19 March 2014

We were on a family holiday and had booked 4 rooms from Wednesday to Sunday.
There was NO ELECTRICITY in one of the rooms for the first 2 days and nights that was being used by my husband, my 10 MONTHS CHILD and me. No A/c, no hot water, no power for bottle steraliser, no fan, no light throughout the day and night. After repeated polite request, the second night we had the same situation as we were out electricity, my daughter was awake the whole night and hence we couldn't sleep. When we had a row with the manager, the owner lady came out, FORGET APOLOGIZING SHE ASKED US TO GET OUT OF THE HOTEL....
She told us she was not interested in our money.... but when it came to final billing the owners refuse to come out, the manager wanted to charge me for those nights which I just refuse to pay.....All this because they didn't want to switch on the generator as all rooms were not booked and it wasn't cost effective for them...... CUTTING COST AT THE DISCOMFORT OF THE GUEST..... and they wanted to be compensated for it. What hurt the most, was thatthrough this whole incident and later they didn't have the manners to atleast once come up to me and apologize, they did do a lot of farce of wanting to touch our feet and in the same breath asking us to leave....

In one of the other rooms there was no hot water, one of the rooms didn't have an A/C, this was not informed to us before hand.... the management was just not bothered and we were just supposed to live with that.... or of cause "GET OUT".....

I am sure the head chef was fired or had left as the food was just not up to the mark, definitely not what we are used to in other similar hotels of Panchgani and Mahableswar. On some occasions the main item would fall short and they were very ok about that.....

It would be failing on my part if I didn't mention that the staff level employees were very very nice and hospitable and willing to help and serve you with a smile. The problem is the current management.....

We went to Dina Hotel for its lovely location and the famous hospitality of a Zorastrian (Parsi) family which has owned and run this hotel forever....unfortunately that family is no where in sight due to some health issues, and now its run by his Non Parsi wife, who is completely clueless about good service, has no idea about hospitality and is just interested in cutting corners no matter the discomfort to their guest........ It sadden me to write this review as the staff and the location were really lovely but the management sucks..... "WE WILL NEVER GO THERE AGAIN".

Room Tip: Try Prospect Hotel in Panchgani.... Absolutely lovely
3  Thank FarhanaShreerang