“The Tucan”
Review of Tucan Hotel

Tucan Hotel
Ranked #3 of 41 Speciality Lodging in Uvita
Reviewed 28 February 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for just under a week earlier this month. The rooms were clean, basic, but had everything you needed - clean sheets, AC, hot and cold water. Loved the openness of the main hangout/lobby. Beautiful artwork, colorful people, good staff. Carla and Marcus were really good to us!!!! We didn't want to leave. And if we hadn't already booked our next location, we would've stayed a couple more nights. We had lots of hiking, exploring, adventures planned during the morning hours into the early afternoon, but we were itching to find something close to do during the evenings. Someone suggested the Whales and Dolphins resort for dinner and to watch the sunset. AMAZING! We even went back for dinner the next night. A little pricey, but you're paying for good drinks, food and one of the most beautiful views I've ever seen. Thanks Tucan, hope to be back someday!!

Room Tip: I thought all the rooms were great. We splurged and got a private room with a bathroom, but would...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 January 2013

I can't speak too badly about this place, I did enjoy my time, but I had a couple of experiences that left me with kind of a crappy taste in my mouth.

So, first the positives: Carla was very warm and welcoming when we got there. Went out of her way to help us out. The vibe and atmosphere there are really quite special-- very relaxing. The rooms have clean sheets, comfy beds, and offer a very good sleep. Great place to meet people. FANTASTIC that they give you a ride to the beach. Also a very nice collection of information about tours and their prices, bus schedules, maps around the area, etc.

Mediocre: the kitchen- nothing special and VERY basic. Enough to cook the simplest of meals, but very little work space, and very few utensils and pots/pans, etc. The A/C. This area is SUPER hot and humid-- our first night, the A/C was kind of weak, missing the knobs, and kind of a pain.

Bad experiences: First, I gave my laundry to be done at about 11 am the day we arrived. It wasn't even put into the machine until after 9 pm, so by the time I hung it all up around 10:30 pm, there was no sun, no time for it to dry for the next day. THEN, Carla had quoted me a slightly lesser price because I really just needed to wash socks and underwear, and it wasn't a big load at all. The staff person got very defensive with me when I told him this and said it was impossible and that I was lying. So I told him to ask Carla, he went and did so, and then came back to me and lectured me on how that wasn't supposed to be how it was and that he would do it because she had quoted me the price, but usually he wouldn't. As if that's my bloody problem...and calling me a liar...to my face? Absolutely unacceptable.

Secondly, we checked out at 6:30 am because we thought our bus was coming at 7 am. Turns out it came at 6 am, so we had to wait for the next one until 9:30 am. So we came back to the hostel and asked if we could have our room back (which hadn't been cleaned even by the time we left at 9:30 am) and my friend was flatly told "no". I don't know why on earth that would be the last memory you'd want to give somebody of your hostel, especially when the room wasn't being used or even being cleaned, but that experience left a somewhat foul taste in my mouth and probably caused me to bump an otherwise nice stay worthy of 4 stars down to only 3. I've worked in hospitality management and currently have a job with part of my portfolio being a hospitality consultant, and literally the most important part of a guest's stay at a hotel (or hostel-- price needn't determine basic courtesy) or restaurant are the departure-- that he or she feel completely comfortable, taken care of, and sent off in a polite, respectful, and personable manner. Completely the opposite of what we experienced, unfortunately.

But, overall a pretty good hostel.

Room Tip: Splurge a bit and take a private room with A/C. Dorms just have personal fans, and the humidity in U...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank MapleHoja
Reviewed 28 December 2012

I ususally dont go to low budget hotel ,because too often you get what you pay for ,if you re lucky .But as I did not want to rent a car ,and most hotels are high in the mountain , deceided to check it out .Im surely glad i did .. The place is really clean ,the clients quite decent , not like some low budget hotels who attracted only drifters .Here , many groups , or girl friends get-away ,or family . No pools but the beach is near by .
The receptions is just the best , the welcome ,the informations , the service etc ,better than n some 4 stars hotels I stayed in the area .Carla , the lovely italian manager ,obviously loves a job and cares for the guest ,and cooks in the eveving .
The restaurant is just a few tables ,but the food is worthy of a 4 stars hotels , international food with an italian touch , for 12 USD , the best meal I had in the all costa rica .So ,if you dont mind a simple decoration ,but are demanding about the food quality ,this is it !

Room Tip: its usually dormitory , bunks beds but clean , we took a private room . th reception has a safe box...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2012

We stayed for almost a week at Tucan and enjoyed it a lot. The place is really nice to chill and read in one of the hammocks - or watch a free movie at night. The staff is great, all very helpful and friendly - you can feel, they really like their job.
We stayed in a double room with private bath, which was really nice! Big bathroom with hot water and a spacious room with a comfortable bed. The communal kitchen serves fine for cooking dinner or making your own breakfast, if you want to save some money. The restaurant inside the hostel serves food, too. The pancakes were fine, although the pasta we tried one night was not that great. For great local food try the soda "La Canalla" (just a short walk away, if you leave the hostel turn right - on the way to the waterfall). Great casados!
The beach is quite far, but most of the hostels in Uvita are not close to the beach. That's one thing you have to deal with, but Tucan Hotel offers a free shuttle to the beach in the morning. We had a great time there - did a whale waching tou, too! - and would definitely come back!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Patsy H
Reviewed 21 September 2012

was a great spot to meet people if you are traveling alone, a super cool vibe inspired by the owners, a couple of expats that live on site. it has super quiet and decent dorm rooms, and a very communal vibe out in the courtyard that lends itself to interaction with new people. the bar/restaurant is well priced, but not cheap. good for what you get.

Room Tip: I really liked the treehouse, there is a cool screen tent outside too if you want fresh air. the dor...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 August 2012

When our group of 17 teenagers and their chaperones saw this place, they literally gasped with delight. The rooms are arranged on either side of an interior space covered on top and open on the ends. The “roof” also had skylights so the whole space is light and open feeling. Under this canopy there are hammocks, seating areas with couches, a piano, a pool table, a small restaurant, and lots of interesting art.

Each room is themed around a different country and ours were all air-conditioned! Hot showers and cool air, what luxury!

Elizabeth runs the place and was so welcoming and kind, we felt instantly at home. The first night we phoned to let her know that we would arrive around 7 and wanted to have dinner there. She had a great dinner waiting for us when we arrived. Breakfast was also a treat, with yummy pancakes one day.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 August 2012

Nice rooms with a private bath for cheap. the people are nice, and this place has an extremely relaxing vibe about it. Its a great place to crash after some rugged traveling. I would go back for sure...!!!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo