La Cusinga Eco Lodge
US$85
US$73
Rancho Pacifico(Uvita)
US$429
Hotel Luz de Luna(Uvita)(Great Value!)
US$82
Hotwire.com
TripAdvisor
All reviewshowler monkeysprivate beachswimming holecosta ricalocal materialsyoga studiothere is no air conditioninghiking trailstropical paradisepacific coasthot waterbahia ballenabreathtaking viewswhale watchingnational parkpura vidalow tide
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We had chosen this hotel because of the trip advisors reviews. We were charmed by the image they presented on their website as an ecolodge, blue flag, "yoga retreat" and many other prices and certifications they have received.
Staff: very friendly. But they need to improve when they guide people at hotel. There is a need of more explanation of what and why they do what they do, the farm (no one told us anything about it) the activities offered or where can we find them if we needed them. Most of the time the reception was closed. It is the first time we see this in a hotel.
Food: awful. It is terribly salty, full of flavorings. I just could not eat it. Three members of my family got sick the last day with the breakfast. I suppose the idea is to have a healthy menu because they offer vegetarian and vegan food. But I suspect the chefs being afraid that only veggies will be not good enough they put too much seasonings. There is a "savoir faire" that is missed in this kitchen. As we complained they gave us the only dinner we ate there for free (because next night we went to the excellent restaurants in Ojochal). That was nice from them.
Rooms: nice, clean, you are surrounded by forest so not too much light at night will avoid one of those huge grasshopper to land on you!!! We enjoyed watching the insects.
Terrace: this is the best part of the hotel. The sunsets are memorable. AND this is the place were the courtesy coffee, tea and fruit juice should be. It allows people to socialize. Otherwise there is a strong feeling you are on your own at this hotel. Is a little sad I have to say. The hotel is missing some spirit.
Yoga: how to say this...the website gives the impression that there is something happening all the time, that what is a yoga retreat. Well no. Actually if you want a class they call a teacher. Luckily we are experienced yoga practitioners so we just grabbed our mats and went by ourselves to the "yoga shala". We couldn't help to feel that the place was like abandoned. But as soon as you get into your practice then is fine. The wood floor is perfect. The view to the ocean...well, this place could have been really awesome, more open. Actually the website should read : "Yoga teachers we offer facilities for groups, and/or, Yoga practitioners we can organize classes for you. We do not have a resident yoga program ".
Good luck with your improvements.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Nomadjeli
Geinier, General Manager at La Cusinga Eco Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

“Needs improvement”

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that you had such experience! Not sure why! And also it would have been better to had told us during your stay so we could have corrected the issues that we had the power to correct. But we are grateful to have gotten your feedback. Again sorry that you had those issues. We are looking into each of the points to make sure we can rectify them all.

Regarding the staff and the information, we have in reception booklets with information of activities, also in the main area and a copy in each room. I will double check what happen there. Reception is closed when they are in the common area or the restaurant helping out with other clients!

The food, I am very surprised and i will look into this, as we do not use heavy amounts or quantities of condiments. I will like more information on the specifics (the meals, dates if you remember) so we can look into it and find out where we went wrong.

Yoga: we have a great place to enjoy yoga, we host groups with their own yoga professors, or if you want a private class we have local professors that will give you lessons! No class is free! Not sure what you mean by " We couldn't help to feel that the place was like abandoned." It is a new place and we do have it in pristine shape!

Again thank for your feedback, we will love a message with more details regarding the food issue! and what happen, what you had, and what days!

thank you!

Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Our kids are 6 and 9 and Arco beach was the best beach we visited in Costa Rica. Almost private with a cool, vine-covered trail leading to a protected cove. Huge flat beach so room to play frisbee or soccer and run around. Fun cave to play in. But the best part was the perfect sized waves with a sandy flat bottom. Kids could have played and body boarded there forever. We enjoyed it too! I stayed in the water longer than usual.

The food was great and our lunch to take to the beach was gourmet. The view from our room and the common are was incredible and the sunsets were perfect. My only complaint was the price was high for the quality of the room. Very basic. But the beds were comfy, everything super clean, and friendly staff.

Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Kiki149

"The food was great and our lunch to take to the beach was gourmet."

Thank you for all your comments! Thank you for taking your time to give us your feedback! And thank you for visiting us!

We are glad that you and your family had a good stay!

Reviewed 15 April 2014

The hotel grounds are wonderful and its in a good location. The staff is terrific - really nice and even put up with my terrible spanish - letting me practice rather than speaking to me in English, which is the norm in Costa Rica. Because of this, I really didn't want to write this review -but I feel others ought to know what room they will be in before they book. My complaint has solely to do with our room. There was NOT a queen size bed and there was NO ocean views - contrary to their representations on the website. (I assume all the other rooms did have a queen bed and they definitely had an ocean view and that this applies only to our room). Based on prior reviews, I am thinking they changed the message room into another sleeping room. We were downstairs below another room. Thankfully, there was no one up there the first night, but that was not the case the second night. I would have had no problem had I been forewarned that they only had one room left and that it was smaller than the rest. I also would have had no problem had I been charged less than people staying in the nice rooms. But to pay the same, when you are stuck in a room that feels like its in the basement that is barely bigger than the double bed and that has almost no ventilation (due to being down on the jungle level so its really hot), is not ok for $172 per night. [and, by the way, the room looks absolutely nothing like the pictures on the web). Most other hotels seems to charge different rates based on the room, which is what I suggest for La Cusinga. My advice for anyone reading this review is to stay at La Cusinga, but find out what room you are in and make sure you get one of the good rooms. If you do, I expect you will have a wonderful time at La Cusinga.

Room Tip: See my review above.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank stephanie s
Geinier, General Manager at La Cusinga Eco Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Thank you for your visit and for your review!

We are sorry that you did not like your room! We normally sell that room after telling the person how it is and that it is below another one! We are working hard to see how else we can sale it, as per your feedback, we are making it a single (one person) room at a lower rate and hope that will help. We are also looking to see if we can make it a bit more open. So for this i thank you! As it is this type of feedback that makes was be better and improve and the areas that we see that you as a client are not happy about!

So Colibri 2 is the name of this room, for future bookings. It is the one that you need to make sure you ask if you are a one person travel!

Muchas gracias and hope to see you back so you can enjoy a different room!

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Excellent hotel, very peaceful, full of nature and superb views of the ocean and the Marino Ballena National Park. Keep in mind that you are booking a hotel with no A/C, no pool, no minibar at the rooms and a very environmentally-flriendly concept; if that's what you are looking for, the hotel is great and the food, all of it made from scratch with local and seasonal ingredients, is impecable. If you are lucky enough, they will have the passionfruit ice cream - this alone would be worth the travel.
You even get to see wild animals, such as guatusas or howling monkeys, walking around the property
Staff is also great, very helpful and understading with a couple traveling with a 1-yr old daughter. They are all very friendly, even the guys working at the farm, not directly hotel staff.
On the down side, if you are traveling with little kids who cannot climb stairs on their own, be prepared for carrying them through a lot of stairs. It is not such a big deal, but be aware of it.
Beach access is somewhat difficult, because it is a trail through the jungle, but totally worth the effort, because the beach is isolated and almost exclusive for hotel guests. If you don't want to take the trail, National park is less than a 10-min drive away.
We will wait for our kid to grow a little bit, and will definitely return.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Pura Vida!!

thank you for your visit,and more so for taking your time to share it with the world!

"Keep in mind that you are booking a hotel with no A/C, no pool, no minibar at the rooms and a very environmentally-flriendly concept; if that's what you are looking for, the hotel is great and the food, all of it made from scratch with local and seasonal ingredients, is impecable."

thank you!!!!!

Reviewed 12 April 2014

I stayed here on the way down to Pavones. I did their combo package for two days which included meals and a boat trip outing. The grounds were peaceful and serene and the staff was really friendly. There is wireless available in the common area and my room was really clean. Their yoga studio is brand new and absolutely beautiful, so it would be a great place to do a yoga retreat. The meals were good, but I think they are kind of expensive for what you get if you do not do the combo package (about $25 for dinner). The combo tour was great. I was picked up in the morning and taken on a boat for a day of snorkeling, whale watching and dolphin watching. I would confirm which day the tour will be if you do the combo option because I had a small mix up about whether I was going on the tour the day I checked out or the day before. Overall it was a great place to stay!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for your visit and also for taking your time to give us your feedback!

"Their yoga studio is brand new and absolutely beautiful, so it would be a great place to do a yoga retreat."

We hope that you can come back and bring a yoga group! ;) we are having a great deal of success with coordinating Yoga events! SO yes it is a great place for yoga!

Again thank you!!!