“That Was Such A Fun Day - Tx Barnie & Juanete!”
Review of Costa Canyoning

Costa Canyoning
Ranked #4 of 16 Outdoor Activities in Uvita
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We here at Costa Canyoning are stoked to share with you an experience of a lifetime! Come descend 6 different breathtaking waterfalls down our warm tropical canyon! With over 14 years of international canyon guiding experience, we know how to get you down fun and safe! "Probably The Best waterfall tour in Costa Rica!"
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Lockers / storage
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We came with a group of 6 of us and we had the best time.

Barnie (Carlos) and Juanete were great guides. Very professional, relaxing and made it a lot of fun. I wasn't sure if I could do the last waterfall because it was the steepest but they totally coached me through it. Woo hoo - thanks guys! They were also careful to advise clients when they felt that they should NOT go through certain areas...gave me confidence to see they were looking out for our safety instead of letting anyone just go wherever they felt like. All done with a smile.

They made sure that we got a lot of photos together, as couples and individually. We were there for 4 different waterfalls and even got a complimentary drink, fruit plates and chips/salsa. More than enough for everyone.

Will definitely go again!

Reviewed 23 May 2014

I really hate to be the debbie downer of the reviews here, but this was disappointing in ways.

We signed up for this adventure early as part of our honeymoon. As we got closer to the date of depature, I e-mailed and asked for directions as there are none on their website. I was told to ask wherever I was staying for directions, which doesn't come accross very well. I asked Gary at our hotel for directions, which he sent us to their old location. They are very close from their old location, but this could have been avoided. When we arrived at their old location, we were told to go in the opposite direction and look for the archway. We found the archway, but there are no identifying factors that you are in the right place. It looks like they are just using the space of an old hotel or restaurant?

When we arrived we had to wait for other people, there was a group of 8 or so others that joined us, who were all great friendly people.

We really enjoyed the activity rappelling down each of the waterfalls, but these are our complaints...
*We skipped a waterfall to hike and basically slide down a muddy mess of a hill. Carlos told us because we were good, it would just be faster to do this route. Okay that is great, but we paid to rapel, not skip ones, regardless of the reason (good, raining, big group, etc.).
*The pictures were disappointing overall. Sometimes Carlos would forget to take pictures, and sometimes he would get good ones. Several are also unfocused or blurry. I understand it is not the top of the line camera, I just would have thought they would have come out better. Also, they are just overhead shots of us going down, it would have been nice to have some with someone at the bottom taking them as we are coming down with the background of the waterfall. I also would have liked to see pictures of the waterfalls, that way we could have told people back home, hey that is what we rappelled down! At the last waterfall, I told Carlos that it was our honeymoon and I would like my husband to go down at the same time with me for a picture (two people at a time on the last one). He was accommodating to that, but he had Kevin go partly down and me stay at the top for the picture. So I am right there with Kevin below, not exactly the romantic or couple picture I was hoping for. So if you want good pictures, bring your own water camera - just note you will have to jump into the water at the bottom of the falls, so it needs to be able to endure that.
*Also with the pictures, the cd did not work in my husband's laptop, and I e-mailed the company to request the pictures. 4 days later (still no response from the company), I tried on my work computer and was able to get them to pull up, so you may have to have some specific reader or program on your computer. I e-mailed them back to let them know it worked, and somehow shortly later I got a response from them.
*The tour says it will be 3-4 hours, which Carlos said it would be around 3. Which is great, we thought we would get a small snack and would be finished for lunch. Well we started at 9 and did not get to the snack until 2:30. The snack includes 3 pieces of fruit with chips and salsa, and a drink. All the other tours we were on included lunch, something they should consider. The other thing I thought was bad etiquette was that the guides were served their drinks first, while I waited for my smoothie for a bit.

I will not take away that we had a fun time with each of the waterfalls, but I would rather try another company in CR next time.

2  Thank Megan T
Reviewed 19 May 2014

This was so much fun! the waterfalls and views were breath taking, the rappelling was exciting and our guide Carlos was absolutely hilariously funny while still being very focused on everyone's safety and ability levels and he quickly makes you feel like one of his buddies while also pointing out details about local plants and animals encountered along the way.

The only criticism I have and the reason I gave 4 instead of 5 stars is that even though it should be common sense, when making the reservation, they should remind you to get a good breakfast in before getting there as you will need the energy and also that you should bring a dry set of clothes to change into upon returning. Also the food they serve you when you return is more of a snack so you may want to bring something and leave it in your car to hold you over until you can get a bigger meal, we were there from 9am until 3pm so a snack after missing lunch all together was disappointing especially since the other activity I had done the day before was $30 less and included both breakfast and lunch and was just as many hours long.

1  Thank Cya38
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

This is where our Costa Rican adventure began...and the three of us agree...this was the highlight! A big shout out to Carlos (aka Barney) and Juane...you guys are the best! You not only made us feel safe while enjoying our first repelling experience, you made us feel like long-time friends. We also had the pleasure of meeting Scotty, the owner, by chance the same evening @Bar Jolly Roger(our pick for "best wings" in CR, btw!!!). We wish continued success...you have a good thing going on here. Tops on our list for a return visit with the whole Corliss Crew!

Reviewed 28 April 2014

First of all I have to start off by saying that Carlos and Juanes were two of the most amazing individuals we have met in our lifetime. Not only did they keep us safe during our adventure, but they truly showed and expressed their love for the country and all it has to offer. The canyoning experience was by far one of the best expereinces in Costa Rica. As we started our tour, both Carlos and Juanes took their time explaining the process, they allowed us plenty of time to venture down the canyons, and we were even able to take great pictures of the blue jean dart frog. When in Costa Rica, this is a tour you must do and make sure you use this company. This was worth every penny!