“Wonderful Stay at the Celaje”
Review of Hotel Celaje

and 1 more site!
Hotel Celaje
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cabuya
Reviewed 23 March 2013

My husband and I needed to relax so decided to spend our 3 week holiday here at the Celaje in Cabuya, a small sleepy fishing village in Costa Rica. Cabuya is a 15 minute bus ride
(7 kilometres) from Montezua which has a large variety of activities, shopping, restaurants and sand beaches.

First I will start with what we loved, our bungalow was very private and cleaned everyday by the discreet cleaning staff. The upstairs bedroom was very roomy and had an overhead fan, hardwood floors and comfortable mattresses with great bedding. Downstairs had a small fridge for our cold beverages and the owners thoughfully supplied us with a coffee maker as we were early risers and long staying guests. In the front of the cabin was a private porch, with nice hammock and chairs and table to enjoy the view of the ocean.

Breakfast was plentiful and hot, serving eggs, pancakes, fruit, gallo pinto, juice and coffee. It was served under the large rancho with a lovely view of the pool and beach. It was buffet style so you could enjoy it at your own pace.

The pool is partially shaded and in the heat of the day was still cool and refreshing, ideal for those hot Costa Rican afternoons. The grounds were kept to high standards with the daily work of Ciego, who raked and watered to create a lovely tropical environnment. There were a variety of chairs and loungers to relax on while chatting to other guests or just reading, enjoying the free internet or sunning by the pool.

Meals were reasonably priced and the fish with the mustard sauce was one of our favourites. Great hamburgers and fries, beef tenderloin was delicious and the beer was always cold. The service was great, always a smile!

The owners, Marco and Carola along with all the staff went out of there way to make us feel welcome and part of the Celaje family and we will treasure our memories of this relaxing holiday.

Now for the negative, the day the that we had to leave and return to the frozen north:(

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kemptvillegal
There are newer reviews for Hotel Celaje

Reviewed 24 February 2013

We loved the grounds. We loved the pool (although it needs a thorough cleaning-the water is not clear, algae). We loved the breakfast, it was excellent. The bungalows were cute and private. We liked the hammock, swinging chair and outdoor table and clothesline. We liked the location - easy access to Montezuma and Mal Pais/Santa Teresa area. The bungalows were clean.

We hated the pillows (bring your own, seriously). We found the owners to be a bit on the cool side, not unfriendly, but not warm or inviting. The bungalows back right up to the road, as other reviewers have mentioned, can be loud.

I would probably give this place 3 stars if there seemed to be better options around, but there didn't seem to be much competition.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank TraavlBug
Reviewed 20 February 2013

I stayed at Celaje for 2 wks and got to know the place quite well.The cabinas are quaint and clean (which was important to me), the bar/dinning area has beautiful custom made chairs/tables of wood and leather from a local artist.The grounds were kept impecable,it was hard to believe sometime you were actually in the jungle.The view from my bedroom was like something out of a romance novel.I loved the size of the pool and hot tub. You could swim in the ocean at high tide if you wanted to..This is the spot to go if your looking for a relaxing vacation.They offer yoga and aqua fit classes and moreIf you are looking for a little more excitement you can always go to Montezuma for a visit..Everyday there was a hot buffet for breakfast included with your room and a full menu that ranged from french fries to full steak dinners.The staff even though they didnt speak much English were always smilling and friendly.The owners were very helpful to me when I had health problem.There were a few locals that would stop by for a beer or smoothie and a swim.I would recommend this place to singles and families alike.Great Vacation
Thanks Marcos & Corola

Room Tip: you need water shows if going in the ocean
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Kathy B
Reviewed 19 February 2013

We stayed 3 night at Celaje and really enjoyes it.
The bungalows are spacious but would need some renovation, the electrical hot shower is a bit dangerous, I got a few electric shocks...the mosquito nets have some holes. The garden is really pretty and the beach is right there.
Celaje is a bit away from Montezuma or other restaurants but the food served here is very good at a very reasonable price.

2  Thank marinesab
Reviewed 5 February 2013

We stayed an extra (third) night because there is a lot to like here. The cottages are fairly basic but we loved falling asleep hearing the roaring surf nearby (plus an occasional howler monkey). The beach is rocky but beautiful and there is a nice sandy beach within walking distance along the Ocean, Cabo Blanco is nearby and there is a wonderful bakery/restaurant a few hundred yards down the road.The beach at Celaje has a feeling of authenticity with locals out fishing, the pelicans bombing the surf, lots of palm trees and few tourists. The Celeja restaurant and the pool make a lovely setting that includes a view of the ocean. The Dutch owners are pleasant. Cabuya is a bit in an isolated corner of Nicoya but that is really the good part, unlike Malpais inundated with tourists, noise and dust. We loved the somewhat challenging ride up north from Cabuya to Samara!

Reviewed 2 February 2013

I was expecting more from this place based on all the reviews. The location is nice and the bungalows are well placed amongst the trees through which you can see the ocean. The rooms are dark and a bit dingy and the bathroom is small with old fixtures. The swimming pool is nice and a definite bonus as you can't swim in the ocean due to the rocky beach. The food was good but the service was not, slow and inattentive. We found the managers to be aloof and unfriendly.

3  Thank Landcruiser78
Reviewed 13 January 2013

Wow, what a place. Perfect in every way. I am hesitant to right a good review because I sort of want to keep it a secret. I should say this is just your average place in Costa Rica, but I would be lying.
Food, amazing. Atmosphere, amazing.
Wow. Wow. Wow.
Marco will take care of you.
Its been a year since I was there, still unforgettable.
Gadoush the dog is a pip.
Did I mention the pork chops? I can still taste em. I still havent had a better pork chop. Come to think of it, best measl we had in Costa Rica.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cabuya
Hotel El Jardin
Hotel Los Mangos
#12 of 18 in Montezuma
Tango Mar Beachfront Boutique Hotel & Villas
Nature Lodge Finca los Caballos

Been to Hotel Celaje? Share your experiences!