“Experience of a Lifetime....”

Kura Design Villas Uvita
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Uvita
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Experience of a Lifetime....”
Reviewed 18 July 2013

As you will likely see I do not write reviews often, if ever. For our stay at Kura it is hard to know where to even begin. Having traveled in Central America the past 15 years my wife and I opted to begin the trip with the beautiful drive down the coastal highway from San Jose.We arrived after dark but it was immediately apparent we had stumbled onto something very special. The pictures on the website are beautiful but come no where close to capturing the aesthetic awe Kura provides its' guests. The rooms come with a view money cannot buy. The chef is in his twenties and cooks like he has been in fine dining for 20 years. The owners, Martin and Alejandra are inspiring with their story in designing and building this marvel 1500ft above sea level. Everyone at Kura is there on a mission to create something unique for each of its' visitors. If you are looking for a peaceful, elegant and unique vacation with 5-star service and luxury amenities I don't know that you will find anything close to Kura anywhere else in Central America.

We do not like repeating vacations and never have but we will be back to visit Kura.

Room Tip: We stayed in two of the three offered and they were both incredible. We saw the third and you cannot...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JLWardo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Coto de Caza, California
Reviewed 16 July 2013

So many superlatives to describe this truly amazing place...I will only add to this! God created paradise in 6 days....Martin and Alejandra took 3 years but you would be hard pressed to tell the difference! I would even go so far as to say, add this place to your bucket list...you MUST get there before, well, you know!
Only 6 amazing villas right now....but to die for...outstanding design...and uncompromising service of the highest order, all basking in Eco friendly operations with a view to die for!...
I have been to Turtle Island in Fiji, Bora Bora, Bermuda, Bahamas, all the Hawaiian Islands many times...Kura leaves them all in the dust ....you have to go to believe...
Woke up to 8 gorgeous toucans playing in the trees right outside my balcony my first morning there!

Room Tip: They are all great but room 5 may have the best view of all....
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 822JohnS
Sydney
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Congratulations if you have found this magical place- book it now!!!!

We loved our time at Kura and did not want to leave. Incredible food, incredible property but most important of all, incredible people... Uvita is the PLACE TO BE in CR..Went in green season and it was perfect... the noise of cicadas, birds and monkeys from our balcony were surreal..we saw Toucans in the mornings.. and the Pool!!!!!

A special shout out to both Anas,Martin,Alan, Marco, Alejandra and Arianna... Get a massage from Arianna she is awesome both me and wife loved our treatments. We will never forget our time there, hopefully return soon, and might be able to convince some family members to make the trip over also!

Also visit Uvita Beach (great ceviche joint down at the beach) , La Fogata, and touristy Manuel Antonio is worth a sidetrip...Much Love to everyone there!

Room Tip: All 6 Villas/Suites are great . Lower ones have better view of forest/trees. Top ones have better pa...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JLP8288
New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 June 2013

My partner & I stayed at Kura for four nights in early April and it was hands down the best experience I have ever had at a hotel. Not that I haven't stayed at nice hotels before, but this is more than just a nice hotel. It is a complete experience.

First of all, the hotel itself is amazing. There are only six suites and each one has the most spectacular views of the ocean and the surrounding rainforest. The design of the rooms is stunning. Clean lines, minimal yet functional, superbly decorated. And the lighting is wonderful too. The infinity pool is stunning. We must have taken 100 pictures of and in the pool.

The staff couldn't be nicer. We talked a lot with Adam, one of the bartenders, a lot, but everyone was fantastic, courteous and pleasant to talk to. Two days into our stay we discovered that two of the people waiting on us were in fact the owners.

Best of all the staff made us feel totally welcome. As a gay couple traveling you sometimes have to worry about how you are treated or explaining that you don't want two separate beds, but there were none of those issues at Kura.

The food was wonderful. The menu is slightly limited given the setting (and I imagine the difficultly getting orders to the top of a mountain), but that's totally understandable. Plus they make the most of fresh, local ingredients and prepare everything amazingly well, so everything tastes incredible.

STAY AT KURA! You'll be glad you did.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank AustinANYC
Cayuga S, Manager at Kura Design Villas Uvita, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
Dear AustinANYC,
greetings from Kura in sunny Costa Rica. Thank you for your flattering review of your stay with us. We agree that Kura is much more than just a hotel room and a pool (although as you pointed out, the room and the pool are quite nice) but rather an experience. We have been open for just 7 months and are already getting lots of requests by former guests to come back. The concept is working. We are currently creating new menu items. We wanted to open with a reduced menu and make sure that everything would be real tasty, but now that things are flowing, we are ready to add some items in the next months. We hope you continue to recommend us and look forward to seeing you again soon. All the best.
Ithaca, New York
Reviewed 11 June 2013

My husband and I spent our honeymoon at Kura and quite frankly, could not have found a better place to spend time together. It is in the most romantic setting, atop a mountain in Uvita overlooking the "Whale's Tale" sandbar and the pristine beaches of the Pacific coast. Kura was designed by Martin, the owner, who is an architect and it is run by he and his lovely wife, Alejandra. Every detail was attended to in both it's design and operation. The employees are most professional and accomodating and the level of service is 5-star, which is amazing, given it's remote and isolated location. The beauty of Kura is that you can do as little or as much as you like and have a wonderful time. My favorite activity was lounging either on our private balcony overlooking the Whale's Tale and bird-watching or reading by the infinity pool, also overlooking the Whale's Tale. The food is spectacular! I ate ceviche every day and never tired of it. I recommend you try EVERYTHING on the menu. You won't be disappointed. We rented a 4-wheel drive and toured Quepos and Manuel Antonio, which was fun and spent the day at the 3 Sisters' Beach, which was also memorable (Kura has a private entrance to the beach). I highly recommend Kura for a romantic get-away in the middle of nowhere. A special shout-out to Adam, Marcos, Lillia, and the housekeeping staff. Thanks for the Spanish lessons, Adam. If only we had another week, I think we could have become conversant ;) Maybe next year!

Room Tip: All villas are spectacular with the same breathtaking views of the Whale's Tale.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tchotchke
Manuel Antonio National Park, Costa Rica
Reviewed 9 June 2013

I live in Manuel Antonio (Costa Rica) and had read and heard so much about this new resort, a last minute opportunity gave me the chance to experience it myself......and it hit 5 Stars on my personal big three........Design/Views/Ambiance......the resort is beautiful.....the pool is amazing.....the layout of the restaurant/bar/pool/deck area is perfect......the rooms are huge.....I love the modern style mixed with warm woods......panoramic views from the bed, the shower, the couches, the hammock, the balcony.....and you can open the room completely to the outdoors in order to enjoy the cool breezes and fresh air.....meals were excellent.....service was friendly.....with only 6 suites......definitely the place for privacy, luxury, relaxation, seclusion.....much has been written about the road to the resort.....like so many of my favorite hotels in Costa Rica....the trip there is part of the adventure and what makes it special.....I will be back.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank TulemarDave
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 2 June 2013

From the moment our driver Marcos picked us up we knew we were in for an unforgettable stay. When we arrived at the top of the mountain we were warmly greeted by the owners Martin and Alejandra. When making our way upstairs we were blown away by the view and property design. You truly have stepped into a paradise in the clouds. We were offered a welcome drink (a delicious jaguar colada) and great conversation on how Kurá came to be. Afterwards we were shown to our suite by Martin who continuously emphasized making ourselves at home and enjoying all Kurá had to offer.

Our room was perfect. The bed so comfortable! The shower was an unbelievable combination of inside and outdoor, with the sliding door option. The balcony is where we spent most afternoons napping I the hammock and taking I the gorgeous view of the whales tale.

The food was incredible. Each meal even better than the last somehow. Breakfast with the exquisite fruit plates, fresh breads, and customizable menu options. Lunch provided traditional casado with other delicious options. Dinner was 5-star! I highly recommend the pomodoro and tuna!

I can't complete a review without talking about the amazing staff! Alejandra, Martin, Adam, Marcos, Adrianna, Anna, Lilia, and others whose names we didn't catch were AMAZING! Everyone was so attentive and resourceful. It was a family feel by the end of the trip.

We can't recommend this place enough. We will never forget our beautiful time spent here and hope to return sooner rather than later!

Pura Vida