We stayed for 10 nights in total at Oxygen. We spent the first half in Villa 3 which was very private (jungle on three sides + beach view in front). We spent the last half in Villa 6 which has less privacy (villas on either side with beach in front).
We love the staff there. They're all very attentive, professional, and personable. They learned our names almost immediately and were always very friendly and approachable. They kept track of what we were doing everyday and went above and beyond in their delivery of service. We felt like we had the very best in personal service--almost like having a team of personal concierges. The staff is amazing, and though the beautiful construction of the hotel and natural location alone make this place spectacular, the staff make this place into a dream.
The nature around the hotel is amazing. Sitting on our patio we saw numerous kinds of birds (including toucans!), we also saw a Tayra one morning, howler monkeys on a few occasions near the parking lot, and some other interesting critters. We realised how lucky we were with the nature at Oxygen while visiting Manuel Antonio Park and seeing how excited other tourists got about seeing some of the same animals but from far away and with poor visibility--we had seen these creatures while just hanging out in the privacy of our villa!
The second villa we stayed in (Villa 6) was just slightly not as amazing as the first villa (Villa 3). The shower leaked on the floor of the bathroom slightly, the sinks were oddly placed about 6 inches too far from the edge of the counter (sounds funny, but it was uncomfortable to lean over to brush your teeth), and a couple of minor minor things needed repair (like the upholstery in the sofa was ever so slightly coming undone). Villa 3 was pristine and the privacy was wonderful.
The food was quite good. The portions are generally on the huge side. After being there a couple of days, my boyfriend and I just started ordering one lunch and sharing it (because getting each our own was just too much food). We had the Chef's Surprise meal two nights. They were good but not the best meals of our time in Uvita. Boyfriend really liked the catch-of-the-day meal he had our first night. Our best meal while staying at Oxygen was at the **phenomenal** restaurant called Citrus which is about a 20-30 minute drive away. We also ate at the highly recommended restaurant called Exotica and thought it quite good or very good, but not amazing.
We did many of the excursions offered through Oxygen. We went to Sierpe twice, once for Cano Island and once to go to Corcovado National Park (Sirena)--highly recommend both of these trips. We also went to Manuel Antonio Park--you needn't necessarily go with the tour company Oxygen recommends, I think you could just go and figure things out in person (though do hire a guide!). We did the Bahia Adventuras whale watching trip + snorkeling--we didn't see more than a couple of dolphins, were underwhelmed by the snorkeling, and were generally not that impressed. We did the zip-lining excursion and enjoyed it. And we also took the surfing lessons Oxygen recommends and were highly impressed. We modified the horseback riding to a waterfall tour that Oxygen recommends and walked it instead (much cheaper, better exercise, and boyfriend is allergic to horses)--and we thought the waterfalls were spectacular, like out of a James Bond movie.
We seemed to be a bit of an anomaly staying there for ten nights. Most tourists seem to travel around Costa Rica and only stop at a hotel like Oxygen for a few nights. We were very happy to just stay put in one place, planning each day what we wanted to do the next, driving an hour north or south at most when going on our furthest excursions. We liked the flexibility of the hotel not being an all-inclusive because it allowed us to explore some of the restaurants around (we're both foodies).
All in all our time in CR was phenomenal, a lifetime of memories, and Oxygen was central to making this my best vacations ever.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Oxygen Jungle Villas is a small-scale and exclusive Balinese style boutique hotel. Located in Uvita, in the middle of the Costa Ballena, Costa Rica's South Pacific hotspot. We guarantee individual and personalized service and a maximum of 24 guests (adults only) at all times, staying in one of the only 12 villas on the Oxygen estate. All this only minutes away from some of the most pristine beaches in the world and centrally located between Costa Rica's most beautiful National Parks. Perfect for your Costa Rica honeymoon, or simply to become acquainted with the jungle, toucans, howler monkeys, and the other wonderful wildlife that Costa Rica has to offer. With dozens of tours to choose from, and a zen atmosphere overlooking the infinity pool, there is something for everyone. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Oxygen Jungle Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Oxygen Jungle Villas Hotel Uvita
- Oxygen Jungle Villas Costa Rica/Uvita