“8 Nights of a perfect honeymoon!”

TikiVillas Rainforest Lodge
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Uvita
Hickory, North Carolina
“8 Nights of a perfect honeymoon!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

My husband and I spent 8 nights here during the first week of April 2014 for our honeymoon and could not have made a better choice of where to stay. Thomas and Cindy where very helpful and quickly responded to any of our questions before we arrived, and there are not enough nice things to say about how wonderful Pablo and Gary were once we checked in.

I am so happy that we spent our entire honeymoon here. The amenities rooms, pool and view are better than the website can capture and everyone who worked there made us feel like we were staying at the Four Seasons. The location is close to lots of activities and restaurants, we did not have a phone and it was no issue because Pablo and Gary made reservations for us for each day of the trip including ATV rides, a snorkel trip, hiking, surf lessons, kayaking, and several local restaurants. As for the restaurant, some of the best dinner of the whole trip was only steps away from our room and the breakfast was divine. The banana coladas were delicious and a lovely welcome drink that we enjoyed on our 2nd day there.

The grounds were immaculately clean and well cared for, the parking was secured, and our villa was bigger than the photos made it look. We stayed in Villa 2, which was very nice and had a great view of the ocean. The air conditioning was quiet and worked well. The only thing that wasn't the best was the mattress- it was a little stiff.

It is true that you can hear trucks on the road, but it was never distracting and doesn't take away from hearing the waves on the shore at high tide. There is a bit of a construction site below the villas but you couldn't see it from our room and we never heard them - even though we were up between 5 a.m. and 6 a.m. every morning.

Overall, if we had booked any longer than 8 nights, we would have quit our jobs and moved to Costa Rica. I would recommend TikiVillas to friends and family and I hope to return again someday.

Thank you Pabo, Gary, Cindy and Thomas!

Meredith and Hal

Room Tip: Definitely have your own car if you choose TikiVillas. It is really necessary to enjoy what the are...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MereNecessities

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Weymouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

I highly recommend this terrific get away. The rooms are comfortable, the pool is clean and refreshing and the service is top notch. Gary plays many roles and makes sure guests are satisfied. He has a great personal touch too. While on our anniversary trip he made sure we were comfortable, well fed and helped to point out tours and hikes. It's close to many beaches, waterfalls and major sights. Looking forward to our next visit.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Athens, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

We are sitting around reminiscing about our recent trip to Costa Rica and banana coladas. We spent an amazing week at TikiVillas. We felt spoiled by the constant attention of Pablo and Gary and all the staff. The rooms are extremely comfortable with unbeatable views - the rooms are open to the sounds and sights of the forest and ocean! We left our room open the entire week and spent many hours listening to howlers, waves and birds from the deck of our room. The birding from our room was fantastic. We enjoyed many superb meals at the villa restaurant. Pablo and Gary were a wealth of knowledge about the area and helped us plan numerous excursions to beaches, waterfalls, kayaking, Corcovado National Park, and a few local restaurants. The location of Tiki Villas is perfect - we were there a week and did not see all that this area of Costa Rica has to offer. It was an ideal family vacation! Thanks Tiki Villas and Pablo and Gary and all the staff...we miss you!
Sincererly,
The Cooper Family

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Snuuze
Weymouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

My husband and I spent 6 nights (April 1-7, 2014) at Tiki Villas for our 10 year wedding anniversary. After a full day of travel we were exhausted when we arrived. As soon as I opened the car door and heard the sounds of bugs, birds and monkeys, I forgot about the exhaustion. Nature's soundtrack took over.

We stayed in Villa #4 with views of the jungle and ocean in the distance. A calming sight to wake up to each morning. We sipped coffee (free in the room) on the deck while waiting for breakfast. We woke up with the sun and the birds. The villa itself was roomy, clean and comfortable for sleeping. One thing to note - the tiny ants scurrying around the kitchen counter. It didn't "bug" us because we didn't eat in the Villa (just made coffee). We slept with the AC. The temperatures were too hot and humid for our sleeping pleasure. As soon as we awoke, we shut the AC and opened the doors.

For any fitness or yoga enthusiasts, the deck has plenty of room for a few pushups, lunges, dips and a yoga mat. I practiced each morning.

From the room we spotted toucans, hummingbirds and other birds I'm not familiar with. We couldn't miss the sound of the howler monkeys. From the pool we got a closer view of the toucans when a flock (maybe 6 of them) nestled in the trees right next to the pool. Monkeys climbed the branches of trees in the distance.

The pool is small, yet offers the same jungle and ocean views as our room. It's a perfect spot to cool off after a day of hiking, touring or a long travel day. With only five villas on the property, we often felt like we had the place to ourselves! It's quiet and the couples we met were friendly and ready to chat about their travel experiences.

Staff were excellent! We only saw Pablo twice. We had the pleasure of getting to know Gary during our stay. They were both attentive, friendly, always smiling and helpful to our requests for help with tours and spa services. We really enjoyed talking with Gary. At our request he would speak to us in Spanish to help us learn the language, we shared a lot of laughs. Gracias, Gary!

The chef came out and introduced himself one night, too. We ate all of our dinners at Tiki Villas and enjoyed every one including chicken, fish and salads. Our welcome cocktail, a frozen banana rum drink, was a great way to kick off our vacation.

We enjoyed a couples massage in the spa room overlooking the jungle. Although I could hear noises from the kitchen, the massage still put me into a deep relaxation.

The mountain road to Tiki Villas isn't that long, 400 meters from Route 34. We had a 4x4 which made driving the side/mountain roads a lot easier. Main roads are paved. From our villa and the pool we could hear the trucks on the road below us. That didn't bother us.

This was our 2nd visit to Costa Rica (last time we visited Arenal, Nicoya Peninsula and Manuel Antonio) and we fell in love all over again. Pura Vida for sure.

Overall, we recommend Tiki Villas. Staff were fantastic, location excellent, and price right for the accommodations (breakfast included).

Thank you again!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SASJMS
Mississauga
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

My wife and I stayed at TikiVillas for 6 nights (March 26-31) and had an amazing trip. We're not heavy travellers to the south, but collectively we've been to Cuba, D.R., Roatan, HR and the Punta Leona resort, northwest of TikiVillas. By far, this was our favourite place and we enjoyed all of the others...

Location:
The resort is situated on the east side of Highway 34, opposite the ocean in the beautiful rainforest of the Uvita area. A 500 meter or so climb up a rocky road is required from the highway, so a 4WD car definitely helps. (Although I did see some without) The climb is worth it; once on the property you have a beautiful view of the forest and ocean. But its not just a 'view' from afar. The property is immersed in lush, green vegetation (even though it was the end of the dry season) and really makes you feel that you are in the forest. The road isn't all that far away so there is the odd noise from an airbrake of a transport, but its not heavily travelled and 95% of the time, we just heard the ocean and wildlife day and night. Also, Playa Hermosa, a beautiful beach about a 10 minute walk or a 1 minute drive down the driveway on the west side of Highway 34.

Wildlife:
Seeing as you are immersed, it allows you to view a large variety of wildlife. Birds were seen everywhere! I'm no expert, but I'm sure I saw dozens of colourful and wonderful sounding birds, including our favorite the Yellow Toucan. Although we didn't see them (spent a lot of time on excursions) others saw the resident 3 toed sloth and whole families of white faced capuchin monkey's. Of course, there is no shortage of fascinating insects and lizards on the property.

Hotel/room:
The property itself is fairly small compared to any all-inclusive you might be used to. A small well lit parking area is on the edge, with a pathway leading to the 1st 3 villas. That path leads to the reception/restaurant/lounge building (I use that term loosely, as its a gorgeous open air Tiki style design). The infinity pool is on the edge of the lounge, which was a personal favourite for us to hang out in, overlooking the beautiful greenery. The other 2 villas are also on a path from the same building, just on a slight incline as they are 30ft or so above the 1st 3 villas. There are only 5 villas total currently, so it really makes the place quiet and very intimate. Our room (number 4) was outstanding. Again, its in traditional Tiki style with dark wood and every possible wall is made up of doors that completely open to the outside. This is done so you can feel completely apart of the outside, while still maintaining maximum privacy. The villas are spacious with a nice little kitchenette (small fridge, stove top, coffee maker and sink) and a nicely appointed bathroom that has a walk-in closet and a huge shower that connects to an outdoor version. All the rooms come with AC, which we found totally fine even on the most hottest/humid days/nights. We also found bugs to be fine; they have 2 lights above the bed that do not attract them if you prefer to keep you doors open at night. We always had them closed over night, but in the evening we often had them open with maybe one or two moths coming in. Probably the biggest highlight of these rooms is waking up to the sounds of howler monkeys and toucans early in the morning.

Food:
Breakfast is included with your stay, which is very good. They start you off with coffee, tea, juice and a nice fresh plate of fruit, bread and some jams. After that your options are: Bacon and Eggs, Tico style traditional Costa Rican breakfast (favourite) pancakes or oatmeal. We loved the breakfasts and felt completely full each morning. Aside from that any other drinks or meals would be ala carte settled up at the end of your stay. We tried a handful of drinks, Banana Colada (your free 'welcome' drink), Strawberry Daiquiri, Margarita, Imperial beer and all were great. The snacks menu is great too for lunch or it you want lighter fare. The proper dinner menu is vast and reasonably priced. All offer delicious fish, shellfish, meat and vegetarian options. If I had to put a dollar range for the restaurant I'd say average compared to restaurants in Toronto. But overall, we were very pleased with the food and drink options, miles beyond any all-inclusive we've been to...obviously. :)

Staff:
This was honestly the real treat here at TikiVillas. We had a rough travel experience flying into CR; we missed our connecting flight so it put us arriving in San Jose 7 hours later than planned. Cindy (owner) jumped right into action and rearranged our driver to meet us at the airport at the later time. It's a 3 hour drive to TikiVillas from the airport, so once we got in it was well after midnight. A friendly security guard waited for us, let us in and a nice welcome note from Pablo reassured us that we were here to relax and we'd check in, in the morning. We then met Gary and Pablo the next day and they kindly helped us with each and every request we had. "You want me to catch an anole for you?" Done! :) Gary expertly tracked it down for us and let us take a picture. Seriously though, they both not only wanted to help, but actually were full of helpful info that made our trip fun, safe and informative. Each morning felt like you were coming out to meet a friend. Too bad we couldn't have spent time hanging out in a more mutually social circumstance. Definitely a 10/10 for the staff here, that includes the cleaning, cooking, and maintenance staff who all work hard to please the guests and do the best at what they do.

Overall experience:
Costa Rica is a gorgeous country, with friendly people almost always happy to help. The Uvita area where TikiVillas is located is even more beautiful as it seems to be more green and lush than the rest of areas we were in. We rented a car in nearby Uvita so we could get around locally and then drove back to the airport. I would totally recommend this, as the driving is very easy and almost the same as driving country roads back home. TikiVillas totally enhanced the whole experience for us. While we enjoyed the area and did some exploring, we were excited to come back 'home' and tell them how our day went over a quiet, romantic dinner or drink. I can't think of many people I wouldn't recommend TikiVillas to and honestly don't understand the few negative comments we saw. If you love beautiful surroundings, a quiet relaxing stay and amazing staff, this is the place to go.

Suggestions:
I couldn't really think of any major suggestions, but I do feel I should offer some realistic personal recommendation to TikiVillas, or any place I visit. I'd recommend putting the menu's of the restaurant online, so people can get a real idea of the amazing dishes you provide and what the price ranges are. I wasn't surprised at all, but still, it would be nice when your planning to see what you'll be expecting. Also, I'm a huge beer fan and although CR isn't known for a vast selection of local beers, it'd be cool to maybe bring in some imports to set you apart from other resorts. Those are the 2 things I thought of, but honestly the Cindy and Thomas as owners have thought of everything.

Excursion tips:
Although Pablo and Gary will be essential in planning your trips, I just wanted to share how we felt after going on a few. We booked 2 trips; Snorkelling to Cano Island and the hike through Corcovado National Park. Each trip requires a 45 minute drive to Sierpe and then an 1hr-1.5hr small boat trip. For an additional cost they will pick you up straight from the resort. The boat is fairly small, it fits about 10 people so its a little rough. But honestly I'm not great in boats and I was fine. The reef we snorkeled in was great, lots of colourful fish and we even saw a small reef shark. We then finished the trip with lunch on small private beach and mangrove tour on the way back to Sierpe. Corcovado was the highlight for me. We saw all 4 of CR's monkeys (Squirrel, Spider, Howler and White faced Capuchin), Kuwati's, frogs, a 12 foot Boa Constrictor, Scarlett Macaw's and more. We had a nice lunch and then a short hike to a beautiful waterfall and swim. I would recommend this to anyone, as it was light hiking and the majority of it was in the shade. On our own we checked out a local waterfall only minutes away from TikiVillas. It had a beautiful swimming area and waterfall you could slide down! The 'whale tale' beach is a must, preferably after 4, so its less hot, the tide is low and you can see the beautiful coast at sunset.

Pablo and Gary can give you more details, but personally we thoroughly enjoyed these trips and it definitely made our trip to CR.

Room Tip: We liked our villa as it was nestled between 1 and 5 who both were either closer to the parking area...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank chrisbernst
Belleville, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

I totally agree with the “Magical Stay” contributor, that TikiVillas manages to hit all 3—construction, location, amazing staff--right on the head! Having read many of the positive reviews of TikiVillas, we were most excited to arrive for our overnight stay in the mountains overlooking the Pacific. With our rented 4 x 4 and the explicit directions from the TikiVillas website, we arrived without any problems. We were greeted by Gary and offered a complimentary banana cocktail beside the beautiful infinity pool, such a welcoming gesture after a long, hot drive. The view from our room was stunning, with a deck to enjoy the late afternoon sunshine and the toucans, blue-gray tanagers, hummingbirds and cherrie’s tanager, all of whom were sighted in the first hour! We were also entertained by crescendos of Costa Rican cicada’s throughout the evening. The rooms were extremely clean, with modern fixtures and adjoining jungle shower. We slept with the wall-length doors wide open and had no insect intruders whatsoever. Although there is an air conditioner in the room, the fan and ocean breeze provided a comfortable sleep and the opportunity to wake to a wonderful myriad of jungle sounds.

Jungle Blue restaurant and bar area is very well designed, again with a gorgeous view over the forest to the ocean. The dinner menu included a variety of dishes featuring local, fresh produce. The food presentation and service was exceptional. The Tiki tropical salad was particularly tasty!! Breakfast was served beginning with a selection of fresh fruit, fruit juice, coffee and followed by a selection of delicious cooked options.

The staff were very attentive, including Chef Fran. Both Gary and Pablo speak excellent English and were extremely enthusiastic and helpful in providing information about the area and directions to where we were headed.

As we were using Tikis Villas only as a stopover, we cannot comment on the beach or activities offered in the area, but from the point of view of accommodation, it deserves five stars. We would most definitely return.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mar1957
Austin, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

Anyone can build some buildings in a lovely locale and call it a hotel, but it takes a difficult combination of construction, location, and, most importantly, staff to make it something special. TikiVillas manages to hit all 3 on the head.
We stayed a week in villas 2 and 3, and we all had a fabulous time. It was an enjoyable 3-hour drive from SJO, and the lodge is right off the main highway. There is a rather rocky road to climb, so a 4-wheel drive is a must. The villas are just as they appear on the website. They are spacious and comfortable and are situated to take advantage of the wonderful ocean and jungle views. And although we were fairly close to the highway, it is a lightly traveled road and each day and night we only heard the ocean, the birds, and the cicadas.
This is a small hotel, so the staff is small as well. And what a wonderful staff they are! They really made our stay so enjoyable. Pablo and Gary took care of us all week, and they were so helpful and kind and they made sure we had everything we needed every day. The chef is fantastic as well, so much so that we ate the majority of our meals at their restaurant, Jungle Blue. The meals and drinks are very reasonable, too, which was a bonus, since everything we had was delicious.
The complimentary breakfasts are made to order, and you can choose from a traditional Tico breakfast (our fav) to granola, to eggs and bacon and pancakes. All include fresh local fruit and bread, plus coffee/tea and juice.
The rooms were very clean. We liked having the kitchenette, esp. the small refrigerator. We ran the A/C unit at night, and it worked very well. There was also a standing fan to provide breezes on days when there were few.
The town of Uvita is just large enough to have everything you need and yet still small enough to be peaceful and not too touristy.
Thank you again, Pablo and Gary, for a great stay! Our son (age 14) said he is going to come back here someday for his honeymoon, and he hopes to see you both then! ;-) (Do you think he'd mind if we came with him?! LOL)

Room Tip: All villas have terrific views. Villas 2 and 3 are slightly higher up and thus involve a steeper cli...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family