“Some of the Best Food Anywhere”
Review of Sabor Espanol

Sabor Espanol
Ranked #3 of 49 Restaurants in Uvita
Price range: US$6 - US$18
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Spanish restaurant, owners from Ibiza and Barcelona. Specializing in Paellas, Sangria, Spanish Wines List, Meats and Seafood dishes. Open for dinner.
Reviewed 19 May 2014

It was recommended that we try this place while we were staying at the Flutterby House. It's one of the staff's favorite restaurants, which is lucky, because it's only a five-minute walk from the hostel, and a minute (literally) from the beach.

The place is small, and is owned and run by a lovely Spanish couple from Ibiza. The husband, Eddie, is the chef, and his wife is the server. They're both very nice and welcoming, and the ambiance of their restaurant is very intimate, particularly at night. The only seating is on the porch, so you always have the sound of the beach in the background.

I had the pork lomito - pork tenderloin with a pineapple sauce - and my girlfriend had what they call "broscetas": skewers of chicken and banana wrapped in bacon. It's worth noting that my girlfriend hates bananas. She's literally never eaten a banana in her life, she hates them so much. When she was here, she willingly ate banana. That alone should speak to the quality of the food. As for myself, it was hands-down one of the best meals I've had at a restaurant anywhere in my entire life.

Eddie, the chef, could be at the helm of a massively popular restaurant anywhere he wanted with his talents, but he's decided to have a little operation down on the beach in Uvita, about fifteen minutes' walk from the nearest paved road. It's clear that they are doing exactly what they want to be doing at this restaurant, and they're doing it masterfully.

My suggestion: go for dinner (if you're walking, bring a flashlight; they don't open until dusk). The food takes a bit to come out, since Eddie's also the only cook, so just order a carafe of their excellent sangria and enjoy the evening. Don't go when you're in a rush, and don't go when you're already super-hungry. Go for the experience, and you won't be disappointed.

2  Thank SleepyPiper

Reviewed 28 April 2014

My husband and I were married in Costa Rica and we wanted to find a nice, quiet and not crowded yet tasty restaurant. Our hotel recommended us to Sabor Espanol and we were so glad they did. My husband and I were delighted when we found the place. It was hidden and if you feel like you are lost when driving there, then you are going the right way! Upon arriving, the restaurant is well lit, warm and inviting. The chef greeted us upon arrival and even though it was after 8 PM, and he had a reservation he was waiting on to arrive, he invited us into the restaurant with open arms. We ordered a jug of the Sangria and it was rich and smooth. The food was great and just what we were looking for. This hidden gem is a must!!!

2  Thank Christina D
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We have been here several times and the food is consistently delicious. Montse is the charming front-of-house but chef Heri always makes a point of coming out of the kitchen to greet his guests and make sure everything is to their liking. The paella is an event but we've also enjoyed many other things on the menu. Sabor Español has one of the best wine lists in the area, so much so that we've yet to try the sangria which looks wonderful heading to other tables. This is not a place where you'll dine quickly, so come ready to relax and enjoy the company of whoever you're with. The food will delight you along the way.

2  Thank Rebecca G
Reviewed 15 April 2014

My friends and I happened upon this restaurant after a morning at the beach. We were surprised to find such good food on a back road in the middle of nowhere. We thoroughly enjoyed the food. I am a sangria snob and theirs hit the spot , refreshing ,and exactly the way sangria should be.
The portions were on the small side but very tasty and well seasoned. Montse came to see if we enjoyed our food and his wife was very friendly and accommodating.
Definitely worth a visit when you are hungry in Uvita. It is a fun little spot .

1  Thank EGDF
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I loved, loved, loved this restaurant! We stumbled on this restaurant after surfing at the beach down the road (Yes, the road is a dirt road!...a rocky road!...but what do you expect in Costa Rica???! If it's not a main road...then it'll be a dirt road...so take a chill pill). We arrived for lunch so it wasn't busy at all. We had gazpacho, salad, and beef with white whine, and lots of homemade sangria. The atmosphere was quiet, clean, and beautifully decorated. The service was quite friendly. The owners stopped to chat with us for a bit...turns out we were all in Ibiza over the same weekend this past September! Food was Spanish with a costa rican twist. I would definitely visit Sabor Espanol again, and I would recommend it to everyone!

Gracias, SaborEspanol! :)