“So hip-and cool!”

Ranked #3 of 40 Speciality Lodging in Uvita
Oklahoma
“So hip-and cool!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

What a groovy little hostel! From the hammocks and cd's hanging from the ceiling as lightcatchers/lamps, this is a happening little place. The rooms are relatively clean and the folks are nice. The air conditioners are a great change of pace from the other hostels we encountered in CR. The food was very good and the prices were reasonable--except for the laundry! We made the mistake of having them do our laundry (we were desparate and there are no coin laundries in Costa Rica) They charged us $15 for a load of laundry and everything came back smelling cleaner but looking dirtier than when we gave it to them. Not only did it look grey and grundgy, there were rust marks all over as if it had been hanged on a rusty pipe. And, of course, my favorite shirt was gone. I would have been better off throwing away my clothes and starting over. I had to anyway.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Taganga, Colombia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2011

Very lively and cozy Hostel the Tucan Hotel is a great place to stopover in your Costa Rica trip, great bar, comfortable rooms, superb food at the inhouse casual restaurant. Good music throughout the day and free coffe the whole day. Also the owner has a rock band that performs live on saturday night in the main Hotel area (if they are not touring around the country for other gigs) The owner TRA and all his staff are very welcoming, friendly and helpful and so is the Italian lady Elisabetta who runs the restaurant. It feels like home from home. Very good value for money.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
Keezletown, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2011

I stayed at the Tucan with my daughter for 4 nights. We loved the hominess and made several friends. This was my first introduction to the hostel scene, though I don't know if this is typical for a hostel. When we arrived, we were immediately greeted by Elizabeth's friendly and charming Italian accent. The rooms were clean and adequate, with choices of private bath or shared. The price was reasonable, and there were even options for cheap sleeping on a hammock. There is a kitchen for guests and fridge space for our drinks. The delicious italian suppers made by italian chef/owner, Elizabeth, were a very pleasant surprize. Breakfast is available as well. We made friends with some very nice people, which made our stay so enjoyable. Tra and Elizabeth gave us some pointers for local things to do. On their recommendation, my daughter found Tito and received a very helpful surf lesson, and then we enjoyed a beautiful afternoon at a local restaurant/fish farm, with superbly cooked Talapia, followed by a refreshing dip in the local swimming hole. Other ammenities are computer access, and free wireless, a large selection of movies, a pool table, availability of surf boards, snorkel equipment, and bicycles, free shuttle to the local beach, and Saturdays there is a jam session where guests are invited to participate. Our AC wasn't cooling properly, and they immediately brought us a fan and spent the next several hours fixing it.

You can enjoy the best of what Costa Rica has to offer, by staying at the Tucan and experiencing life in the area, with convenient walking distance to the local shops, and even to the beach if you want to walk a little further. This is a homy, down to earth place with all the basics. It is not fancy or upscale, but after experiencing the Tucan and it's friendly atmosphere, I'm not sure I want to go back to "upscale" with prices 3-5 times higher. Thanks Tra, Elizabeth, and Uvita for a very memorable vacation. Faythe Silveira

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Neuenburg am Rhein, Alemania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2011

we stayed in the hotel just for one night and the atmosphere there was very nice, a bit hippie-like with hammocks and meditation music, the rooms all have different decorations. But the 4-bed-dorms are very small, the mattress hard (felt like sleeping on a wooden bench and I'm definitely not pretentious) and it was very hot in the room. but the worst thing was that my money and my camera were stolen out of the room while we were sleeping and the staff didn't worry about it or help me in any way. The lack of a security guard is a clear deficite! So if you're planning to stay there just be careful with your luggage!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Salt Lake City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2011

We stayed 4 nights at the Tucan... myself, husband & 2 1/2 yo daughter. A great time. Got a room with private bathroom. Loved the air-conditioning - decreased moisture and noise. The mattresses are pretty bad, but I coped fine & don't have a bad back to begin with. The common area is really fun, with bar, restaurant tables, hammocks, massage table and kitchen. The music played promoted a mellow funky vibe & was off by 10 at the latest, which was a relief! I was a little concerned about this when we arrived, having travelled in Europe in my 20s and enjoyed partying loud & late at some hostels. This was not the case at the Tucan though. My 2 1/2 year old daughter loved dancing around, listening to music, meeting people and swinging in the hammocks. The dog is not too cool with little kids, but can be easily avoided. The restaurant served great & inexpensive food, but the service was slow slow slow. I really had to assert myself to get service. Tra was a very interesting guy, great sense of humor... very helpful with local tours on the spot. We took a surf lesson & horseback riding with Cuca - recommend both. We had our own car, so didn't use/need the shuttle. After the Tucan we went to the Marriott by the airport - what a let-down. So corporate! Definitely recommend the Tucan for fun & flavor!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2011

I stayed here with my partner for 3 nights, firstly in a 4 bed dorm and then in a private room - Both rooms were comfortable.

The Tucan has a large covered open area with plenty of hammocks, tables and bar area (although strictly speaking they don't serve alcohol). There's a bank, supermarket, cafe/restaurants and few more shops within a couple of minutes walk, and the hostel arranges a free shuttle bus to the Uvita Beach, but you have to make you're on way back which was approx 45-60 mins walk.

The staff can arrange trips for you, or pop into the Uvita Info Centre by the shops. We did the Whale watching tour and a kayak trip through the mangroves which were both good.

There was a nice laidback and friendly atmosphere there, and the only downsides were that there's only two commual bathrooms, each with a toilet and shower, and the kitchen could do with a larger hob as you can only have two saucepans on at the same time, which led to having to stand in line to cook!

Wi-fi access plus one communal computer for internet access

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Marathon, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Toucan in November. I remembered reading about it on TA. We were stuck in Uvita for 5 nights do to the roads being washed out, north and south, (tomas over haiti made it happen in CR). The first night we stayed at a hotel up the hill and when we realized the next day how trapped we were, we decided to look for another motel. I saw the sign at Toucan and told my hubby to stop there so we could check it out. Well, we had breakfast and ended up staying for 4 nights. Trae and his family were wonderful. We had such a good time, as we were not the only ones trapped in Uvita. I cooked curry chicken for all that wanted. The restaurant there is Italian and is had the BEST Gorgonzola Pasta I've ever tasted. All and all we had a great time at the Toucan! Can't wait to visit them again!

Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Uvita
Hotel Canto de Ballenas
#9 of 14 in Dominical
La Cusinga Eco Lodge
La Cusinga Eco Lodge
#5 of 12 in Uvita

Been to Tucan Hotel? Share your experiences!