Where to even start? My wife and I went to Costa Rica for our honeymoon (luna de miel) in September 2013. We stayed for 5 nights in the Arenal area at Nayara (see my other review for this incredible property) and then planned 5 nights at Oxygen Jungle Villas in Uvita. On our third day in Uvita we decided to drive further up the mountain to see if we could find Rancho Pacifico. We were actually considered RP for our whole 10 day honeymoon but ended up changing plans and going with Nayara and Oxygen......anyway, we drove up to RP one afternoon and walked into the reception/restaurant area. A pleasant woman came and greeted us and we made a bit of small talk. I decided I'd like to take my wife here for dinner later in the evening so I asked the woman if we could make a 7pm dinner reservation. She said sure and we went on our way.
We returned just before 7pm and there was a man waiting for us as we pulled up. He escorted us to the restaurant. This is a large outdoor restaurant set up with a few levels, each just a few steps up or down from the next. I could see all the way in the far corner one table set for dinner with candles. They literally set the place up just for us. NO ONE else on the whole property.
We had several courses of fine cuisine. We had tuna ceviche to start, I had pork for dinner. Nice desert and we washed it all down with a nice bottle of wine. Towards the end of the dinner I asked the waiter if he would call the manager and ask if we could have a room for the night, that we were staying just down the hill at Oxygen but figured we'd see if we could stay a night (surprise for my new wifey). He returned a few minutes later and handed me a phone. It was the owner of the resort asking my how I like dinner and if I minded waiting 45 minutes or so for a room. I told him the wait was fine and he asked which room I was interested in staying in. I told him the luxury spa suite and he said ok. We waited at the bar where a really cool bartender made us a complimentary cocktail. When we were finishing the drinks, the waiter came back and handed me the phone again. This time the owner told me he had upgraded us to the Treehouse Villa at no extra charge and it would be ready shortly.
When our room was ready we walked over the bridge to the room escorted by a few staff members. They showed us the room and left us to relax. The room was HUGE. Large seating area then the bed area then a big open bathroom (which is kind of oddly open to the room, shower and toilet pretty much in the same room as the bedroom obscured by a partial wall but no doors). Outside was a long deck and a hot tub and some chairs. this place is perched up on the side of the mountain with a serious drop off that deck.
The room was screened in with ceiling fans but no AC. It was fine at night but I think I'd be really hot an uncomfortable if I stayed there for a week and had no AC to escape the jungle humidity.
We were awoken in the middle of the night by howler monkeys just going crazy right outside our windows. They were so loud. It was pitch black, in the middle of the jungle...really weird/haunting experience but so cool. We thought they were going come crashing through our windows and go all planet of the apes on us but they were cool.
We had a great breakfast the next morning at the same table as out dinner the night before. Huge clear view to the Pacific below.
When we left to return to Oxygen right after breakfast the staff almost seemed sad to see us go. They told us we should stay all day and use their pools but we had a whale watch booked so had to run.
I can see why famous people come here. It's so incredibly tranquil and the nature is undisturbed and beautiful. I'd love to go back for a night or two. I really wish they had AC, and while I totally understand why they don't (eco etc) I'm a person who generally really runs hot and has a hard time in humidity.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rancho Pacifico - Where Style meets Nature and the Rainforest meets the sea.....Your Adult-Exclusive Hideaway in Costa Rica's Last-Best Place. One of the World's Most Awarded EcoLuxury Hotels. Member - Small Luxury Hotels of the World. Deluxe Villas, Suites, & TreeHaus', Jungle Spa, Private Preserve and secluded beaches. Spectacular ocean views and spacious privacy. Trip Advisor Traveler Choice - 4 consecutive years. World Travel Award Finalist - Leading Boutique and Leading Green Hotel, Central and Latin America, 6 consecutive years.....and many more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, 5viajes2012 S.L., Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Ebookers and HotelQuickly so you can book your Rancho Pacifico reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rancho Pacifico Uvita
- Rancho Pacifico Hotel Uvita
- Rancho Pacifico Costa Rica/Uvita