“Paradise”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Utah
“Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2010

Beautiful views, attentive staff, local food fit for a king. The beach is pristine and empty, and you wake up to monkeys and birds everywhere. For those who want to just lay on the beach or birdwatch, a great spot. For those who want more, Uvita is a couple miles away, where tours and more are available. Great place to truly get away from it all.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Hebrew first
san jose ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2010

All the wonderful comments are not exaggerated. It is very peaceful. The rooms are very clean. Diego and Cindy catered to our every need. Chef Dave is everything that is posted and then some. I had the best meals I have ever had. \
It is a hike to the rooms and the hike to the beach is 15 minutes but a very steep hike back but it was worth it for the exceptional ocean views.
Snorkeling in Costa Rica is overrated. We didn't see whales, dolphins or fish our first day on the combo tour but they took us out the next day for free and we did see many whales but few fish.
We would stay here again in a minute and had a difficult time leaving.
Eat lunch at the nearby "sodas". The food was great and they are willing to cater to vegetarians. Our favorite soda was Marisa's. Just walk on down to the house.
Contrary to the previous review we had internet the whole time but who needs it in paradise?

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2010

Driving to La Cusinga from San Jose took about 5 hours, but it was worth it. This place is beautiful and a perfect place to stay for those who want a true ecolodge experience.
Getting to the beach was a steep descent down man made stairs, but we saw monkeys, birds, frogs and butterflies every time we took the 15-20 min hike .The food was fantastic and always fresh. The architecture is awesome with natural wood and rocks used from Costa Rica. Cindy and Diego and the other staff were so helpful. The only suggestion is that their chairs aren't very comfortable for relaxing in...I also wish they had had some hammocks closer to be able to view the ocean from.

We had a fabulous time and will definitely be back.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
St. Louis, MO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2009

I stayed at La Cusinga in November 2009 with my sister and we both loved the place.

La Cusinga is what I'd call a luxury eco-lodge. It combines a natural setting of forested hills, trails and beach with large, beautiful but rustic feeling cabins. Our cabin had a great view of an almond tree where aracari's, parrots and other birds gathered every morning. You could do some serious bird-watching just from the porch on our cabin.

I'd have to put in a special thanks to our staff, Senor Juan Carlos who made us feel so at home and well taken care of. A lodge depends on its staff and Juan Carlos made the stay perfect for us.

The food was also stellar, so a big thanks to the kitchen staff.

Outside of the birding and the trails, what I remember most about La Cusinga was the enchanting pavilion overlooking the ocean. It's the heart of the place, the place where everybody gathers to relax. The architecture of the whole lodge was perfect, the right combination of location, great material (wood, stucco) and gardening. They had planted the right bushes and trees to attract birds. We sat at breakfast at were entertained by all sorts of hummingbirds and butterflies.

I'd go back to La Cusinga any time I'm in Costa Rica.

• Stayed November 2009
denver co
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2009

I have to begin by saying that the employees at La Cusinga are exceptional. They are friendly, helpful, willing, kind, patient and so much more. That being said, I was very disappointed with my stay at La Cusinga. I was traveling alone and had just come from Manuel Antonio where I paid $75 a night for a fabulous room and facilities at The Falls Resort. Given that La Cusinga was substantially more expensive, $110-135/night (although I was fortunate enough to have a bit of a discount), I was anticipating something step up from where i was thrilled to be staying in Manuel Antonio. Upon my arrival, I was kindly greeted and shown to my room. It was disappointing to say the least. It was a room for one person located below a larger facility for a family. The bathroom was uniquely designed but otherwise the room had a bit of a cave like feeling. It does have a small balcony with a sideways view of the ocean way off in the distance, far from a 'spectacular ocean view'. There was no ac and although there were windows with screens on 3 sides, given that there was a wall separating the bathroom, there was poor airflow and therefore was very warm. The bed was uncomfortable. There was a fan which you could point at the bed and this helped slightly. I made my reservation for dinner and was not at all disappointed with dinner. It was incredible. David does a fabulous job and the views are incredible. It is not an inexpensive option for dining but given that I did not have a car, there was no other option.

The lodge is somewhat remote and I certainly should have had a car. This likely would have changed my initial reaction to the lodge. Back to my arrival. I found out that there were only 3 guests for the first night of my stay. This is fine of course until you realize that none of us had a vehicle and that all of the staff leave shortly after dinner. There is path lighting but it is understandably dim so a flashlight is a must. Given both of these facts, I was a bit nervous about my night to come. What if something did happen? As they said....nothing will happen, it is very tranquil here. Understood. However, what if something were to happen. Who would I call for help? Where would I go? It was just a bit unnerving. I did find out the following day that there is staff housing on the grounds but given my unfamiliarity with the grounds my first night I would never have known that and lord knows how I would have found it in the dark had something been needed. I was also disappointed upon my arrival to find out that although they say on the internet that they have wireless available, they did not will I was there. It was not set up and although they tried a multitude of times to set it up we could not figure it out. They did however let me use the office computer a few times.

I had my car delivered 2 days early which eased my concerns about night time. The staff was very kind in helping me get my hammock hung the morning after my arrival and David, the chef, was kind enough to let me ride along on some of his errands so that I could get to the internet and see a bit of Uvita. THis was very much appreciated. He also informed me of a benefit going on in town the second night I was there which I attended. I struggled with the first day on how I could change my plans and only stay at La Cusinga 2 nights. After my car arrived I felt like it would be doable to stay but a number of things kept nagging at me. No internet although the internet said they had it. A beautiful spot for yoga but no scheduled classes although I read the internet to indicate they did have scheduled classes. No on site spa but they could schedule spa services on site for you if you like, however, the internet reads as though there is a spa on site. It all seemed a bit misleading. Given that I was there primarily to relax, do tons of yoga, and take in a few spa services, I was a bit disappointed. My travel agent did try to get yoga booked for me and was told that I could book privates for $20. Doable but certainly not the Idea I had in mind from the website.

All in all I think the employees are lovely and they certainly seem to like working there. The meals are set meals with a very limited time frame for eating. I was on vacation to relax and not to be on someone else's schedule. I contacted the travel agent I had booked through and asked her to try and get the last 2 nights of my stay refunded so that I could move. I had spend a few hours looking around for a place that was more of what I was looking for and everyone I had talked to could see how bad I felt about leaving but all of them said that most facilities in the area would want the guest to be happy and would likely refund the money. This did not prove to be the case with La Cusinga, my agent sent several emails and ended up accepting that they were not going to work with her. She ended up refunding a portion of my visit out of her own pocket as she felt horribly that she had recommended them.

I read a review on Trip advisor before I left that was not as favorable to La Cusinga. Not bashing but not favorable. There was rebuttal by someone, I would assume the owner, listed with the review. He refuted every comment the guest made. I would assume the same will be done with this one. But again, let me say the people are wonderful. The grounds are lovely and there are many hiking trails. It is, in my opinion, significantly overpriced. There are many things on the website which I felt were misleading. It is very remote in Uvita so unless you intend to take a tour most days and have someone picking you up, you should have a car. One other thing I should mention is that in my internal debate to stay the full 4 days, I asked if I could move to another room. It was larger and would have been somewhat better accomodations. They were happy to move me. I did move and then decided later the same day to leave the lodge. I do apologize to the staff for this on my part but I was much happier with my stay elsewhere.

Boy this was a lot of thinking in the short 2 days I was there.....thanks for reading.

Stayed November 2009, travelled solo
4 Thank FBVowner
GlobalTico, Manager at La Cusinga Eco Lodge, responded to this review, 15 December 2009
Hola, yes I do reply to most commends, so I will to the same here. I do understand your concern and your points.

The internet as we told you the Router got flooded and we got a new one, which is working... You and I tried to make it work, but we could not. I am not good with tech stuff.

The hotel security, all lights go out at 11 PM, the trail lights... the rooms have lights... We do run a business and we do have security at night, as we told you, and we stay at the hotel... only 4 of our staff do not live at the hotel. At the time of your visit we where in low season, as I explain to you, 3 people in the hotel… which they where very kind to you too, they had no problem with having a place to enjoy.

Regarding the refund, as you stated you asked us to change rooms, we did… and with no notice the same day you checked out. The reason was that you found some people at the dinner that where given you a better rate, at no time did you asked us for a refund or spoke about it. It was days later that we got a communication from you travel agent.

We did try to make you stay as pleasant as possible; I think it was more of your own situation and your state of expectations. I do appreciate your comments, I do believe that it is a harsh rating… as you stated we where kind, you had a great meal, you where upgraded to a bigger room… but as this is a free world… if you believe that our efforts, our staff, our time to take you around to see the town… we cannot be a place to please everyone. But again thank you for your feedback, we will make sure everyone gets a copy and we will talk about it in our meetings so we can see how we can improve what we can.

Have a Happy Holidays and a great 2010…
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2009

Superb place in every respect. Based on ecological and sustainability principles. Restaurant: 10 out of 10. Rita and Chef of the Jungle David are among the very best. Wonderful views of the Pacific.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2009

La Cusinga Lodge is truly a magical place set high above the Bahia Ballena on the Pacific coast of Costa Rica. There is incredible wildlife viewing opportunities, isolated beaches for bathing and walking, stunning views from the simple yet spacious cabinos. The fresh organic local food is excellent. The staff are warm, friendly, and super efficient.
Tours to the Osa Peninsula and surrounding areas are available and very reasonably priced. The yoga space is wonderful with a sweeping panorama of the Pacific. The lodge is set on a nature preserve- so peaceful and quiet . The level of service and comfort is very high.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends