“Unique but un-comfortable” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Uvita
Burlington, Canada
“Unique but un-comfortable”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

I hope this does't come across as a complainer but these are the things I would like to know about a hotel.
My girlfriend and I stayed 7 nights in March.
We were very impressed with the glass villas upon arrival but within the first day realized how impractical they actually were. Suitcase contents had to be stacked in "cubbies" located behind the bed in the washroom area. No place to sit within the villa except the bed. Coming from frigid Canada, when ever we travel we enjoy sitting outside on our terrace at night with a bottle of wine. The only option for this was to sit on the most uncomfortable couch. With worn out cushions and a deep seat back caused slouching to the point of intolerable pain. I ended up stealing a chair from the dining area and taking to the villa just to be able to sit. It's a shame because the view of Playa Ballena from these balconies are spectacular. A couple of Tico rockers would be such an easy and cheap fix.
Food from the restaurant was good, although menu very limited and a bit over priced. Most entrées around $20 range, so dinner and bottle of wine averaged $90. Menu only listed breakfast and dinner options, odd that nothing at all offered for lunch. It was on our 6th day before we found out (only by overhearing other guests complaining of this deficiency) that they would prepare for you a club sandwich or grilled cheese upon request. Why not add to the menu?
There were many more small things about this place (like running out of coffee in the rooms for 3 days) that wouldn't take much effort to fix, if only they had some sort of management. This seemed to be lacking. There was this guy in a flower, tourist type shirt that just hung around the pool area most of the day. We had no idea that this was their General Manager until our 4th day we asked one of their employees who this was. As mentioned, we were there for 7 nights and never did this guy approach us. Came across as very arrogant. Not what you would expect from such a small hotel. All of the other hotel staff go above and beyond with hospitality.
The pool area, restaurant and reception was well kept, clean with a very comfortable atmosphere.
The road to Oxygen not near as bad as some of the other reviews. Yes it was bumpy and steep climb, but that is common for any side road in Costa Rica. The scenery on arrival is well worth it. The whole Uvita area is beautiful with lush jungle and exotic wildlife.
We do believe this hotel is a must see but maybe on a shorter stay than ours.
Our conclusion to this place was that we stayed 4 of our 7 nights too long.

Room Tip: We stayed in villa #5 with a spectacular ocean view. Toucans in the tree in front of terrace every m...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank no_snow_no_mo
Oxygen M, Owner at Oxygen Jungle Villas, responded to this review, 20 April 2014
Thank you for your visit and for your constructive feedback. We take our guest concerns seriously.

First of all we have a brand new lunch menu. You can choose from soups, sandwiches, a hummus dip, potato skins, and many more options.

We are not too sure why you had so many difficulties with our couch as most guests rave about it. After your review we manually inspected all of the couches in front of each villa. We did notice one cushion needed replacing of which we have done and we hope this solved the issue.

Your stay coincided with the first week our new General Manager was here and as you can imagine his first week on the job he had a lot of running around to do! Now that he is settled in he is making much more time to interact with guests.

We do hope you can come again. The new lunch menu seems to be a hit and we would love for you to try it.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

We had a marvalleous experience at the Hotel. The rooms are incredible and the service is just perfect. We took yoga classes and enjoyed the energy of the nature all around the place. We want to be back really soon! Unforgettable!

• Stayed November 2013
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

Oxygen is the perfect place for a honeymoon, very romantic and breath taking. The villas are right in the middle of the jungle with ocean views. My husband and I will definitely be back to Oxygen. The staff was very nice and the service was great. The town of Uvita is the perfect location if you are looking to be away from tourists and experience the Costa Rican culture. Just make sure you get the right directions because it can be a little confusing. Oxygen is a paradise!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

Stayed here for 5 nights. Oxygen tries but doesn't quite get all the details right. Pool is lovely and refreshing but there is only room for 12 people on the deck loungers when in fact 24 people could be on property. Breakfast good but limited menu. Did not eat dinner here. Expensive.

Staff is nice and helpful but have to be pressed for details. Booked a couple of tours with them and did not receive all of the pertinent information on what to bring etc. We were not informed that the gates are locked after 10 pm. We arrived back from a night walk tour at 11p only to find the gate padlocked from inside and no way to call the front desk. Thankfully the security guard that we were totally unaware of heard me pulling on the gate. He appeared out of nowhere and after working through the language barrier he let us in. That was a rather frightening experience!

I agree with previous reviewer and his choice of term "wanna be" luxury hotel. The pool deck did in fact look quite worn and there was candle wax dripped everywhere. The dishes and used pool towels were not removed from the pool area in a timely manner. The pool area is small and gets cluttered quickly.

Regarding the DVD player that is available for use...what a joke. We had to wait 10 minutes for someone to find it and it was in bad shape when finally found. Smashed in, looked doubtful that it even worked. And the DVD selection was a jumbled up mess. When I finally did find the one DVD in the box that was appealing, the DVD was missing from inside. Uggghh!

The housekeeping staff did a good job. Room was comfortable but there is nowhere to sit except the bed if you want air-conditioning. The A/C was not exactly cold. It was just so so.

Last but not least we asked to print our boarding passes and my gosh the printer and computer were old. It printed our passes so light that it was almost illegible. But 30 min later when we checked out our bill was printed out crisp and bold! It didn't seem to occur to the receptionist that we needed a reprint on our boarding passes. Attitude too nonchalant and careless for a luxury hotel.

One last thing. There is a very rustic and somewhat dangerous trail down to the waterfall. No guard rail on steep incline. Hardly the "walking trails" in their private reserve that was advertised.

Al in all we felt very safe and that matters in a foreign country. I will return to Costa Rica but will find other accommodations. The general manager was less than friendly to us. We greeted him on two mornings and hardly received a glance in reply. Really? He should be friendlier to the people keeping the place in business!

Angelica, Royner and Victor were really good to work with. Victor always smiling and cheery.

Room Tip: Villa 6 had a very large tree in front with many birds
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank HappyTraveler1207
Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff. We consider each of them family and this always make us happy.

We wanted to let you know that it is impossible for any guest to be locked out. For our guests safety we have a night-time security guard. The gate is locked only after hours once the kitchen staff leaves to go home. This gate can easily be opened by the security guard once he hears a vehicle approaching. The security guard is also notified about guests that are still off-site. The guard knows to watch for our guests to let them in. No one has or will ever be locked out!

We have discussed with front desk the need to more fully disclose what is needed for each tour. For example bringing towels, sunblock, bathing suits, etc. We hope this will prevent this problem from reoccurring.

We do find it confusing that you would want 24 loungers around the pool. This is a boutique hotel and the 12 loungers offer a more intimate experience and keeps the pool area uncluttered. Never in our history has this been an issue. During any part of the day some guests are at tours, others are visiting the local area, enjoying the villas, etc. It has never been a problem that 24 guests want to lounge around the pool at the same time. We are keeping an eye on this to see if more loungers are required.

We do have good news and that is our pool deck will be replaced in May, 2014. Perhaps you can come back and experience this.

Last but not least we have our gardener maintain our trails on a regular basis. We do not have "guard rails" because we are attempting to minimize our footprint on the environment and want to keep the trail as naturally beautiful as possible.
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

This hotel exceeded all expectations. The villas are gorgeous and you really feel you are away from anyone. The endless pool is lovely with the added bonus of a small waterfall in the grounds to explore. The staff are extremely friendly and the service exceptional. Food was excellent and Victor makes a mean cocktail!!!
Book it now... you will not regret it!

P.S You need a 4x4 vehicle if you want to travel away from the hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dreieich, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

The pool is amazing and the Villas are nice with a very comfortable bed. But the hole pool area seems a bit used. The floor around the pool is finished, so for the look it would be nice when the hotel would make it new. The food is not what you expect from this price class and the waiters making a show around it that you think you have dinner in stars cooking restaurant, like a Michelin Star. So I recommend you to search for nice little restaurants in Uvita. But don't forget to drink a Exotic Mojito from Victor at the pool bar, he's great and the best man from the hotel! Special thanks to him.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review and your feedback. We are sorry you did not feel like you had a "luxury hotel" experience and we try our best to improve things a little bit more every day.

We just wanted to let you know that as of May 2014 we will have a new pool deck.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

Getting there: Admittedly it is a bit of a task to get to this hotel but to me the shlep was worth it! From the San Jose Airport one must either fly on a regional jet to Quepos or Palmar Sur and then get a 45 or 30 minute cab ride into Uvita (making sure the vehicle is a 4 x 4 so it can get up the steep mountain to the hotel) or you can rent a car and drive 4ish hours from San Jose or whatever possibly closer location you are coming from. We chose to fly. It was a absolutely gorgeous flight on SANSA regional airline, only I had a hard time enjoying it due to my TERRIBLE fear of tiny planes. It was a short 20/25 minute flight though.

Arrival: Once we arrived at the property (after getting a cab there) we were greeted with a welcome drink by the gorgeous pool area and shown to our beautiful room. The rooms are simple in the sense that there are no TVs (though DVD players/DVDs can be borrowed) and there are no unnecessary desks or anything but there is a mini bar and a blow dryer. The view and set up was spectacular. It is like staying in a giant clear glass cube surrounded by foliage (but there are huge curtains on every side if privacy is desired). Our room was room number 4 (out of 12), which had an ocean view. I recommend paying the extra money to have the ocean view and stay away from the jungle. To me, the sound of the cicadas was very loud in the jungle.

Food: The food at the hotel was great. I would stick to the seafood though as the beef was blah. I have annoying food intolerances and although I had to reiterate what I could not eat many times they did their very best. My food intolerance is VERY difficult to accommodate so I was happy they tried as hard as they did.

Activities:
Massage: We both had a massage onsite. The ladies were very good but I felt the cost was high.

Zip lining (hotel organized): I had been zip lining before but this was much more intense than the zip lining I had done in Argentina. I have moderate but treated rheumatoid arthritis and it was possible for me to do it BUT had I been having a bad joint day there would have been NO way I could have done it. You don't just zip line you walk across a few dodgy bridges that you'd rather not encounter. Also, if you are afraid of heights I wouldn't torture yourself by going. It was a fun adventure though and we had a great day.

Corcovado (hotel organized): We also did the boat trip to Corcovado. We told the hotel staff we wanted to see sloths so they booked this tour for us. Sadly, we did not see a single sloth but it was a great day full of other animals (dolphins, turtles, howler monkeys, crabs, birds (parrots/boobies/frigates) crocodiles, frogs, coatimundi etc.) I was a bit irritated with our hotel though as they did NOT tell us what a long day this would be (7 to 5), that we were going on a boat and that the tour operators suggest you bring bathing suits so you can swim in the waterfall at the end of a REALLY long hike. It really was a wonderful day though just make sure you prepare for it! (bug spray, hat, sunblock, bathing suits)

Staff: Housekeeping really kept up the beautiful room. The wait staff were friendly and attentive. Thanks Harold, Victor and Dariel (sorry if I spelled the last one wrong). The chef came out to say hello on our last day. We were very pleased with all the people that worked there. They always had our requested taxi ready and waiting for us on time and fulfilled special request we had (they made a bouquet for me as my boyfriend wanted me to have flowers for Valentine's day so he requested it the day prior…if you request it a week ahead of time they will find a place that can get you roses). Thank you Harold :) !!!

I would definitely recommend this hotel! It is peaceful and perfect for couples. You can be as lazy as you want to by the pool or go on a few adventures. It's up to you :)

Room Tip: My sleep quality was good because I stayed on the side with the ocean view. I do not know if the wa...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We just wanted to personally thank you for your amazing review. We look forward to seeing you again!