“Incredible experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Diablo Sportfishing

Diablo Sportfishing
More attraction details
Owner description: Owner operated fishing charter. Captain Kevin Malone is a USCG Licensed master Captain, IGFA certified and has a lifetime of fishing experience. Top of the line professional gear, tackle, electronics and safety equipment. Offshore, Inshore trips and Whale, dolphin and turtle tours as well. Full or 1/2 day.
Boulder, Colorado
“Incredible experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

I am a life-long fisherman but more of the Rocky Mountain trout variety. I didn't know what to expect of my first deep sea fishing experience but I could tell we were in great hands as soon as we met Kevin. Not only is he a super nice buy but he's also a great captain and fisherman. I honestly didn't know he'd be taking me, my son, my friend and his son 25 miles out to sea but he definitely took us where the fish were. Withing 20 minutes we had tied into a 40 pound mahi mahi that unfortunately pulled off a few feet from the boat (for which we owed the wives and kids a nice seafood dinner out in Dominical). A bit later in the the day, however, we landed our first 110 pound Sailfish and then another an hour later of the same size. Can't complain about that day of fishing! I'll be back and I will definitely head out with Captain Kevin again! I could not give him a higher recommendation. You can't go wrong.

Visited December 2013

Austin, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent Family Guide”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2013

My wife and I went fishing with Kevin Feb 2012. I caught my first HUGE sailfish. We enjoyed it so much, in February 2013 we returned with our two boys(9&7). On our second trip we raised 4 big sailfish, and caught 3 Dorado(mahi mahi), yummy. The largest Mahi, which my wife caught, was over 50 lbs. The seas were calm, the fishing was hot, and our kids loved it. Not only did we catch great fish, we saw hundreds of dolphins and easily dozens of sea turtles. Playa Dominicalito is a rare treasure. Go fishing with Kevin while you are in Costa Rica, you will not regret it.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Matt W
Cataumet, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“repeat customer”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2013

this was my third year in a row fishing with capt malone. Every year gets better than the last , Blue marlin ,black marlin sailfish, yellowfin tuna,mahi mahi, roosters,jacks ,cubera ....weve caught em all .This year we even rescued a entangled sea turtle . Ill be back for many years to come .

Visited February 2013
1 Thank scottc361
New York City, New York
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“I caught a "grander" (1,000 pound black marlin), what more can I say!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2011

Those that know ocean/deep sea fishing know that a 21 foot center console boat is not something everyone can be comfortable in to begin with, let alone going 25 miles offshore, but I'm one of those that is. We slow-trolled live bonita (which we caught without much difficulty as we needed them). One early hit from a sailfish didn't result in a hookup, and we spent until 1:30 without a battle, but then we made up for it with a 3 1/2 hour marathon with the marlin that fishing dreams are made of - all on a 50 pound rig! (I even ran a full marathon in less time than it took to bring this fish in).

We would have had it in 45 minutes earlier but the single outboard engine on o
ur small boat died at the most impromptu moment, just as we first leadered the fish (got the leader in hand - i.e. had the fish at the boat). Which was interesting itself as we only had it right there because it got pissed off, probably about being latched onto such a small boat for so long, and attacked the boat (minimal damage). We had some of the best surface jumps and runs I've ever seen out of a marlin with this fish. Sailfish are better known for the acrobatics than marlin are, especially giant marlin.

We got dangerously late coming in with that long, epic battle and went through the debris zone in near darkness, barely avoiding a few logs and a couple turtles as we did, and it was pitch black by the time we made it all the way into the "marina" in Playa Dominicalito - which is really just a collection of a dozen boats on mooring buoys in a cove, there are no docks, no real facilities, etc.

Kevin the solo guide/mate/owner gave us a great deal and was very nice.

Disclaimer: we released the fish so I can't prove it was 1,000 pounds, but if it wasn't, it was darn close - and no, that's still well under the world record even for the 50 pound tackle I was on (many people use 80 to as much as 120 pound test tackle for monster marlin fishing).

Visited February 2011