“Brilliant after a few days walking.”

Les Bains du Couloubret
Reviewed 9 August 2014

If you can speak French you'll do better in Ax Les Thermes as it is for for French family Tourists than international, which made it better for me. The baths are outstanding, better than any I used in the UK, though the water was more swimming pool like than some I've used. I would recommend taking your own towel, They may hire them but I didn't get there with my French and the lack of English; you could buy one but it wasn't cheap! I paid 16 Euros for 2 hours, (you can stay in longer charged per 20 minutes, or pay for 5 hours), I felt this was good value for the facilities. I went in when they 1st opened (10am); as I was leaving it was getting busy so would recommend you do the same. Some of my group couldn't go in the afternoon, or complained it was crowded. They are limited to 250 people and, with the number of pools etc. I would expect it would not get to standing room only like I have in some in the UK - not a good experience. Overall, if you are staying in the area for walking/sking etc. plan a visit to the baths, you won't be disappointed.

3  Thank RDJWilson
in 6 reviews
in 4 reviews
in 22 reviews

Reviewed 19 June 2014

We've been here several times, as a couple, with friends, and with parents. Every time has been really good. As other reviewers have said it can get busy - when we went on Christmas Eve the place was full, by the time we left people were queuing waiting for others to leave before they could get in. On our most recent visit, mid week in May,we virtually had the place to ourselves.

Two hours is plenty, there are all sorts of massage jets in a variety of pools. Going outside when there's snow on the ground is great. Having the hot and cold rooms is really good for reviving tired ski legs.

Looking forward to July when we will be going back.

1  Thank KTnSue
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We have been here numerous times (especially after a hard days skiing). Admission times are fixed and for 2 hours - however that is plenty of time to soak away any aches. Lots of different jets and pools to choose from. Nice to go outside (summer or winter). Children are not allowed upstairs, which is nice. There is enough room for them downstairs.
The very hot pool and very cold pool a must. plenty of showers, free lockers and changing area clean and tidy. Plenty of hair dryers and mirrors to make yourself presentable a the end of your session. Only thing missing is a cafe where you can rehydrate after (although plenty in ax to choose from). Remember to remove any silver jewellery as it will tarnish. The staff are usually pretty good and warn you before getting in the water. I haven't had a massage here yet, although one day will make the time. Will definitely be returning.

4  Thank melissa990
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Refurbished and re-opened in 2010 this spa baths is brilliant. Many different types of massage jets, and every kind of pool you would expect to find, you can easily use the 2 hours you pay for.

Worth every penny.

1  Thank KtMehers
See more reviews
Reviewed 3 August 2013

I visited twice during a weeks stay in Ax while on a walking holiday. Unfortunately we left it too late to get a massage at the times we wanted but soon found that the different jets and things in the baths themselves provided a great tonic for tired and aching bodies. Having been to similar thermal baths in Germany, I found these onces much more interesting, fun and modern. I wouldnt go in the hot sulphur smelling room again, and couldn't bear to totally plunge into the cold pool, but having the indoor and out door pools, and the saunas etc was great. Spent the full two hours there on both occasions.

As an aside, we were told men could only wear spedo style swim suits, but this turns out to be not correct - their swimmers just need to be above their knees (although there did still seem to be differing views from the staff on this.....).

2  Thank AussieBijoux