“Dreamy Beautiful Place to stay in the jungle!”

Oxygen Jungle Villas
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Uvita
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We recently enjoyed a trip to Costa Rica and of all the places we stayed, Oxygen Jungle Villas was by far THE BEST! My husband said, "this must be every girls dream come true place". He is correct. The rooms are beautiful and you have a completely different mindset when you are at Oxygen. The trail and waterfall are convenient & invigorating and waking up to the natural beauty kept us in a relaxed mood. The staff and management are professional and helpful at every moment. They even served us strawberries & champagne as a special treat. We recommend Oxygen to all our family and friends. We hope to return for our 20th anniversary!
Connie & Jeff
Florida USA

Room Tip: we loved villa#1 near the pool but be sure to view the ones located down the waterfall trail before...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank connie s
There are newer reviews for Oxygen Jungle Villas

Reviewed 6 November 2013

To begin this review I would like to point out that my boyfriend and I had a fantastic time at Oxygen Jungle Villas. This review is an honest one – a review that I hope will ensure this boutique hotel is not only recognized for its beauty but also for its outstanding customer service – an important detail which I do feel needs to be improved.

As a travel writer I have been lucky enough to visit some top destinations in Costa Rica – so I admit I do pay a lot of attention to detail – however, I honestly believe this is what really makes the difference when it comes to top accommodation. I don’t want this review to discourage people to visit – in fact I would highly recommend Oxygen Jungle Villas – but I would like to offer the following advice:

Location

Unfortunately, the hard to find – difficult to leave - slogan that is displayed on the Oxygen Jungle Villas website is truer than what I would have liked.

This place is hard to find – and it really shouldn't be! – whilst the O2 wooden signs are tasteful they blend into the tropical greenery to such an extent that you never really know whether you are heading the right way. Of course – you can use Waze (which gave us the wrong directions) or any other GPS system – but clearer signage on the way up to the hotel would be much more reassuring to guests – especially those that are not used to negotiating steep gravel roads. As a honeymoon/romantic destination – the drive up puts even the strongest relationship to the test – if you make it up here without squabbling – then you can pretty much make it through anything in life. (Of course once you get to the hotel and see how beautiful it is - all is forgiven - you will both suddenly remember why you fell in love with each other all over again)

I honestly feel that the road conditions driving up to the hotel could be a little more transparent – whilst it should be acknowledged that the hotel states you do need a 4x4 to drive up to the hotel – customer service could go the extra mile by ensuring their guests have clear directions. Why am I placing so much emphasis on this? I know, from talking to other guests and overhearing a telephone call from another lost guest at reception that this is a sticking point that could so easily be resolved.

Customer Service

I would like to thank Oxygen Jungle Villas for organizing the bottle of wine and strawberries for my boyfriend’s birthday – this was a request that I had made via email and it was perfectly delivered.

Once we arrived at the hotel to check in – we walked straight into the reception/dining area. I was asked for my credit card details as soon as I arrived – I understand that this is essential – but waiting until after we had the welcome cocktail would have been a nice detail.

Apologies to the guests who were enjoying their quiet evening meal – I did feel like we were the focus of attention as we stumbled in looking slightly disheveled with our bags. Again – a minor detail – the dining area and reception area should have some sort of separation – you should not need to walk through the dining area to get to the villas.

As we checked in and got walked to our villas - we were asked three times by three different members of staff if we were going to dine with OJV that night. I understand that as a Boutique
Hotel you need to know these details – but there was no need for three members of staff to ask three times – the treatment went from being attentive to overly pushy and this is the customer service that pretty much defined the rest of our short stay.

After a certain degree of reluctance because of the aforementioned - we did dine with OJV – simply because we didn’t fancy the drive back down – guests shouldn’t be made to feel like this.

The Chef greeted us and we did enjoy a lovely meal – I had a Chicken Masala, my boyfriend, a juicy steak. It should be pointed out that the meal was not cheap – but it was very tasty indeed and so well worth the money spent.

The same cannot be said however, for the disappointing breakfast – which was ridiculously over-priced. There is no need to charge such steep prices when the food served is well below par – why are you charging so much? A tiny serving of pinto – a small portion of scrambled egg– a fruit platter with two grapes and a couple of slices of pineapple – plus two coffees was pushing the $30.00 mark for one person - it was hardly gourmet. At one point we were asked if we had finished our meal – the waiter already had is hand on the plate before we had a chance to respond – not nice at all.

Upon check out the member of staff at reception was most helpful as we paid for the villa and he gave great advice about where we could eat in Dominical.

Other members of staff gave us directions to the beautiful waterfall which is located on the grounds – it is a highly recommended sight to see. You can swim in the little pools and the walk there and back is pleasant - not challenging at all.

The Villas and the Swimming Pool

We stayed in Villa 2 – which had a lovely ocean view. The outside of the villa was a little dirty with wine and what I believe to be food stains. The inside of the villa was pristine and very well presented – it was incredible to wake up and be able to see the sea as you looked out from the villa. The light above the bed did not work and the switches that control the rest of the lighting in the villa were a little poor in quality and not in keeping with the rest of the finishes.
The infinity swimming pool was lovely and we did enjoy our time here looking out onto the surrounding landscape. (As a side note it was quite sad to see so many couples with their heads buried in their respective ipads and iphones and not communicating with each other – of course this is nothing to do with Oxygen Jungle Villas!)

Room Tip: Villa 2 - great view
4  Thank Clair R
Reviewed 6 November 2013

This place is absolutely beautiful, the food and the drinks were great and the treatment from the staff is equally amazing. You can feel in a mood of seclusion and will be able to enjoy a lovable time with your spouse/companion that will rarely share elsewhere.

You will need a 4x4 to get up there but the prize for getting there makes the trip worth the while.

Room Tip: Ocean View. The Jungle is all around and will have it anyways
1  Thank Ivan C
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I so enjoyed my time at Oxygen in September. Not the best time to travel because of the rainy season but the rain is largely confined to the afternoons so no problem. Unique architectural design combined with a terrific setting and very friendly staff made for a memorable stay. On the downside, the menu is somewhat limited and I was itching to dine elsewhere pretty soon. Good quality food though.
A 4x4 is required for access (as with most places in Costa Rica once you are off the beaten path) and although the drive gets tedious, the view upon arrival makes it worth it.
Although ideal for honeymooners, don't be put off by the adult clientele. Its refreshing to be somewhere where there is more tranquility.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I'm giving 3 stars and I think that's pretty generous. It's a nice hotel, don't get me wrong, but I think I was spoiled by the 5 days I spend at Arenal Nayara before coming here. The pool and welcome area are beautiful. The pool really is stunning. the concept is awesome but could be executed a bit better. The landscaping was kind of blah, especially compared to Nayara. Maybe it's not fair to compare these two places but it was hard not to, spending 5 nights at each. It's a tough road up to the hotel, not that they can help that, but it makes it kind of annoying if you want to go down into town. We didn't want to eat every meal at the hotel bc it's a bit expensive, so driving down that dirt mountain road at night gets old. It's a fun adventure the first time, a dreaded chore every other time.

The rooms look so cool online. In reality they're kind of impractical. There's not much room to pack your stuff away. The shower was kind of small. the little box that the toilet is in is tiny and it has no ceiling, it's just open to the room. It makes it kind of awkward unless you go to the bathroom like a ninja.

Nayara either used mosquito magnets or sprayed at night because there were literally no bugs to be found. You could sit out on the deck any time, day or night, and never come across a mosquito or fly. At Oxygen, they went the more natural route, which is great I guess for a more authentic experience and for eco reasons, but they have tons of insanely annoying black flies that swarm you. They don't bite but they're just annoying.

At the end of the day, I'd probably say that I'd not stay here again. It wasn't as comfortable as I'd expect for a place that claims to be a luxury hotel. It was more like luxury-lite. Luxurious elements mixed with nightly power outages where you're ac would shut off and you'd sweat it out.

I feel like this place could be truly amazing if they just polished it up more.

Room Tip: there is no spa, they call in local massage therapists who set up on your terrace. Decent massage b...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JimmyH452
Reviewed 4 October 2013

My wife and I wanted a few days getaway and decided to go to Oxygen because it looked beautiful and quiet and away from the regular tourist traps of Costa Rica. Only afterwards did we discover that this is a couples only hotel.

Which is great. I mean, kids are great, but when we want to get away to spend time with each other, we don't need a bunch of children running around us, yelling, screaming, and crying. As such, the couples only policy is perfect.

Speaking of perfect, so is everything else. The road is a challenge at the best of days and we went there in the worst part of the rainy season. It's OK as long as you have a semi-experienced driver and a good 4x4. I wouldn't arrive by night, but I may just be overly cautious. I did find it fun during the day, though, it clearly is far more terrifying than words can describe easily.

I was saying perfection, and I use that word rarely outside descriptions of my wife. However, Oxygen certainly deserves that moniker. Everything from arrival to departure was immaculate, from the friendly and service-oriented staff to the views and the villas.

Oh, the villas! Such magnificent architecture; simple yet lavish, luxurious, and extremely romantic. They are open and bright with glass all around and a beautiful interior. Despite the glass walls, however, they are still private without sacrificing the view. The builders should be adorned with titles of genius, master builders, or any adjective that could signify great skill and taste.

We also treated ourselves to a couples massage and were pampered with an in-villa treatment that could rival anything. The masseuses were the only ones who didn't speak perfect English, though, but as for anything in Costa Rica, hand gestures and our extremely basic Spanish got us exactly what we dreamed.

For the food, we were treated to two different chefs during our stay, and both served wonderful dishes. I like steaks as rare as the chef dares make them, and my first steak there still had a pulse and I'm sure a skilled veterniarian could bring it back to life. The shrimps we got were so fresh they were still dripping salt water when the chef started preparing them.

I couldn't recommend this place enough. Go here if you're looking for an exquisite and romantic getaway with perfection everywhere you look.

5  Thank Furuknap
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Lovely place. Little bit confusing to find it and you definitely will need a 4x4 to drive up. Once you reached it is stunning. The staff is super nice and helpful, the pool area is breath taking, the villas are clean, comfy, large and luxurious. This is a perfect get away for couples/ honeymooners. As we were at Oxygen during the green season even during some rain in the afternoon the resort was so majestic and peaceful. We truly enjoyed our stay. Thanks everyone.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple