The Howler Monkey Hotel
Cabuya Lodge(Cabuya)
Agoda.com
Fitos House(Cabuya)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsnational parkthe ownerlaid backcosta ricalow tidesan joseprivate kitchencold beerfishing villagesurf sceneplaces to eat and drinkclose to natureentire peninsulamoon risemagical spotlocal bargrocery store
Reviewed 1 January 2014

This was one of the best travel vacations I’ve ever been on. I love the Howler Monkey Hotel.

I was looking for a place away from a lot of tourism, and I couldn’t have found a better place to unwind and relax. This place is on the beach but very jungle like too. I spend 23 days here and thought about traveling around more but I fell in love with this place. It felt like coming home. I ended up staying the whole time and just took day trips out to see the sites; which kept me busy. There is a lot to do in this area.

Looking outside of my cabina you could see the ocean and in the morning the sun rise. The sound of the waves made me sleep like a baby. The monkeys came by several times through the trees and the iguanas played all day in and around the grounds.

The cabinas are rustic and very fun to stay in. There is a small kitchen and bathroom below each upstairs cabina. I brought a mosquito net to keep bugs out as I had read before going to Costa Rica that there would be a lot of bugs in and around the jungle area. So the mosquito net kept me comfortable at nights even though there were very few mosquitoes.

Jim provided free bicycles, kayak, snorkeling gear, and cheap rent on his quad. He also takes people places for a small fee, and runs anyone who is interested into Cabano to the farmer’s market. This is a “must do” if you’re going to be staying and eating there. The fresh produce is unbelievably good. There is fresh fish down the street that’s caught daily too

There is a city bus that runs almost every day and you can go into Montezuma for some tourist action.

This location was ideal for me. I either biked around and into Montezuma or took a bus. It’s close to Cabo Blanco the National Park, two waterfalls, and a coast of beaches to explore, plus an easy day travel to Montezuma, Cabano, Saint Teresa, Mar Pais and Manzanillo.

Jim is extremely helpful and he does his best to make your experience in Costa Rica special.

The Howler Monkey Hotel is the best!!! I’d stay there again.

Thank you Jim.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank SunBronzeDAwn
Reviewed 29 November 2013

We spent 10 days at Jim's Howler Monkey Hotel...Jim is great fun and helpful with travel tips and local lore...the beach is 100 percent walkable, some sand, some rock, and private..The water was warm and swimable because of the shallower bay, not as rough waves as Montezuma...quiet, laid back and detached from the party surf scene you cant avoid elsewhere...we enjoyed the use of Jim's kayaks to explore the beach...surf cast with Jim's fishing gear and snorkeled off of the Island of the Dead in pristine blue water...
We saw tons of monkeys from our hammock, howler and capuchin...we hiked the Cabo Blanco park but saw way more monkeys at the hotel! Many iguanas keep you entertained here and even a resident kinkajou will wander in at night if Jim calls him in for you...
The ocean breeze and ceiling fan kept the nights very cool in the cabina...
We used Jim's huge bbq grill and kitchen stove...make sure Jim tells you where to buy fresh fish, the mahi mahi and fresh tuna were incredible here!
We miss you Jim and your awesome friendly rescue doggie Roxanna!
Thank you for making our trip memorable, fun and relaxing!

Josh and Pam

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Josh C
Reviewed 11 November 2013

My son and I were glad we saved JP O'Callahan's hotel for last: truly a diamond in the jungle of CR, it is. We stayed 5 nights in one of his ample bungalows, set against a stunning sunrise up out of Cabuya bay. When we weren't hiking in nearby Cabo Blanco, CR's premier nature reserve, Jim was able to keep our energies occupied by offering sea kayaks with life vests, fishing rods, snorkeling euipment, spear guns, surfboard, mountain bicycles--all for free. . A definite plus is Jim's cornucopeia of information he has at his fingertips regarding the area's flora and fauna, oftentimes recounted while he plies you with whatever fruit his garden is currently producing. Indeed, the place is like a small zoo,with howler monkeys and white faced monkeys coming and going, plus a duck called Donald, Hoodeenee the giant cane toad,and lots of different colour iguanas, a myriad of bird varieties, and a kinkajou which comes when it gets dark.
We're going to spend more time at Jim's hotel next trip.

Room Tip: No A/C needed in rainy season.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank saltmanjack
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Chances are if you’ve done all that needs to be done to make it out to Cabuya by the back roads you know you are not headed out to a sanitized version of Costa Rica or you would have booked a resort elsewhere at a few hundred dollars per night. Howler Monkey Hotel and Jim, your "Republican" (Irish) host, are laid-back, surrounded by flora, fauna and all of the critters indigenous to the area, love them or leave them.

I showed up unannounced when the hotel was officially closed for the season and Jim gave me a bungalow anyway, at a great rate. He cleaned it up quickly and gave me some fresh linen and all was well.

Cabuya is about seven kilometres from Montezuma so it’s quiet and shuts down early – enjoy your great night’s sleep. My highlight was gaining the trust of Roxanne, Jim’s adopted rescue dog, who hopped in the passenger seat of my car when I tried to leave (it was tempting, Jim!).

Put your dharma on, relax and enjoy an imperfect but wholly charming little property in the middle of nowhere but perched a mere 2 km away from CR’s very first protected area (Cabo Blanco).

Room Tip: The two bungalows closest to the ocean are the best bet.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank SocklessJ
Reviewed 9 July 2013

The cabina was comfortable, if you are ok with assorted bugs. You are definitely in the jungle! The monkeys were fun to watch, but the beach isn't walkable or swim able. Jim was friendly, and gave good advise about places to eat, and things to see.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple