“The Big Bamboo: Perfect for any traveler”
Review of Big Bamboo Uvita

Big Bamboo Uvita
Ranked #6 of 15 Uvita B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 September 2013

The Big Bamboo has it all...a great central location to many attractions, clean rooms with great views and comfy beds. The air conditioner and hot showers are very welcoming after a day of touring. I must say the very best part of The Big Bamboo is Lupe's cooking. My 16 students and adult chaperone raved about the quality and variations of food that were provided. The laundry services really came in handy and it was such a blessing not to come home from vacation and do a bunch of laundry. Denis and Chad were relaxed and accommodating- my students are begging me to bring them back this coming summer. Never did we imagine that we would see a troop of monkeys eating the fresh fruit in the trees right outside our balcony. We can't wait to go back and experience Costa Rica again in Uvita at The Big Bamboo :)

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jonell C

Reviewed 17 August 2013

Uvita was the highlight of our trip. We traveled with 3 teens who learned to Surf with the help of the big bamboo. Our next stop was Manuel Antonio and after one night there, everyone wanted to go back to Uvita and the big bamboo. Uvita is not a tourist town (yet) and that was so refreshing! We had a sloth and monkeys behind our room and that was so cool. The beaches are cleaner and much less crowded that MA. We also enjoyed all of our meals that Lupita served and we enjoyed being part of the local culture. Our group wanted fun, comfort and safety and we found it. There is so much to do in this part of Costa Rica. You can go surfing, whale watching, horseback riding, fishing, snorkeling, hiking to waterfalls, etc. This is a great spot for a large group. Thank you Big Bamboo and we can't wait to see you again!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Had a gr8 stay at Bamboo, the rooms were very clean and had good a/c.Lots of tasty well cooked food provided by Doña Lupita and her daughter, they went out of their way to make our stay as comfortable as possible even playing with our baby boy whilst we ate! the surrounding area is beautiful with monkeys scooting around in the forest behind our room.A bonus was that we could take our 2 dogs who love their beach trips and is sometimes difficult to find a place that receives pets, they stayed outside the room and enjoyed their stay.We didnt make it to the waterfalls (next time) but made the most of visiting the national park and various beaches that are all nice in their own way.

Room Tip: we took the far room as not to bother other guests with our dogs but we had the place to ourselves a...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 May 2013

This hotel is absolutely amazing! It's situated very nicely so that you're near both the mountains and the ocean. The property is clean and there is both hot water and air conditioning, a rarity in that part of the country. The food from the restaurant was wonderful and the staff was incredibly caring and eager to make everyone comfortable. I highly recommend this hotel for anyone in the area.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 March 2013

March 10-18, 2013: My friend and I flew to Costa Rica to spend eight nights in Uvita, located on the Pacific side of the country. We flew on Spirit Airlines and arrived around 1:30pm (delay in our flight from Ft. Lauderdale).

My friend Denis, one of the owners of BBU (full disclosure) picked us up at the San Jose airport. Because it was a Sunday, the lanes on highway 27 heading south were closed for several hours in order to allow the beach crowds to head home. Our drive to Uvita was a lot longer than planned but we enjoyed the mountain views, lunch (Delicias de mi Tierra in Alajuela) and a quick stop at Tárcoles River to see the 30+ American crocodiles resting in the water.

I was given room #3, which is a basic room with a queen bed and a set of bunk beds (my friend had room #1 with the same set up but being at the end of the building had a side window). There’s a flat screen tv, a/c (a plus in hot Costa Rica); and the back of the room has a tiled counter top with two sets of shelves below for storage and a mirror on the wall. Hangers are not provided (no closet in the room), so I would just hang my clothes on the bunk bed railing. I did bring my own hangers.

The bathroom has a small sink with a mirror, toilet and a nice large walk-in shower with running hot water. The back of the door has hooks to hang items.

The free wifi worked well for me when I was in the dining area but didn’t work too well in the room. However, my friend had her ipad and had no problems using it in her room (#1). I was using my Samsung smartphone while on the trip.

The beds are hard but not uncomfortable. Being a picky with pillows I brought my own. The rooms have tiled flooring and ceiling fans.

The grounds are lovely with tropical plants and flowers. There are three buildings to BBU: Five rooms in one building, located on the lower level of the grounds (there’s about a dozen steps down to the building); the kitchen and dining area (with a public bathroom on the back side); and another building with a suite at the top floor and laundry room and storage on the lower level.

Lupita does the cooking and housekeeping at BBU. All of the dishes that she prepared were very good except for the fish, which the sauce was extremely salty and the beef, which was dry/overcooked. Every morning she would bring out a beautiful platter of fresh fruit. The portions of the dinners were perfect and filling. We were served a nice variety of foods during our stay. We also met Danny, another employee at BBU.

We enjoyed some lunches while out during the day to include La Pondersoa (near Osa Mountain area), Tortilla Flats (in Dominical), and Bar Restaurante Rancho Manuel (just north of Jaco).

There’s a small waterfall and bar/restaurant about ½ mile from BBU, which we enjoyed a few times. It’s only $1 to get in. Drinks and food at the bar are inexpensive.

The little town of Uvita has a nice grocery store, a bar/restaurant across, a bank with an ATM that gives you the choice of taking out local currency or USD, and a couple of shops.

We had wonderful day trips, which included visits to Playa Ventanas (a beautiful beach) and Marino Ballena National Park (both just a couple of miles from BBU); Manuel Antonio National Park, horseback riding to Nauyaca waterfalls, and so on. You can read the details of our trip here: http://monicapileggi.blogspot.com/2013/03/8-night-trip-to-costa-rica.html

Staying at BBU allowed us to enjoy the sights of the southern Pacific coast, although we didn’t get the chance to go to Corcovado. Corcovado will be on my list for a future trip.

For anyone looking for a simple place to stay (hostel-type place with the added tv, a/c, and free wifi) with great service, delicious and inexpensive meals, and a very good location to this part of Costa Rica, I highly recommend BBU.

Room Tip: Bring earplugs if you don't like being woken to the sounds of roosters.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank mjpileggi
Reviewed 31 March 2013

Comfortable bed, much appreciated A/C and delicious food. If you want an adventurous horse ride to beautiful waterfalls, unique beaches, surfing lessons, zip lines etc. you can do it all from right here! Loved Ventana beach for its beauty, Hermosa beach for surfing and every meal I ate at Big Bamboo.

Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 29 March 2013

This is a very nice place to stay. Clean rooms with good beds. Breakfast and dinner were delicious and reasonably priced. Owner and staff are very friendly and Chad (owner) took us even to Hermosa beach for a surflesson.
Very beautifull beaches!
On the website it says there is seaview but you need to get a car to get to the sea (no seaview but nice garden). Might be difficult to find. From Dominical turn left immediately after the gas station in Uvita up the dirt road, hotel is almost at the end on your right. You can park your car in front of the hotel. Short walk to banks, supermarket and restaurants.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family