“First Dive!”
Review of Mad About Diving

Mad About Diving
More attraction details
Owner description: MAD ABOUT DIVING is the only PADI 5 Star Instructor Development Centre in Osa Peninsula. PADI is the largest association of recreational divers in the world and we recognize certification cards from all other diving associations.Dive, snorkel or train with us and find out first hand why so many clients make us their number one choice.Explore the best dive sites that Costa Rica has to offer and discover the beauty that Caño Island Biological Reserve, Marino Ballena National Park and Costa Ballena have to offer.MAD, short for MAD ABOUT DIVING, is known for having the highest quality service. We treat clients like guests: you never cart your gear around, change your tanks or rinse equipment; our friendly staff does it for you.As the premier dive facility, we also deliver top notch training. Our team consists of PADI Divemasters and Instructors that have years of professional diving experience in a multitude of marine environments.
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Our family of 3 (son is 13) selected Mad About Diving because it is a PADI approved shop and we needed to finish up our open water scuba certification. Pablo was incredibly patient, knowledgeable, professional, and put all of us at ease. We are from the Midwest in the US, so we love the water, but there's no ocean nearby, so scuba here was quite exciting for us. The 2nd day we finished the last of our required skills, then embarked on a great dive around Cano Island. The visibility was good, and we saw several fish, sharks, and turtles. We can't wait to return and request Pablo!

1  Thank RENEDSE
"snorkeling guide"
"great experiences"
"great company"

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Pablo and Laura, the couple who own the shop are two of the most genuine people you will come across. They run a grade A operation and routinely went out of their way to help me and my friends (even giving us rides to local points of interest). Caño island was an incredible dive site with great visibility and marine life (sharks, rays, puffers, dolphins). Pablo is an extremely knowledgable diver, gave us a reasonable rate, and made the experience safe and enjoyable. He also was very helpful in providing information on where I could get medicine for an ear infection. Overall I would definitely recommend Mad About Diving. After dealing with many dive companies around the world in the past two years, MAD is definitely above the rest.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

I first met Pablo and his wife's name Laura around midday on a Thursday. Pablo had kindly agreed to help me complete my scuba certification that coming weekend on short notice. He was encouraging when first teaching me the basics about diving with him, and excited on the next two dives I completed with him and some friends the following two days. Not only was he an excellent instructor and guide, but his equipment was clean and reliable, and his knowledge of the areas we explored was impressive. Pablo is also just the kind of person you want to meet and hang out with on a stay in Uvita. He is personable, has a good sense of humor, and was very helpful in telling us about the area as well as suggesting fun things to do while there. I highly recommend anyone reading this review to give it a go. Scuba diving is an incredible experience and Pablo will make it that much more enjoyable and exhilirating.

1  Thank Jocokap
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We had a great time with Pablo and Lauren completing our open water certification. Pablo was very patient and made us feel completely comfortable in the water. We felt like we really learned the drills and had a blast diving at Cano Island. So many sharks, fish, dolphins, and turtles...the trip was amazing.

See more reviews
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I'd like to separate my review into several parts:

The people:

Pablo took me from never having scuba dived before all the way through to Advanced Open Water certification in a week. Before we started I was communicating back and forth with Laura who runs the shop. Laura and Pablo are a married couple that run the business and are just the greatest people. Both are very professional in the approach to their business. Communication with Laura was easy, timely, and accurate. Instruction from Pablo was first rate. Always calm, patient, and informative. he always had an alternative if something wasn't working quite right. I couldn't imagine a better instructor. The captain of the boat and his helpers were always pleasant, always smiling, and good to be around.

The operation:

Having never dived before I had nothing really to compare it with. However, I knew from how smooth everything seemed to go that it was definitely well run. I got to test that over the weekend when I went out for a dive in Quepos with another dive company. Unfortunately, there weren't enough people to dive in Uvita with Pablo so I went to a busier town (Quepos) and a different dive company. The difference between the two was stark. I'll leave a review for that company on their site and won't go into detail here but, suffice to say, it's pretty obvious that Pablo and Laura are committed to setting a high standard, not interested in just taking your money, concerned and careful with respect to your experience, and they don't compromise their standards.

The dive sites:

We went to Cano Island a couple of times and it was fabulous. We saw sharks, a huge manta ray, stingrays, scorpion fish, box fish, sea turtles, dolphins, etc. we also went to a few other sites to practice the skills needed for my certification which were fitting with what I needed to learn.

Overall:

Mad About Diving is a great operation. Pablo and Laura are wonderful people and know what they're doing. They have great staff and they'll ensure that your experience will exceed your expectation.

1  Thank 941SteveB999941