“Relaxation and Luxury in a Gorgeous Place”

Kura Design Villas Uvita
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Uvita
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Portola Valley, California, United States
“Relaxation and Luxury in a Gorgeous Place”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

A friend and I stayed at Kura in June 2014 for four days and three nights and had an amazing time. The views are world-class exceptional in both directions - the pacific ocean on one side and the jungle on the other. The hotel and villas are gorgeous, comfortable and uniquely designed. The staff was friendly and courteous (think the style of an Aman resort). Special call out to the infinity pool which is breathtaking and the trip to their private beach. We were also pleasantly surprised at the food - it was really amazing. We both travel often so have lots of context. Overall, we could not have been happier with Kura and strongly recommend the hotel, especially for anyone looking for a romantic getaway in a small place (there are only six rooms) where everyone knows your name!

Room Tip: There are only six rooms and they all seem amazing!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jason P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
New Jersey
Reviewed 25 June 2014

My husband and I traveled to Kura for our honeymoon. We stayed at Kura for 7 nights and never wanted to leave! There is not ONE thing I would complain about. I hope Kura never changes and maybe even opens in other locations (hehe)…..

TRAVEL TO KURA: YES the road up to Kura is bumpy with loads of turns but they are not what everyone makes them out to be on some of these reviews. We actually opted to be picked up and dropped off for our flights because of the reviews but we could’ve easily rented a car and made the trips up and down the roads by ourselves.

VIEWS: Be prepared to have your breath taken away when you walk up the stairs to the main lobby/pool area. The views are the BEST I have ever seen. All the walls at the hotel are glass so nothing is off limits.

POOL: The pool is stunning. My favorite part of the day was going into the pool, leaning against the edge, and looking out to the ocean. We would often see beautiful butterflies, birds, and etc. Also. the staff would come around and ask what your favorite band/artist is and then would play it for you while you were at the pool. These small touches make your stay so much more amazing. They really go above and beyond for you at Kura. Another thing about the pool that I loved is the fire pit inside the pool. I was amazed during dinner one night when it went on. They have games at the pool par. My Husband and I would play cards all the time and jenga. We had a lot of fun with the card games.

BEACH: The hotel does free transportation to the beach every day. They leave around 10am and pick you back up around 2pm. Its maybe a 20 minute ride back down into town but it’s completely worth the ride. We had so much fun there. The beach is only for Kura guests and very private. There was only one other couple who went to the beach that day so we really had the whole place to ourselves. We explored and went walking around. It was stunning. We heard a lot of the howling monkeys there but never saw them. The hotel packed us up water, beer, soda, towels, and even set up a umbrella and chairs. They also pack you up snacks if you ask but we waited to go back to the hotel for lunch instead.

ROOM: One word; AMAZING. You really only want to leave to go swim or eat. I could’ve laid around all day and just stared out the windows. We got to see all kinds of birds, geicos, and frogs while in the room. One particular day I was showering and 3 toucans landed in the tree rite outside the shower window. It was beautiful. We would wake up to the birds singing every morning and the sun shining. It put us in the best mood for the day. The showers are amazing BTW and well as the big patios. We drank coffee out on the patio many mornings before breakfast using our espresso machine.

FOOD: Everything I ate at Kura was delicious. There menu is limited but that’s to be expected considering there is only 6 couples at a time. For breakfast you will get a plate of fruit, juice of the day, coffee, banana bread (BEST EVER- wish I got the recipe), and then you can choose something off their breakfast menu. For example; an omelet, yogurt w. granola, etc. Breakfast is included with your stay. You pay for drinks, and anything else after breakfast. Snacks before lunch were great; we loved the cheese and meat croquets. I believe they had sushi on that menu as well. My husband enjoyed the sushi very much and said it was very fresh. For lunch they have about 5 options and also a separate set of appetizers. I say separate because these are not the snack options I talked about above. We usually would split the steak sandwich for lunch every day because it was delicious and very big. It comes with seasoned potatoes as well. For dinner they have a steak, chicken, pasta, fish, and veggie option. The fish option would change because they do “catch of the day.” My husband would get this every night and LOVED it. He said the fish at Kura was better than any other fish he ever had. Dessert was also good every night. We would usually share and our favorite was the chocolate lava cake and flan. Kura did two special Costa Rican food nights while we were there. It was buffet style and very delicious! It also gave you a chance to meet and talk with the other guests. We would all meet at the bar around 7pm and have drinks and appetizers before the staff would seat us all for the buffet. We especially liked those nights.

DRINKS: SO GOOD. I really enjoyed the jaguar colada and the wines. My Husband loved the local brewed beers they had. He misses them a lot.

STAFF: I have to say this was by the far the friendliest staff we ever met during a vacation. Everyone knows you by name. They remember all the small things like how you take your coffee, the band/artist you like to play at the pool, and so much more. One night, one of the staff members gave my husband a recipe to one the drinks he loved to have every night after dinner. We were so surprised and appreciative. I have already made it twice for my husband but he says Adam makes it better!  Shout out to Adam and Kenneth. You guys made our stay AMAZING. Miss you guys!

SMALL THINGS I LOVED: You can ask for IPad during your stay. They have one available for each room. We were able to keep in touch with family, listen to music in the room, and read books with the Ipad. Wi-Fi is free at Kura so this was great.

BORUCA MASKS: You will see them all over Kura. They are all absolutely beautiful. We ended up buying one at the end of our stay. I already have it hung up in our living room and it’s a beautiful reminder of our honeymoon and stay at Kura.

I don’t even know what else to say about Kura besides do not hesitate or question this vacation; BOOK IT NOW! I promise you will not regret it.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Kellie_Rivera
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 June 2014

My wife and I were at Kura in January for our honeymoon. It was the last of 4 hotels we stayed at while in Costa Rica and it was definitely a case of saving the best for last.

We were looking forward to arriving at Kura, especially after all of the comments on line and precautions regarding driving to the villas at night and the need for a "strong" 4x4. In the end it really was not a big deal going up the very steep and bumpy dirt road leading to the hotel. We actually enjoyed the coming and going as part of the adventure. The path is well marks, although we would recommend arriving while the sun is up, at least the first time.

From the moment we arrived at the gates the experience was flawless. The staff is so friendly you feel like guests at a friends house and not a hotel. We stayed in one of the Infinity Villas and didn't want to leave. The villa was clean, modern, private and the little touches like mood lighting in the evenings made coming back a joy. The infinity pool is the most beautiful we've seen, with great views of the Whale's Tail and sunset.

Being foodies, we were happily surprised but the food offerings. Modern fusion takes on local cuisine. One evening they had a buffet style sampling of local foods which was fun for everyone. The only possible downside was that the menu selection is tight so if you're there for more than a few nights you'll want to venture just down the hill for some local food. The staff was great with recommendations.

The best kept secret of Kura has to be the private access beach, about 5 minutes drive away. It is not private but with the limited access it sure felt like it. The staff packed lunch baskets for us and I have to say it was one of the best days I've ever spent on the beach.

Understand this review may be a little thick on the compliments and praise for Kura, but it really is deserved. Some of the best memories from our honeymoon. We would love to keep this our little secret but we want to hotel and staff to be rewarded for their hard work. Don't think, just book it and count down the days until your visit!

Room Tip: We loved our Infinity Villa at the bottom of the private stairs. Although with only and handful of...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nycgee
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 10 June 2014

My wife and I visited Kura to celebrate my 60th birthday. Coming from Toronto Canada we were anxious to see Costa Rica and enjoy some of its finest attributes. arrived at Kura for the last 4 days of our vacation and it was clearly evident we had saved the best for last. Martin , who owns Kura with his beautiful partner Alejandra, picked us up at the base of the resort in the Town of Uvita , and treated us to a wonderful 15 minute ride up the ridge to what I can only describe as the most breathtaking view we had ever seen. Once at the villa we were given a tour by Alejandra and taken to our room. As we settled in a multi coloured toucan landed on our balcony to welcome us , almost as if right on cue. The rooms are immaculate and have a modern open concept design which is fresh , clean and very comfortable. The food was top quality and reflected local cuisine, with fresh fruit and presented in a very creative and appealing manner. The Staff are so friendly , polite and down to earth. We were made to feel special and whether we were in the spa, pool, rooftop patio, or at the beach for a visit to the Whale Tail or a private beachfront swim it was a trip we will never forget. Thanks Martin and Alejandra . You hit a home run with us.................

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Leafsfan2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Without a doubt, my wife and I have never had a more enjoyable travel and vacation experience as we did at Kura Design Villas. It's hard to pick one favorite aspect of the hotel, because the food, rooms, views, & service were beyond excellent. The staff was the single best part of our visit. There are not enough superlatives in my vocabulary to do Kura justice!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cocobware14
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My husband and I chose Kura for our honeymoon and it surpassed our expectations! Every detail of this hotel was meticulously thought out and perfectly designed. The location is very exclusive and offers endless views of the rainforest and ocean. The staff was extremely service oriented and genuinely kind. We stayed at Kura for 4 nights (perfect length of time) and we spent 2 days at the property and 2 days off site. The Kura team did a great job recommending and helping us book our 2 excursions (surfing and horseback riding / waterfalls). The food was top notch... highly recommend the Kura Roll and the Carpaccio. And definitely do the spa... worth every penny. We hope we are lucky enough to visit again!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AMF174
Reviewed 20 May 2014

My wife and I stayed at Kura for the first 4 nights of our honeymoon. We can honestly not fault it. The staff were great with everyone learning your name and being attentive enough but not overbearing. One half of the couple that owned it would help serve breakfast and lunch and were clearly very hands on. The food was good and I particularly enjoyed the breakfasts. We loved our room which had a number of nice touches including a Nepresso coffee machine. Nothing was too much trouble. The view from the room was perfect. We choose a room that was closer to the trees so we got to see lots of bird life at eye level and still enjoy views of the sea from our bed, balcony and shower. The pool was a piece of art! You need to see it to believe it.

If staying here for a few days consider renting a car as transfers to the various activities do add up. We flew from San Jose to Quepos and then had a taxi pick up - all worked well.

For activities we sea kayaked, swam and bouldered up a river gorge and some did some cliff jumps and a beach day on our secluded beach. All were great fun.

We would definitely go back and recommended Kura unreservedly.

Room Tip: Room 3 which we were in was great. Good sea views and good views of the tree tops
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Cayuga S, Manager at Kura Design Villas Uvita, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Baylorbri,
greetings from Uvita. Thank you for taking time to write such a great review of your honeymoon experience with us. We were happy to hear that we were able to contribute our part to you having a great start into your marriage. Yes, we are very hands on. Always. As a six room hotel, there is no other way. It allows us to connect with our guests and make sure they get the most personalized service possible. How great that you were able to do quite a few excursions and live some of the incredible nature adventures that are available in the area. We think that the combination of relaxing by the pool (yes, we agree, need to see it to believe it) and the coastal and rainforest adventures make the Kura and Uvita experience so special. Help us spread the word and come back for your anniversary soon. All the best.