“Exquisite Service, beautiful property”
Review of Rancho Pacifico

Rancho Pacifico
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Uvita
Boston
“Exquisite Service, beautiful property”
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Where to even start? My wife and I went to Costa Rica for our honeymoon (luna de miel) in September 2013. We stayed for 5 nights in the Arenal area at Nayara (see my other review for this incredible property) and then planned 5 nights at Oxygen Jungle Villas in Uvita. On our third day in Uvita we decided to drive further up the mountain to see if we could find Rancho Pacifico. We were actually considered RP for our whole 10 day honeymoon but ended up changing plans and going with Nayara and Oxygen......anyway, we drove up to RP one afternoon and walked into the reception/restaurant area. A pleasant woman came and greeted us and we made a bit of small talk. I decided I'd like to take my wife here for dinner later in the evening so I asked the woman if we could make a 7pm dinner reservation. She said sure and we went on our way.

We returned just before 7pm and there was a man waiting for us as we pulled up. He escorted us to the restaurant. This is a large outdoor restaurant set up with a few levels, each just a few steps up or down from the next. I could see all the way in the far corner one table set for dinner with candles. They literally set the place up just for us. NO ONE else on the whole property.

We had several courses of fine cuisine. We had tuna ceviche to start, I had pork for dinner. Nice desert and we washed it all down with a nice bottle of wine. Towards the end of the dinner I asked the waiter if he would call the manager and ask if we could have a room for the night, that we were staying just down the hill at Oxygen but figured we'd see if we could stay a night (surprise for my new wifey). He returned a few minutes later and handed me a phone. It was the owner of the resort asking my how I like dinner and if I minded waiting 45 minutes or so for a room. I told him the wait was fine and he asked which room I was interested in staying in. I told him the luxury spa suite and he said ok. We waited at the bar where a really cool bartender made us a complimentary cocktail. When we were finishing the drinks, the waiter came back and handed me the phone again. This time the owner told me he had upgraded us to the Treehouse Villa at no extra charge and it would be ready shortly.

When our room was ready we walked over the bridge to the room escorted by a few staff members. They showed us the room and left us to relax. The room was HUGE. Large seating area then the bed area then a big open bathroom (which is kind of oddly open to the room, shower and toilet pretty much in the same room as the bedroom obscured by a partial wall but no doors). Outside was a long deck and a hot tub and some chairs. this place is perched up on the side of the mountain with a serious drop off that deck.

The room was screened in with ceiling fans but no AC. It was fine at night but I think I'd be really hot an uncomfortable if I stayed there for a week and had no AC to escape the jungle humidity.

We were awoken in the middle of the night by howler monkeys just going crazy right outside our windows. They were so loud. It was pitch black, in the middle of the jungle...really weird/haunting experience but so cool. We thought they were going come crashing through our windows and go all planet of the apes on us but they were cool.

We had a great breakfast the next morning at the same table as out dinner the night before. Huge clear view to the Pacific below.

When we left to return to Oxygen right after breakfast the staff almost seemed sad to see us go. They told us we should stay all day and use their pools but we had a whale watch booked so had to run.

I can see why famous people come here. It's so incredibly tranquil and the nature is undisturbed and beautiful. I'd love to go back for a night or two. I really wish they had AC, and while I totally understand why they don't (eco etc) I'm a person who generally really runs hot and has a hard time in humidity.

Room Tip: Can't imagine there's a bad room in the place. All private. Just pick one in your budget.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JimmyH452

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
New York
Reviewed 19 March 2014

My wife and stayed a Rancho Pacifico from 1/1/14 – 1/6/14. The location is a bit remote but very beautiful. Here what you get; a small boutique hotel where, because of the close quarters and the fact that you see the same people every night, you will make friends whether you want to or not. Although we tend to keep to ourselves, we ended up speaking, eating and drinking with all the guests except 2 who didn’t make eye contact (which is a feat considering how small the place is).

The staff is very friendly, and the owner and his wife are always around to chat.

Getting there, back and around is a bit of a drag time and money wise. You can take a small (12 person) plane from San Jose to Quepos, then drive 45 min. (We flew back to San Jose from Quepos, and would probably do that both ways if we did it again.)
We had someone drive us from San Jose which took 3:10, most of it on a 1 lane road which I heard can get congested and slow. From the main road it’s a 10 minute trek in a 4x4 up to RP. The first time you drive it it’s pretty crazy. Lots of switchbacks that are really steep. If you use the local transport to leave the resort it get’s expensive. There were some guests who had a jeep and they had no problem driving the steep narrow path. It’s doable for the more adventurous. We took a couple of excursions ($100 to the canopy/zip line tour) but mostly stayed on the property and enjoyed the setting. From the resort you can hike to a waterfall or around the area. You will see some owls, a toucan or 2, and if you’re lucky some monkeys and a sloth.

The spa was great, and we were there everyday. The setting looks out at the mountain, and you hear all the sounds of the forest. (Like when you go to the spa in the city and they play a CD of it, but it’s real).

This place is not for everyone. Type A personalities should probably stay away, as should people who need to be super active on their vacations. Here are some things that, depending on your personality, you might find good or bad at RP:

Internet - Some days it works some days not so much. You’re on vacation after all.

Night Life – It’s not the kind of place where you have 6 drinks after dinner and yuck it up by the pool. Everyone is usually in their rooms by 11:00p.

Close quarters – read above

No TV.

No real gym.

No money exchanges during your stay. Tips are allowed at the end and are listed by person on the final bill.

3 Thank klatron
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We visited for a week in early January; a beautiful lodge spectacularly perched over the "Whale Tail". Everything designed for peaceful relaxation at the Rancho, but the excursions, especially the "National Geographic" tour of the Sierpre river also very worthwhile. The staff was wonderful, the food was varied and delicious, and the week flew by much too fast. Don't make a move without your camera -- toucan, sargento, anteater with baby, and even the green flash.

Murrieta, California
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Rancho Pacifico was beyond our imagination and expections. We were welcomed to paradise with friendly smiles, a professional staff, and world class accoumodations. Our villa was exceptional in every way, with the comforts of home and amenities of a 5 star resort. Every day spent at Rancho Pacifico was better than the last. We hiked within the rainforest, enjoyed the delicious food, relaxed at the spa or around the pool, and watched one amazing sunset after the other. Peace and tranquility was everywhere at Rancho Pacifico. It was truly our best vacation... EVER!!

Room Tip: Every villa has a private and unique location. All units have amazing views and are beautifully dec...
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Rancho Pacifico exceeded our expectations which were high to begin with. Believe everything you read about the quality of the staff and service! We stayed 8 nights and booked active adventures every day. Adriana did an outstanding job of fulfilling all our wishes! This was the perfect home base and we were glad to return to pristine RP to relax before the magnificent dinner each night. The small size promotes conversations between guests and creates a feeling of community. Garrison and Silvia treat each person like a personal guest to their home. Rancho Pacifico is the most unique property we have ever visited and we are so glad we found it!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pam F
Golden, CO
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We return to Rancho Pacifico every year in February. When we left the Denver airport it was a minus 13 F; arriving in Costa Rica 92 degrees. Now with the costanera highway it's an easy drive from San Jose to Rancho Pacifico. We get there and relax into Margaritaville (actually it's Basil Martini for Susan and Coconut Martini for me). This place is heaven on earth! Every year we discover new places and people. We were married at Rancho Pacifico eight years ago, last February Susan officiated the wedding of some close friends, this year we took my medical school roommate and his wife and introduced them to RP....they loved it and can't wait to come back. I recommend RP to those who want a memorable vacation, not just another resort, with fantastic service, delicious food and lots to do!

Room Tip: Treehouse or Villa 1 for romantic couples, Spa Suites for great views, Villas 2 or 3 for families,
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Goldenphysician
Clayton, Missouri
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Spent 8 wonderful days up in the rainforest for Thanksgiving at this oasis on the hillside. Waking up to the sound of howler monkeys outside the windows and gazing down the valley to the ocean below made each morning an experience. The staff were more than accommodating to any and all requests and helped make the stay incredibly enjoyable. The ever changing food menu kept our palettes guessing and entertained, which was great because trekking down the mountain each night for dinner would have been a bit much. The fresh ingredients and creativity left us wanting nothing more. Accommodations were incredible and the rooms were top notch with their open air feel. Beaches are just a few minutes away by car and all activities are within a very manageable distance from the hotel. Overall a fantastic retreat and I can't wait to return!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family