“Nice atmosphere, very small bedrooms”
Review of Tucan Hotel

Tucan Hotel
Ranked #3 of 40 Speciality Lodging in Uvita
Neuenburg am Rhein, Alemania
“Nice atmosphere, very small bedrooms”
Reviewed 3 May 2011

we stayed in the hotel just for one night and the atmosphere there was very nice, a bit hippie-like with hammocks and meditation music, the rooms all have different decorations. But the 4-bed-dorms are very small, the mattress hard (felt like sleeping on a wooden bench and I'm definitely not pretentious) and it was very hot in the room. but the worst thing was that my money and my camera were stolen out of the room while we were sleeping and the staff didn't worry about it or help me in any way. The lack of a security guard is a clear deficite! So if you're planning to stay there just be careful with your luggage!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Salt Lake City
Reviewed 18 January 2011

We stayed 4 nights at the Tucan... myself, husband & 2 1/2 yo daughter. A great time. Got a room with private bathroom. Loved the air-conditioning - decreased moisture and noise. The mattresses are pretty bad, but I coped fine & don't have a bad back to begin with. The common area is really fun, with bar, restaurant tables, hammocks, massage table and kitchen. The music played promoted a mellow funky vibe & was off by 10 at the latest, which was a relief! I was a little concerned about this when we arrived, having travelled in Europe in my 20s and enjoyed partying loud & late at some hostels. This was not the case at the Tucan though. My 2 1/2 year old daughter loved dancing around, listening to music, meeting people and swinging in the hammocks. The dog is not too cool with little kids, but can be easily avoided. The restaurant served great & inexpensive food, but the service was slow slow slow. I really had to assert myself to get service. Tra was a very interesting guy, great sense of humor... very helpful with local tours on the spot. We took a surf lesson & horseback riding with Cuca - recommend both. We had our own car, so didn't use/need the shuttle. After the Tucan we went to the Marriott by the airport - what a let-down. So corporate! Definitely recommend the Tucan for fun & flavor!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 8 January 2011

I stayed here with my partner for 3 nights, firstly in a 4 bed dorm and then in a private room - Both rooms were comfortable.

The Tucan has a large covered open area with plenty of hammocks, tables and bar area (although strictly speaking they don't serve alcohol). There's a bank, supermarket, cafe/restaurants and few more shops within a couple of minutes walk, and the hostel arranges a free shuttle bus to the Uvita Beach, but you have to make you're on way back which was approx 45-60 mins walk.

The staff can arrange trips for you, or pop into the Uvita Info Centre by the shops. We did the Whale watching tour and a kayak trip through the mangroves which were both good.

There was a nice laidback and friendly atmosphere there, and the only downsides were that there's only two commual bathrooms, each with a toilet and shower, and the kitchen could do with a larger hob as you can only have two saucepans on at the same time, which led to having to stand in line to cook!

Wi-fi access plus one communal computer for internet access

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Marathon, Florida
Reviewed 1 December 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Toucan in November. I remembered reading about it on TA. We were stuck in Uvita for 5 nights do to the roads being washed out, north and south, (tomas over haiti made it happen in CR). The first night we stayed at a hotel up the hill and when we realized the next day how trapped we were, we decided to look for another motel. I saw the sign at Toucan and told my hubby to stop there so we could check it out. Well, we had breakfast and ended up staying for 4 nights. Trae and his family were wonderful. We had such a good time, as we were not the only ones trapped in Uvita. I cooked curry chicken for all that wanted. The restaurant there is Italian and is had the BEST Gorgonzola Pasta I've ever tasted. All and all we had a great time at the Toucan! Can't wait to visit them again!

Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Berkeley, California
Reviewed 29 November 2010

My girlfriend and I just got back from a trip to the tip of the Osa Peninsula in Costa Rica. On our way down, we stopped to stay at the Toucan Hotel/ Hostel because a friend told me he loved Uvita and my Lonely Planet guidebook recommended it. We ended up liking it so much that we stayed an extra day.

The owner, Trey, set us up with a nice private room with a private bath, a full size bed to sleep on and 2 single beds that we used to sort our gear for only $30 a night (it was the low season, I think it was regularly $35... more affordable still and nicer than our room at the Wide Mouth Frog Hostel in Quepos.) The family who runs the place are very warm and helpful... its an american guy and an Italian woman who clearly love what they are doing. She is a great cook, and makes dinner for the guests, and again prices are very reasonable. A local woman makes typical quick breakfasts until 9 for cheap. They have these great hammocks and comfy couches in the common area, computers you can use, wifi, tv, a bar, a treehouse with hammocks in case you feel like getting a little higher perspective on things, and a kitchen and fridge you can use to make your own food. There is shopping and an amazing whale park right nearby, and its a peaceful safe and friendly area of a beautiful country.

I highly recommend this place. Also, while you are there go on a horseback ride with Trey's local friend Cuca to the waterfall/ swimming hole and bar/restaruant nearby, and have him show you around the area. He speaks pretty much no English and we have little Spanish but we still enjoyed the trip immensely and it was only $25 per person for a 2-3 hour ride/tour/swim/ hang out and drink beers (he drank 4, I had one ;)

The highway from San Jose to here was recently redone so its a lot better than it used to be to drive here, and you can also easily take a bus to get here. Most locals seem to use the bus system a lot.

We rented a car from safecarrental.com.... you want to get a 4x4 because there are a lot of potholes and in some places dirt roads. We got a better deal negotiating just outside the airport in the ground transport area than we did booking ahead online- $320 for a month paid cash with a $750 deposit on the debit card. I recommend paying the extra $50 a week to use their GPS with Navstat navigation. The map I downloaded from GPStravelmaps.com for $50 didn't work very well. If you do drive, watch out for potholes and folks walking and biking along the dark roads with no lights or reflectors.

You can also get a single bed in a shared room or a room with no private bathroom if you are really on a budget and make your own food in the kitchen. Its backpacker paradise and not too shabby if you don't need a fancy Marriot or overpriced "ecoLodge" to feel comfortable. Our room had A/C and hot running water and it all worked, and the bed wasn't bad.

Bonus: The owners are in the only rock band in the area. They play great music in the common area all day, starting with quiet classical in the late morning and progressing to classic and contemporary rock and maybe some Sigur Ros at bedtime... tasteful and good vibes. AND we got awesome soft locally made hammocks here for $24 each. AND they have an awesome tiny dog and 3 sweet cats if you, like me, need your fix of fuzzy cuddles on the road.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Austin, TX
Reviewed 28 September 2010

Stayed here for a few nights and had a good time. First night we came without a reservation, and they were booked up. But they offered us a room called "Casa Kiki" out back, which was a small open-sided hut wrapped in chicken-wire with a tarp covering. For the few bucks they charged, it was a good deal. And we actually slept quite well in there.

The next couple nights we stayed in a normal room which had bunk beds. All rooms use shared bathrooms with hot water that are clean.

But the real gem of this place is the Italian restaurant. Freshly made, authentic Italian dishes made by an authentic Italian chef. Even if you don't stay here, come eat here!

Beach is walking distance (30 minutes) and had very few people around. Gorgeous, long-stretching beaches! Take some snacks or a picnic, and lots of drinks, and stay all day. Also take a steep hike up to the vista outlook and watch the sun go down - beautiful, and if the tide is right, you'll see the whale's tail (formation of rocks in the ocean).

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Breda, The Netherlands
Reviewed 15 September 2010

nice place, good atmosphere. Decent an clean room, but the bed was terrible (moist!).

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple