We had a delightful week at La Cusinga. We had spent some time driving around in circles getting out of San Jose (the GPS didn't help!) and arrived tired and hungry in the middle of a thunderstorm. The guy in charge was so nice, and we were very relieved that they had dinner for us, even though it was after 9:00!
This lodge is in a beautiful spot, on a hillside above the Pacific. From the deck you can see for miles up and down the coast. Some people saw whales. Everyone saw toucans, aracaris, howler monkeys, brightly colored warblers of various types, frigate birds, agoutis, capuchin monkeys, right there on the property.
The food is delicious and plentiful. Most of it is traditional Costa Rica style food, with some variation, and most of it is also organic and grown/raised in their gardens. The coffee ice cream was the best ice cream I've ever had.
The beach is delightful! It was a little longer than they said, since it's a little steep towards the end, but the walk is pretty and once you get to that beach you will not want to leave! We often had the beach entirely to ourselves. And we saw monkeys and interesting birds while we were there. The swimming was pleasant though I didn't want to venture out too far because the current seemed strong.
We loved the little cabin we stayed in, with its little back porch. It was not buggy and we enjoyed sitting out on the porch in the evenings, having a glass of wine and watching the sunset. Before dinner, a lot of people congregate at the deck near the dining room, just lazing. There are rocking chairs and a hammock. SO relaxing!
The staff was always pleasant and helpful, and the facility was always spotlessly clean.
One evening a group of howler monkeys visited, hanging around next to the parking lot so that we could all get good photos.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hidden in the hilltops overlooking the pristine beaches of Costa Rica's still-virgin south pacific, where the ocean crashes into the jungle sits La Cusinga. Tucked away in a private reserve of over 600 acres, this rainforest lodge provides guests with sweeping ocean views, sandy beaches, natural pools, and the chance to experience the burgeoning forests and astonishing wildlife of the country's most famous ecosystem - OSA. The hotel offers ten rooms designed with sustainably-harvested wood and local materials to maximize comfort while minimizing impact on the environment. The open-air restaurant creates an ideal setting for couples and families alike to enjoy delicious tropical dishes made with fresh produce grown on our farm. The lodge's genuine commitment to sustainable practices along with our first-hand experience in local and national conservation efforts enrich our guests' appreciation of these ecosystems and the importance of their continued preservation. This unique insight enhances the exploration of the natural surroundings while the beautiful location offers the tranquility of fresh ocean breezes and breathtaking sunsets that make for the perfect tropical escape. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Agoda, Odigeo and HotelQuickly so you can book your La Cusinga Eco Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Cusinga Eco Hotel Uvita
- La Cusinga Eco Lodge Costa Rica/Uvita