“Wonderful Stay”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Toronto, Canada
“Wonderful Stay”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I had the pleasure of staying at La Cusinga for 4 days, while on a tour around Costa Rica. The food was wonderful, the scenery was breathtaking, there many great trails to explore, and the rooms were spacious and comfortable. It was nice to know that the owners strive to preserve the natural environment of the surrounding rainforest. I thoroughly enjoyed my visit and definitely would consider La Cusinga Eco Lodge as one of the best places I stayed at while visiting Costa Rica.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Geinier, General Manager at La Cusinga Eco Lodge, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Thank you! for your review and for sharing the photos!

we are glad that you had a good stay with us and that you enjoyed our place. we work hard to preserve our area, for more than 40 years we have been here and we have always been the tree huggers of the area, and we are proud it because today we have a place that we can enjoy and be part of nature. And we can share it with people like you that also like nature!

"The food was wonderful, the scenery was breathtaking, there many great trails to explore, and the rooms were spacious and comfortable. It was nice to know that the owners strive to preserve the natural environment of the surrounding rainforest."

and the entire review!

thank you again and Pura VIda!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Hebrew first
Agen, France
Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

This is probably one of the nicest place we've been during our 11 days trip in Costa Rica. We spent one day and one night there. The location, in front of the Punta Uvita, is just amazing. The staff is really smiling and welcoming. Food is OK. Our wood bungalow was realy pleasant.
BUT : we had the misfortune to stay there in the same time than a very noisy and impolite 15 people group (who, by coincidence, was American). Although the staff seemed to be really sorry of it, this group definitely spoiled our stay in this lodge. The mirador, an open place with rocking chairs, hammocks, with an amazing view on the ocean, is spoiled by noisy people, taking all the space. Moreover the bungalows are not soundproof, and we heard people (the same) from the trails at 6:30 am. The massage room is located beneath a room, and of course very noisy also. Too bad !

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tom_B_47
Tom B,

I love the first part of your review:

"This is probably one of the nicest place we've been during our 11 days trip in Costa Rica. We spent one day and one night there. The location, in front of the Punta Uvita, is just amazing. The staff is really smiling and welcoming. "

The rest of the review I understand and tried to correct the situation. First of all we are sorry that you had a negative experience. We have a lot of yoga groups in our hotel and part of their routine is yoga in the morning and evening. The morning in the jungle start early with the howlers calling everyone to wake up, and the toucans looking for breakfast.

We will take your review to heart and we have already had a meeting to make sure we can work out this type of issues, so we can have everyone enjoy their stay to the fullest. For us this is the first time we have this issue. We hope you come back and have a better experience!

Again thank you for your feedback!
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 11 January 2014

My wife and I recently made our first trip to Costa Rica. We decided to visit the Uvita area on the Pacific Coast due to the recommendations from our friends Roger & Anita, and Amy (all of Geoporter). We spent 4 nights at La Cusinga in mid December 2013. La Cusinga was a fabulous choice and aligned with our personal values of conservation and natural wonder.

The La Cusinga experience begins with driving down the entry road with its tight curves and meanders. As you enter the parking area the natural elements fill your senses (sights, sounds, textures, fragrances, all give evidence of a serene place). Olman, very gracious young man, welcomed us at the office, checked us in and showed us to our room. The room was awesome beginning with the approach to the front door, the wooden materials, the arched design and the room continued to impress as we entered to natural woods, fibers, fresh linens and an open design filled with natural light. As we made our way through the room we wandered out to the covered balcony/patio with a 180 degree view of the Pacific Ocean; we had an uninterupted view of Whale Island, Tres Hermosas (Three Sisters), the west horizon, the Whale Tail of the National Park not to mention amazing flora and fauna. I think we captured 1000 photos from the balcony. It was a wonderful place to share the early morning with the monkey and birds; with our coffee in hand we welcomed each day.

The architecture of the grounds, buildings, trails and all facilities were impressive and inspiring. There are numerous natural trails through the rain forest, leading to the beach, leading to the the point, and throughout the facility. The lodge's style was very attractive and included a wonderful open-air, covered patio for guests to watch the whales, dolphin, birds, and from which to take pictures, to read or just to let the day wind down while occupying a hammock.

We enjoyed breakfast each day, it is included, and had dinner with them twice while there. Both dinners exceeded our expectations and was quite filling; it was an effort to clean my plate but I didn't want to leave anything! The meals were a bargain for what we received. They did a great job with the menu they choose each night - several courses all of which were awesome. One of the nights we ate dinner at La Cusinga was my wife's birthday and they surprised us with a homemade birthday cake - it was a perfect end to a great day.

The yoga platform was something out of a magazine, just an awesome, peaceful place.

I was surprised at the value, i think we got a great value for the cost. We did have a small rental car which allowed us to travel into Uvita and to experience all the region had to offer.

We did make a few comments about the location of their spa (the room used for massages). It, at the time of our stay, was on the first floor of a two level structure and the guests staying on the second floor, as one would expect, made some subtle noises; the noise of guests took away from the peaceful tranquility needed to ensure a great massage. My wife said the massage was wonderful but the sounds of people enjoying the day did take away from the solitude desired during a massage. We suggested they do something to isolate the massage experience in order that the ocean's surf and soft music was all that inter-twined with the soothing massage.

We highly recommend La Cusinga but also suggest you set your expectations correctly. This is an eco-lodge that demonstrates great respect for the local, natural beauty and the environment.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
SCOTT S,

Thank you so much for your visit, and for taking your time to give us such a great review! Anita is down here and thanked her for the referral! We are so glad that you and your wife had a great time with us!

" La Cusinga was a fabulous choice and aligned with our personal values of conservation and natural wonder. "

Those word give us great hope that we are doing things right!

We hope that you do come back! and thank you for all the referrals that, some one told me, that you are given! thank you!

Pura Vida!
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at La Cusinga for a couple of nights at the end of our trip through Costa Rica and we wish we had more time to spend at this hotel! It is absolutely gorgeous! We had already stayed at a few other hotels along our trip and thought we had grown accustomed to the beauty that Costa Rica has to offer, but we were blown away when we were welcomed up to a picturesque veranda that overlooks a very private beach and ocean. The staff we immediately welcoming even though we arrived a few hours early and. Our room was beautiful, though the showers were cold and the room has no air conditioning. A/C isn't really necessary since the rooms all have windows all around that have screens and let the beautiful ocean breeze flow in. The rooms can be noisy, so I might not recommend to light sleepers. The views from the room are incredible and if you so choose, you could easily sip some wine and relax there all day. The hotel can also book plenty of activities for you from night hikes, surfing, boat tours, snorkeling about ten minutes from the hotel - they will gladly coordinate EVERYTHING for you including travel arrangements, and you also have access to the private beach and hiking trails that originate at the hotel. Really, the staff are so knowledgable about activities and can help plan your days and they're SO friendly! On our final morning, we went for a hike at the hotel around 7am and watched about eight monkeys in the trees - a fun way to end the trip! Definitely take advantage of the buffet lunch and dinner - a bit pricey but SO worth it! The staff is so accommodating that they made breakfast for us early so that we wouldn't be late for a snorkeling tour and also on our last day so that we could make our flight on time. I'd 100% recommend La Cusinga to couples and families alike.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Geinier, General Manager at La Cusinga Eco Lodge, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
"I'd 100% recommend La Cusinga to couples and families alike. "

very kind words! Thank you! I am glad that our team made your stay an enjoyable one! We are here to make the stay of our guest the best one possible and to make sure you can enjoy our hotel and our community and all the fun stuff you can explore.

One of the things that I love about working here is nature, walking from my room to the main area you can see monkeys in the parking lot area, or outside your room. Birds everywhere! The sounds during the day and night of the fauna is always excited!

We are a place to enjoy and to be one with Nature! To enjoy great sunsets, hike to the beach, find a swimming hole in the river, or just enjoy a glass of wine, a cold beer while you wait to enjoy a fresh, local and organic meal!

Again thank you for sharing your great review!!

Pura Vida!
Springfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I used to live in Costa Rica and I travel there fairly often. I am always looking for the best eco lodges and authentic Costa Rica experience. This is it! It just made my top 5 places in Costa Rica for sure! Here's why:
1. best views of any lodge in the area. A true 180 degree view of the whale tail to the right and other island to the left. spectacular.
2: No swimming pool... who needs it? You have the beach only 10 minute walk down a trail next to the parking area (steep at the end with lots of roots). I did not recommend my 71 y/o mother to try this trail. But anyone with normal mobility and balance will be perfectly fine. The beach also has a waterfall... ON the beach to rinse off it after your swim. Delightful. Then there is the pozo (GET DIRECTIONS) only a 3 minute walk from the common area. The river on the property has a swimming hole. I was the only one using it! My own private swimming hole.
3. It's a true eco lodge with solar hot water, they have their own chickens/eggs, grow a lot of their own veggies. It is also a farm.
4. birding.... lots of birds and animals. lush forest wildlife friendly
5. Food, great food and the dining area has the best view!
6. clean nice cabins. I don't need 5 star luxury. I want clean comfortable rooms with a great view amongst the wildlife and jungle and a sea breeze at night. Well designed with a ceiling fan, vented ceiling for the heat to escape. I was comfortable sleeping at night with just a sheet. No A/C as it is an eco-lodge, but I would never have wanted or needed it. Sea breezes are better.

Breakfast included. The staff, especially the cooks, are delightful! Be aware of the prices for lunch and dinner, otherwise you will be in for a small shock. Food is excellent! Plenty of places to eat in the town of Uvita if you are out and about exploring the area. wi-fi only up in the common area. Common area is a great place to hang out. They should get more rocking chairs and seating in general up there is the only improvement I could recommend.

We wanted to stay here longer but when I made the reservations for Xmas time (highest season), they had already booked a large group so I could only get in for 2 nights. We stayed at other places in the area (see my other reviews). But this was my favorite. Would absolutely return in a heartbeat. Wish we had 5 nights here.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a cabin without a great view. Note: there seems to be a dormitory style...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
monkeycleo,

Thank you so much for your review! I am glad you had a good experience! Sorry that we where full and that you where not able to stay more nights with us!

" I am always looking for the best eco lodges and authentic Costa Rica experience. This is it! It just made my top 5 places in Costa Rica for sure!" thank you!!! I am glad we are in your top 5 places.

Yes our rates for meals can seen high at first, but if you look at what it includes you will see that at the end it will be lower than most places. Your meals include fresh water and natural juice (free refills), coffee and tea are also included. Dinner has a soup, salad, main course and dessert. An As you stated our meals are great organic, local and fesh!

the above clarification is mainly for the future readers!

Again thank you so much for your review!!! Pura Vida and happy new year!!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

We had a superb stay here! It's very Eco friendly, the view is amazing and the food delicious! I love that they ask you to reserve for dinner so that they don't cook too much and produce waste. All hot water is solar powered. You get a completely private beach after a beautiful short hike through monkey rainforest. I suffered home sickness when we left it after 3 nights, I would so recommend it!!!!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Geinier, General Manager at La Cusinga Eco Lodge, responded to this review, 1 January 2014
First of January 2014, from all of us happy New Year!!! Thank you for choosing us and for taking your time to share your experience with us! Glad that you miss us! always great to know!!! But you can always come back and we will make sure to take care of you as we did this time! Thank you again and we hope you have a great year!!! Muchas Gracias!!!
Santa Cruz
Reviewed 19 December 2013

What a lovely place. Located overlooking the ocean and so quiet and peaceful. Rooms are comfortable, food is excellent and the staff is so friendly and helpful. There is a lovely open sitting area where you can connect to wi-fi or just sit in one of several rocking chairs and watch the beautiful birds. This is not some glamorous, opulent resort hotel but rather a beautiful, simple and very peaceful place to stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Happy New Year! Thank you for your review, to us it is an essential part of how we improve everyday the way we do our job. We are glad you had time to enjoy our place, looks like to had a good view of the toucans! the resting area, or mirador is the best feet up birdwatching you can do around here! Again thank you and have a great 2014!!! Pura Vida!