“Unique getaway, but beware of remote location.”
Review of Rancho Pacifico

Rancho Pacifico
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Uvita
Los Angeles, CA
“Unique getaway, but beware of remote location.”
Reviewed 2 May 2009

I stayed here for a week with my boyfriend -- this was our first time to Costa Rica. Overall, this is a very unique place -- it's a intimate, tranquil B&B in the hillside of Uvita. We got the spa package via Luxurylink.com. Our room was very unique - it faced the rain forest, and had no glass windowpanes, so you could hear the rain and outdoor noises. It was not luxurious...the bed was a little hard and in the evening, we had to keep the lights low to keep the bugs out. The shower was spacious, but there was no hot water during the day (when the hotel did the laundry). The restaurant was phenomenal -- our meals were a definite highlight. The spa was also unique - open-air, facing the hillside. If you get a massage, I definitely recommend Hilda -- she is one of the best therapists I've ever had and I go for massages pretty often!

The main complaint I had was the location, and the resulting cost. The hotel itself is a 4 hour drive from San Jose. It's also far from San Manuel Antonio national park, and up on a remote hillside. So every time we wanted to do an activity, it was a 30-90 minute one-way ride. We did not rent a car, so we had to take the hotel transportation, which was very expensive, $30-200 per trip. The concierge seemed to have a limited list of activities he could recommend -- we found much better tours by asking around and getting information ourselves. We ended up leaving one night early (even though the hotel was prepaid), and heading to San Jose to do some white water rafting.

Overall, it's a nice place for a unique secluded getaway, but not a great place to base yourself if you want to do lots of activities in Costa Rica.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Urban_Traveler_100
ranchopacifico, Owner at Rancho Pacifico, responded to this review, 19 May 2009
Please accept our apologies for any hot water inconveniences. We have recently relocated our laundry room so as not to strain our standard suites. All other accommodations are spread out throughout the property and have their own hot water.

As evidenced by a couple of recent reviews, this is not the only time that transportation costs have become an issue. Actually this is good - because it gives me an opportunity to help potential guests (and anyone visiting Costa Rica) make the right choices.

Transportation costs money - whether one chooses to drive themselves and rent a car (with high gas prices) or some other form of
private transportation. This is a fact of life in visiting either Costa Rica coast and costs the same regardless of how much one spends for accommodations.

We provide a transportation service as an alternative to renting a car as an add-on convenience to our many guests who adamantly wish NOT to rent a car. Our prices are the same as local taxis. Unless a person desires to explore extensively outside of the immediate area, it is cost effective vs. a rental car. We encourage all guests who feel that they DO want to explore extensively to rent a car.

Some of this guest's information is misleading so please allow a clarification:

Local transportation ( a fairly large area encompassing almost all highlights) roundtrip is between $30 and $60 (per party, NOT per person). The few miles to three different beaches is complimentary. Private transportation from or to San Jose (including VIP pickup) is $200 per party - less than the cost of similar services secured at the airport. A popular alternative is a regional 35 minute flight from San Jose and then a rental car for a couple of days while at RP.

Because the heart of the matter comes down to money, I am hoping the following will be helpful to future guests:

Years ago I learned a valuable lesson. It was when I was young and "just starting out". I got myself over my head one night at a very expensive - and famous- New York restaurant. When I got the bill I just about fell out of the chair. When the maitre'd asked how everything was I commented something to the effect that "it wasn't worth it - one can eat a nice meal elsewhere for a lot less money". His wisdom (which I did not recognize at the time) was expressed in a simple
statement, "Just because YOU can't afford it doesn't mean its overpriced".
"Bingo", I realized years later. As I continued to refine my tastes and seek out luxury
experiences (the basis for building our hotel), his words came back over and over.

From my own experience, I learned not to confuse "exclusive" and "inclusive". The former means you can expect to pay ala carte. Don't expect things to be included. The latter means pay a little and get everything. As one of those people who enjoy what some refer to as "quality experiences" I have spent my life frequenting exclusive hotels and restaurants - paying a premium, and sometimes not getting my money's worth - but enjoying the pursuit and many memorable moments......sound familiar?

OK, back to Rancho Pacifico. We are a member of the Small Luxury Hotels of the World and have a standard of excellence to which we are bound.
We are not all-inclusive as clearly stated in all of our marketing . We are not particularly expensive relative to fine hotels around the world, although we are on the high end in Costa Rica. As is the standard for hotels with similar positioning and credentials, we provide fine service at a cost and are not a good fit for the budget traveler.

In studying the few "complaints" we receive, we consistently find that the vast majority come from those guests who have serious budgetary limitations or who have managed to find
a rare internet opportunity to purchase a stay at a special price. As such, they find themselves in our most standard accommodations, generally indulge in the fewest amenities (like fabulous spa treatments), and often expect or hope for the most inclusives (of which there are actually many).

On the other hand, almost all of our accolades are from seasoned luxury travelers, who
from experience recognize our approach to quality and who subsequently end up happily indulging and enjoying. I can honestly say that our
average guest takes things like transportation costs in stride as they 1) realize that transportation has to cost something regardless of how much you pay for a room 2) most of our guests (70%) do not rent cars but choose the easiest and most convenient transportation options (regional flights and comfortable, safe local transportation provided by us - with an optional rental car for a few days locally).

It is interesting to note that this year alone, over 400 parties did not file a complaint about costs. Also, if you read down through our many reviews you will see that for the entire High season (Nov thru March) when our costs are the highest, there was not one negative comment or review less than "5".

One last thing: It is easy to confuse a good deal with a GOOD deal.
Just because you can wrangle a good price at a first-class place doesn't mean you're going to like it. So please (and this is directed to future potential guests), before you buy a deal, research our website, learn in detail about who we are and are not - and then if you buy, do so for all the right reasons. We've had many happy guests who have done just this.

And please, be true to your budget. Resist the temptation to stretch your means. If swinging both is difficult, it is better to settle for more economically suitable accommodations and then to save a little aside for the extra
things you're going to want to do.

We are proud to say that the vast majority of our guests (who by the way do not write reviews) have chosen us for our top of the world location - and use us as the Hideaway we profess to be. Unfortunately in today's world, one no longer finds an exotic paradise next to a road or shopping center. Spectacular settings such as ours are "spectacular " simply because they remove us from our day to day and allow us to reconnect with something special.

In our case, we are on a mountainside (actually only 2.5 miles from a bustling little village), which to some I suppose is "remote". You don't hear traffic, crying babies, air conditioners or
late-night bars. You DO hear Howler monkeys echoing every morning throughout a pristine mountain valley - and rainforest toads singing at night. It's all about what you want - so again, I ask potential visitors to carefully consider their objectives to be sure they are choosing wisely.

One guest recently said that a visit to RP is like enjoying a fine wine. It is to be savored slowly, because "at Rancho Pacifico time stops and then you have to go home...... If you are willing to invest a few extra minutes to get away from it all, the rewards are many and the memories unforgettable."

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
san francisco, ca
Reviewed 2 May 2009

Whilte the hotel is in a beautiful location, there were many impracticalities with being high up on the mountain. I would warn anyone staying here to be aware that unless you rent a car, you are dependent on the hotel to shuttle you back and forth to the beach and activities. The hotel charges for its shuttle service and whichs seems to be an impractical policy for those who don't rent their own car. If you do rent a car, do not use the recommended car agency, Economy. They are undependable and dishonest. I am still arguing with my credit card company over a double charge due to a car breaking down and the late delivery of a second vehicle. This company was the hotel's recommendation but of course they assume no responsibility.

The staff and food was very good. Rooms are nice but there are no windows (only screens) which make them somewhat cool and damp when the fog or rain is present (which is often) Bedding needs to be up-graded from synthetic to natural fibers as well as more blankets.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rons1951
ranchopacifico, Manager at Rancho Pacifico, responded to this review, 19 May 2009
We are sorry that this guest encountered issues with transportation that effected their enjoyment.
Their comment about "assuming no responsibility" requires an explanation.
We loosely recommend certain agencies over others because of their ability to service problems from their local offices.
This can come in very handy - and is generally better than waiting for an agency to service your rental car from San Jose. Other than that, the unfortunate truth is that, in general, rental car agencies in Costa Rica deliver poor service.
It is important for all renters to read the contract carefully - and to ask the appropriate questions.

The shuttle transportation we provide is based on prices comparable to local taxis.
Given there is going to be some cost for transportation whether you rent , taxi or use our services, many choose our shuttle because at the end of the stay, the costs are fairly equal, and it is convenient. We recommend that guests who want to do a lot of exploring (such as these folks) rent a car.

If you want to visit a few nearby beaches and attractions (which most guests do) - then the shuttle is more convenient and cost effective. Short beach trips are now complimentary.

Also - please note - our bedding and linens are strictly high-end. Linens are 100% high thread count cotton or bamboo.
All accommodations have a combination of glass and screens. The more dramatically perched Luxury suites, Treehauses and Villas have more than adequate weather protection.
Chicago
Reviewed 21 April 2009

While I will review the hotel later, the most important thing to consider before making a trip to Rancho Pacifico is the road to get to it. It's a big part of the experience, and something that you should be prepared for. We did not do our homework and had a rough start to our trip to Rancho Pacifico. A couple weeks before our trip, Rancho Pacifico sent us detailed instructions on how to drive there from San Jose. They basically said, "Take the highway to Cartago, San Isidro General, Domical, then Uvita. Make a left at the bank and the hotel is 1.3 miles up the dirt road". Then followed some more instructions which I never bothered reading. We arrived in San Jose in the morning, picked up our rental car, and set out on our journey for what I thought would be entirely during the day.

GETTING THERE
After getting lost a couple times, our day drive turned into a night drive through the fog covered mountains sitting behind large trucks going literally 10km/hour. Finally, after 7 hours, we arrived in Uvita, exhausted, hungry, and ready for a hot shower & a bed. We turned left at the post office and were prepared for just 1.3 miles more. Then my girlfriend pulls out the instructions. These are the instructions word-for-word:
YOU WILL PASS AN ENTRANCE TO A CATARATTA (WATERFALL) AND COME TO A SMALL BRIDGE ACROSS A STREAM. JUST BEYOND THE BRIDGE LOOK FOR A FORK (AND RANCHO PACIFICO SIGN ON TREE).TAKE RIGHT. IN A HUNDRED YARDS YOU WILL CROSS ANOTHER BRIDGE. AT THIS POINT ENGAGE YOUR 4WD (4WD LOW - 2ND GEAR - OR 4WD HIGH 1ST GEAR WORKS BEST). STAY IN YOUR CHOSEN GEAR - DO NOT SHIFT !!!! RANCHO PACIFICO IS 1.3 MILES FROM THE BRIDGE.
This 1.3 miles is on a road consists of rocks the size of softballs and is basically at about a 45 degree angle upwards. The "Rancho Pacifico sign on a tree" is an "RP" sign the size of a postcard. We engaged on our journey up the mountain in the pitch dark, not knowing if we were even going in the right direction (you think they’d put a few more signs saying “almost there” or “RP 800 meters”?). I thought for sure either the car was going to break down or get a flat. Finally after 25 minutes of struggling up the mountain we saw the hotel lights up ahead. We thought it truly was a miracle.
When we finally pulled into the hotel, needless to say we weren’t in the best of moods. We were greeted by the manager, Alex, who was definitely taken aback by us. Being city-dwellers, our first impression was the hotel was a little too isolated (which it is) and too rustic/natural (which it’s not). We didn’t know what we got ourselves into. Alex showed us our room and told us we should come to the restaurant for dinner. Even though he was probably annoyed by us, to his credit, he did everything possibly to accommodate us. From there the trip just got better and better.
THE HOTEL
The rooms are beautiful and very elegantly-appointed. The beds & sheets are extremely comfortable, and after adjusting to the sounds of the jungle having only screens and no windows, we slept like babies. The bathrooms are nice and have 2 shower heads allowing 2 people to shower at once. Our only complaint was that the hot water was very hit or miss (mostly miss), but wasn’t a huge deal as we usually wanted to cool off from the heat. The hotel grounds are very beautiful and the pool is fantastic. All of the staff members are extremely friendly and make an effort to get to know you without being too intrusive.
THE FOOD
As the hotel is isolated, you can expect to eat the majority of the meals here if you aren’t doing excursions. Breakfast (included) was our favorite. They serve different muffins and a different fruit juice concoction every morning. The heuvos rancheros were amazing! We only ate dinner once at the restaurant, and we found it to be good, not great. For a price-fixe menu, we thought it was pretty reasonably priced. They also did make a great effort to accommodate my girlfriend’s food needs which was nice.
MISC
This place, while expensive, does not nickel & dime you. They have free wireless internet, and they also allow you to make free calls to the United States from the hotel phone. You do all your tipping at the end so you never have to sign a bill or leave money on the tables, this is great. It was just difficult to decide how much to tip everyone at the end.
EXCURSIONS
Your first morning there, they will approach you about excursions. Some of them sounded nice, albeit overpriced. We decided we wanted to do a night mangrove tour. While expensive, we thought that it would be worth it just to have someone else drive us up and down the mountain. This is until we discovered that the price did NOT include transportation, and if we wanted it, it would be an additional $100 per person. We opted to find a tour on our own and found Southern Expeditions which was very reasonably priced. They even provided transportation from the bottom of the mountain to Serpe. Highly recommended.
OVERALL
After a rough start, we were so sad to leave RP. It turned out to be one of our favorite spots in Costa Rica. This is why I can’t give it anything less than 5 stars. However, you must be warned:
1) RP is extremely isolated and your day will be planned around driving up & down the mountain. This puts a limit on freedom to come & go as please and you must account for the 20-25 minutes is takes each way to simply get to and from Uvita.
2) Do not attempt to do the drive for the first time at night! I am fairly adventurous, but this was a nightmare. Also, don’t even think about doing it without a 4WD. In addition, as my girlfriend pointed out, pregnant woman may to consider whether or not they should do the jolting drive.
Besides the drive (and limited hot water), I have no other hesitations about returning to RP. The hotel & the area are simply amazing.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Freezan
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed 12 April 2009

Lovely property away from the touristy towns further up the Pacific coast. The room we had - 2 bedroom villa - was spacious, beautiful, and had every amenity you need including a full kitchen, 2 very private bedrooms, and a large wrap-around balcony. The view from every room is through the rainforst to the ocean beyond. There are many amenities onsite, none of which we took advantage of, except the restaurant. Breakfast is included and is made to order. Dinner can be ordered from the menu and offers ample choices. It was quite good and at a reasonable price. We booked 3 nights, but ended up staying only 2 due to a problem we had with our room. Garrison, the owner, went above and beyond in making the problem right by refunding our costs, reducing the rate we did pay, and waiving other incidentals. He even helped us find other accommodations and had one of the staff help us book a room there. Even the best places will have an occassional problem. It is what they do to make it right for the customer and in that sense, RP was outstanding. Kudos to Garrison and staff for understanding and providing good customer service.

nyc
Reviewed 6 April 2009

First the Pluses for us: The room was lovely and the bathroom with outdoor bath was great. We had a relaxing spa service and loved the great 'soundtrack' of the monkeys and birds during the service. The view from the pool and hanging out by the pool was a lot of fun.
The Minuses for us: We realized on this trip that a crucial part of vacationing for us is to be able to wander around and explore a locale and that we are very independent travellers. We did not rent a car as we should have and felt somewhat trapped "up on the mountain". Although the staff would take us places (depending on their availability) there was a fee to just get down the hill (I cant recall...$10 or $15 I believe each way) and then an additional fee if you actually wanted to go somewhere more than just to the foot of the hill. We felt that the conceirge staff was a little overbearing in the potential planning of trips for us(sometimes we just wanted to eat breakfast in quiet!). While we enjoyed the breakfast and we enjoyed the dinner a few times, but we were not overwhelmed by the quality of the the food. Once we were told it was 'pizza night' and while we were presented with a variety of different gourmet pizzas, neither of us felt that this meal was worth the $30something dollars a head we were billed. We felt as if we just didnt have any options. I think we would have felt differently had we rented a car. I understand that my review is very different from the 5 stars that everyone else is giving and admittedly much of our feeling is probably from us not doing our research as well as we should have and this resort not being a good match for us, as it clearly is for many travellers. However, I felt that I should add our perspective so that future travellers who may have any of these concerns are able to plan accordingly.

• Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank tpnyc
As the "minuses" related to transportation were addressed previously in another response we won't be redundant. However, we would like to reiterate that guests have transportation options - including rental cars if they wish to explore extensively such as this couple. These options are carefully explained on our website including a cost analysis comparing the different options.

As for "Pizza Night - On occasion we vary from our daily gourmet dinner menu - and our fabulous brick-oven pizzas and innovative salads are presented instead. When we do, we charge a different rate for dinner. In this case if the guest was not charged the special rate it was our error and we wish we would have been informed.
new jersey
Reviewed 29 March 2009

My wife and I just returned from 6 days at Rancho Pacifico and had a wonderful time. A 15-minute, 1-mile drive, 1500 feet straight up a dirt road in a 4 wheel drive vehicle in low gear is the price you pay for this idyllic setting on the edge of the jungle. The views of the Pacific are tremendous and the sounds of the jungle at dusk and dawn are indescribable…howler monkeys, birds, insects and who knows what else! The staff to guest ratio while we were there was greater than 2 to 1 and their quality would have to be rated as 10 on a scale of 10. They introduce themselves to you and immediate begin addressing you by your first name with genuine warmth. The owners, Garrison and Silvia, were there and involved during our entire stay but the staff was completely willing and able to take care of every need. We stayed in a “spa suite” which had a shower with two heads, an outdoor tub with room for two, a patio, and a great view of the Pacific. The food was fabulous and we thought very well priced at $34 for a 4-course dinner. The pool is very nice with a great Pacific view and a water feature. If you need a white sand beach, this is not the place for you...it’s a 20 minute drive and there is no white sand and no beach chairs although the beach they took us to was beautiful. We flew into San Jose and had the resort pick us up for the over 4-hour drive through the mountains. We stopped for lunch, which was nice, but if you can coordinate your flight we would fly to the resort (which we did on the return).
Bottom line…we’ve stayed in many 5 star small luxury resorts and it is hard to beat Rancho Pacifico…unbeatable value, incredible location, second to none service and staff, very nice rooms, great food all adds up to a great vacation.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 March 2009

My husband and I stayed 1 week at Rancho Pacifico in March 09. I tell you this : how can Sandals even pretend to be luxurious ?
The hotel is beautiful and the staff make it even more wonderful. Both Adriana are sweethearts, Marvin, Vianney and Ronnie are great guys, Alex make an amazing food (and we like good things), Eric and Christian the drivers are always on time and with a smile, and Vivienne and Marco from the spa are incredible therapists.
We really have enjoyed the activities (mangrove, scuba diving ...) and we give a special A++++ to the horseback riding with the ranch La Merced. The ride on the beach at sunset was the perfect final point to our perfect vacations.
Not only the hotel is beautiful, romantic and clean but Uvita is a wonderful location. The beach is marvelous : clean, virtually desert and the ocean was warmer than our jaccuzzi on our private deck !
After a week in this paradise, I fear to travel anywhere else ... how can we not compare our next trips with this one ?
We loved everything, without any reserve.
Melanie & Julien