Rancho Pacifico
Vista Celestial(Uvita)
  • Free Internet
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
All reviewsspa suitevilla romanticacosta ricaother guestsour honeymoonnational geographic tourzip liningtree househowler monkeyssan josecanopy tourevery mealwhale's tailrainy seasonan adventureunique experiencetotal relaxation
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 October 2007

If you care to break the homogeneity of the "typical" tropical vacation, I highly recommend Rancho Pacifico.

Those that prefer the anonimity of a resort, the facelessness of a hotel, you will not appreciate Rancho Pacifico and I recommend you look elsewhere. This is not the Ritz Carlton or the Grand Hotel. It does neither purports nor wants to be.

Rather, Rancho Pacifico works to offer a proud and personal taste of Costa Rica. The owners will call and ask to speak with you to ensure that you are being cared for, the managers will be available each morning to ensure that your plans for the day are secured, and Chef Alex and the bar staff will take great pleasure in feeding and "watering" you until you retire to your villa in a stupor of enjoyment. If you are not entirely relaxed at Rancho Pacifico, you are doing something wrong.

My husband and I visited Rancho Pacifico on our honeymoon. This facility was like none I have ever been to--and my family has been in the travel business for years and I have stayed at some of the top hotels through Europe and Asia. We arrived at night and were greeted immediately by Chef Alex and were offered a welcome drink in the warmly lit Whale's Tail Club. Within minutes, we were introduced to the other guests that were there at the time--with only eleven (11) rooms, the Whale's Tail club provides a welcoming bar and restaurant area should you want to mingle with others during your stay. On the same token, the staff offers the ability to have dinner served at a seperate table or even cooked at your private villa should you want more privacy.

They tell you at the onset what options that you have, and it is up to you to design your days. The staff will work to ensure that all of your requests are met. This trip will be what you make of it--you will customize your own time.

We genuinely enjoyed our time at Rancho Pacifico...and have had a craving for Chef Alex's casado con pollo frito since we returned home.

If you do your research on what Rancho Pacifico has to offer, you will not be dissapointed. If you are imagining the typical/cookie cutter luxury hotel, you are headed to the wrong place. Rancho Pacifico will impress and inspire you with their personal service, unique culture and not surprisingly, the views.

I do agree with one review that I read--bring an extra pair of shoes. If you decide to do some of the more adventurous excursions, you will definitely destroy your footwear. On that note, ask to see the waterfall on the ATV tour. You will not be dissapointed.

1  Thank KristinaC060
Reviewed 1 October 2007

I visited Rancho Pacifico with my spouse and one of our best friends for my birthday and it was spectacular! The setting is amazing if you are a person who enjoys outdoor living and the views from any angle are second to none. In addition to the property itself, the service we received was absolustly exceptional from the minute we arrived until the day we left. Both the owner and staff consistently went out of their way to ensure that we were taken care of and by the time we left I truly felt like they were our friends. Also, the intimate size and layout of the clubhouse was very condusive to making new friends with other guests. I looked forward to visiting the bar for a cocktail in the evening and comparing stories with other guests about the activities they had done that day. I will be realistic and say that you are in a rainforest so yes it will rain at some point and yes you might see bugs but I can't imagine anyone booking a trip to a rainforest and being surprised by that. Rancho Pacifico will be at the top of my list the next time I choose to visit Costa Rica.

Stayed: August 2007
2  Thank johnsrb
Reviewed 27 September 2007

When we first saw RP online we fell in love with the views - and hoped it was half of what the photos showed. When we got there we realized it was the other way around - the views are twice as good as the photos! From up high looking out to the Pacific across the rainforest, we felt like we were in a dream.

I couldn't imagine anything more inspiring - but the rest of our experience was equally inspiring.

The staff at RP is simply gracious and caring - they were always trying to anticipate our next need or desire.

Harold the bartender prides himself on creative concoctions - and we enjoyed cocktails that didn't even have official names!

We think he invents something new every night. They have a fantastic vodka collection as well as a collection of Costa Rica made fruit and herb liquers that end up being brilliantly mixed into the most beautful drinks you can imagine. We also chose wines and champagnes from Boutique South American wineries that we were unfamiliar with and enjoyed perfect compliments every night to Chef Alex's tropical cuisine.

We all loved the food - and even talked Alex into a cooking class where he shared some secrets for his tropical fruit-based sauces. We enjoyed great diversity from the tasting menu every night and were never any less than in awe at the quality they turn out despite the remote location.

The other thing that amazed us was the spa. The treatment area sits up in the trees overlooking the ocean and rainforest. It is surrounded by tropical gardens and is absolutely other-worldly.

The two therapists I experienced were the best ever. I had a spa ritual one day that started with a cocoa-coffeee (both organic) wrap – then a hot-stone massage – then a special foot treatment with natural mints and herbs. During he hot stone massage Vivian used the stones to massage the trouble I honestly never remember feeling so alive in my entire life as when I walked (reluctantly) out of the spa that day! I will never forget it.

While the views never did get old - there were so many other things that we experienced at Rancho Pacifico that kept us looking forward to everyday - and literally shedding tears when we left. We are accustomed to staying in high-end places and paying the price – at RP, in the end, we felt like we got a lot more than we paid for.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank erich_elit
Reviewed 25 September 2007

It's beyond our belief that anyone would give a bad review about this property. We have stayed at Rancho Pacifico twice now and we have made a vow to always return. If anybody didn't have a wonderful time here, I would suggest it was the traveler and not the property who was miserable. The service at Rancho Pacifico is exemplary. The accomodations are amazing with spectacular views. The food is a culinary delight and could compete with any of the top restaurants. We have established life long friendships with the staff as well as guests we have met here. Keep in mind if you are looking for an all inclusive type resort, there are plenty out there but if you are looking for a truely luxurious and UNIQUE vacation Rancho Pacifico is the place to go.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NLEdge
Reviewed 23 September 2007

I just returned from my first stay at Rancho Pacifico. I will return often.

The pictures on the RP website are beautiful but they can't begin to explain what you will experience here.

Olman, the RP manager, and I sat together when I arrived. Olman welcomed me as one of his family. He was always smiling, offering suggestions for tours and asking what he and his team could do for me.

Alex, the head chef, has a gift for excellent cuisine. He combines that with his passion for pleasing people and delivers a unique experience.

Each four course dinner was a work of art. One night Alex returned from the dock with a just caught Red Snapper. The meal was something I have never experienced before.

The guests of RP, some on their honeymoon came together as a family to enjoy this meal, tours and stimulating conversation.

As a solo traveler I was not sure this setting would be right for me. I was assured that RP hosts many solo travelers and that I would be comfortable. I agree.

Vivian is the manager of the spa, a very special person with a gift. On my first full day at RP Vivian and I discussed what I would like to accomplish in my stay.

I had booked the spa package. It is difficult to say what procedure was the best but my choices are, the aromatherapy, hot stone and any one of the Ultimate pachages.

The spa itself sits on the side of the mountain with a view of the ocean. Wow!

The owners of RP, Garrison and Silvia, have created a very special experience in an absolutely beautiful setting. Pictures and words can't begin to explain this experience.

You need to see for yourself. Once you e mail or call RP you begin to be drwan into this special experience.

Find out for yourself. Go!

Paul M sole traveler, 54 Tampa, FL.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled solo