“Traumatic!”

Inter Hotel Le Boeuf Rouge
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Saint Junien
Reviewed 24 November 2012

My wife and l booked this hotel and asked for a comfortable quiet room, as we were still travelling, for a long distance, and would probably arrive late, between 9 and 10. We arrived dead on 10, so food was obviously done though we did ask. After being refused food, even though the dessert course was still being trotted out for some, we set about a route march from the car park to room, a cosy cupboard like affair, with a cosier salled'eau, and accessed via the labyrinth mentioned elsewhere! The aircon was hidden somewhere or non-existent, so windows were opened, and we showered and enjoyed the rest of our days picnic "au chambre". Retiring for the night we were awoken shortly after by traffic on night shift going round the island. Reluctantly we closed the window, and the room turned into the black hole of Calcutta. To get some air, without noise I got up to open the shower room window a little, leaving the door slightly ajar, only to be woken by a lorry delivering to the hotel running its food cooling unit.Perhaps the most unpleasant night spent in a hotel! In the early morning we decided to cut our losses and head for Oradour, but not after asking for a reduction for the awful accomodation, and constant sleep interruption. The disinterested receptionist shrugged her shoulders, the owner manager "was away", so at boiling point we reluctantly paid before the gendarmes were called, armed with telephone numbers for the main offices of the Inter chain, who we called from Oradour. We are still awaiting a response over a year later, despite further email traffic, and calls but really would offer advice to fellow travellers to avoid this place like the b plague. Have given it un point as I can't list a zero. Fitness 5 is due to the marathon endured with baggage. Atrocious.

Room Tip: Tip is to stay somewhere else and have an evening meal before you do.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Steve W

Reviewed 18 June 2012

We arrived as a group of ten bicyclists . The staff of the hotel were very helpful in making sure that our bikes were safely stored and that we got our rooms quickly . The room was clean and tidy . The location of the hotel was just fine .
The restaurant was good and the meals substantial . We'd ridden a long way and a meal of steak and chips was what I wanted . And a meal of steak and plenty of chips was what I got . The service was friendly and efficient .
Breakfasts were fine and enough to fuel a day's riding . I'd stay again if I were to pass through St Junien .

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 May 2012

Avoid this hotel restaurant.
Central location,next to the busy roundabout,lorries fly pas the windows.
The building as the charm of a tin of baked beans.No style,no charm and over priced.

Food,was poor.40 euros plus for steak and frites,tap water,one tart and two coffees...40 plus euros,a record.

Room Tip: go somewhere esle
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Katherine V
Reviewed 17 March 2012

I only came to be staying here as I had a business trip in the area. Otherwise I cannot imagine any good reason for coming to this town. Limoges is about 25 miles away, and seems to have all the facilities you might need, including a railway station a dentist and a shop that sells very sharp knives. I once read a book called down and out in Paris and London, and one line I remember, is that a restaurant can serve the worst meat imaginable, provided it has sharp knives. Well I am not as young as I once was, and in all my adult life, I have travelled extensively and eaten in many different places, never ever have I been served a steak, that was so tough and tasteless. I was lucky to still have all my teeth after this episode. Limousin is the heart of french beef production, and a hotel with Boeuf in its name, would be expected to provide a decent steak for dinner, but I am afraid that the confection that was served up, was horrendous, I am sure it was taken from the freezer directly to the grill. Indeed it was so tough and foul that I kept a small piece and sent it to the laborotories of the Michelin corporation in nearby Clermont Ferrand, so that they might study and duplicate its molecular composition, in order to produce tyres that lasted for 20 years.

Apart from that, the room, accessed via a spiral staircase, was perfectly OK, and had a roomy bathroom with a complicated shower that I could not fathom, although it has to be said that Frenchmen are strangers to soap and water, so this omission of a decent bathing facility is probably provided to appeal to native visitors, many of whom I saw and smelled at breakfast, sampling the weak gravy like coffee, certainly had not taken a shower recently.

I can not fault the room or the staff who were kind and friendly, just avoid eating here.

Room Tip: Rooms are very small, TV had a channel called XXL
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Earl_of_Doncaster
Reviewed 26 February 2012

We stayed here for two nights and the room was adequately sized, very clean with tea and coffee making facilities which is not standard in France.

The staff spoke good English and were very helpful despite out unusual arrival time. We did not eat in the restaurant but we did have a drink in the bar which was lovely.

Would recommend staying here if you are visiting St Junien.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ChrisandCristina
Reviewed 11 June 2011

Thank you to all the staff... you were really helpful and made our stay a pleasure.
Lovely hotel. Great stay... We will be back!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Belina_11
Reviewed 22 July 2010

Stayed here for 1 night and glas it wasn't any longer. We were allocated room 101 which is the smallest room we have ever stayed in. We couldn't pass each other without one of us having to sit on the bed. The room was clean but that is the only plus mark it gets!
It didn't even have air conditioning.
We ate in the hotel restaurant and ordered steak. It was totally tasteless, came with fries and no veg. Overpriced as well. Because of this, we didn't eat breakfast there, but found a nice bakers nearby where we had hot coffee and pain au chocolate - excellent.
Wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Citotel Les Alizes
Citotel Les Alizes
#26 of 45 in Limoges
Best Western Plus Hotel Richelieu

Been to Inter Hotel Le Boeuf Rouge? Share your experiences!