I read some of the Trip Advisor reviews before staying here and as usual there were a couple 'terrible' and 'poor' reviews amongst many many more 'excellent'. I have to wonder whether these 'terrible' people are serious with the reasons for such bad reviews. Chateau Les Merles is an exquisite old Chateau 10km to the East of Bergerac set in some wonder grounds surrounded by acres of vineyards.
We stayed for 4 nights in October 13 and could not ask for anything more. The staff provide the correct amount of attentiveness, friendly, helpful, and make you feel perfectly relaxed. The food in the restaurant is exquisite as you would expect. The 'menu du jour' which was approximately 30 EUR was wonderful and matched the a la carte offerings in every way.
We tended to stick to the local 'Chateau Les Merles' wine which is a must (at least once) if you stay here, the red is fantastic.
We had room 12 which was upstairs. Yes it had creaky wooden floors which is what you'd expect for such an old building, however there was no bedroom below so I don't think it would bother anyone else. The exposed wooden beams gave a real feel to the building and the bed was superb. Easily enough space for a couple for a few nights and the bathroom was large, well finished and clean.
I can't comment on the 9 hole golf course because I don't play but it looked great set in the surrounding hills. We took our bicycles and had some great rides around the Dordogne valley.
It's so hard to pick fault, perhaps if I was staying there on business the need for a reliable wifi service would be important, as it happens the only place to really get a good signal was outside in the courtyard sipping a local wine - oh well, needs must!
Get an upstairs room if possible, the views are stunning.
Book directly with the hotel and not through all those middle men like booking.com and hotels.com
When you for
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the Dordogne, near Bordeaux, Saint-Emilion and Sarlat in the heart of Bergerac vineyards and forests on the hills of the Dordogne river, Château les Merles offers a gourmet restaurant, a boutique luxury hotel and a challenging 9-hole golf course with driving range and putting green, swimming pool, tennis court and wellness center. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Priceline, Odigeo, MrandMrsSmith, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U. and Evoline ltd so you can book your Chateau les Merles reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chateau Les Merles Mouleydier
- Chateau Les Merles France/Dordogne - Mouleydier