“Poorly run hotel”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Bethune
Southport, United Kingdom
“Poorly run hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

Bed was comfortable and clean but that's about it.

Problems
1. No-one on reception desk for booking in or out. Had to rely on bar staff who were willing but not trained.
2. Price given via booking.com for room was 57 Euros. We were charged 62 Euros
3. Advertised free parking but advised to use underground car park which was not free and in any case height restrictions meant we could not have used it.
4. One set of towels only despite booking the room for two people.
5. No plug in the sink
6. Central light not working.
7. Went to reception to complain. No-one there!!

Room Tip: Use another hotel!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gwyn E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Turkish first
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

we were so disappointed with our stay. I booked through booking.com and was told a price of 57euros, we had breakfast which is 7.50euros but I was charged 80euros on leaving. The member of staff, a barman I think, couldn't rectify this. I would like some of my money back!!

We only had 1 towel in the room and couldn't get hold of anyone so we had to share it and 1 tiny plastic cup, no tea or coffee facilities. I was dying of thirst! No hot water for the shower, but the room itself was boiling...the windows couldn't be opened due to the music in the square...although I will say that didn't stop us sleeping and the bed was reasonably comfortable.

Breakfast, we had to wander around for until we found it, although basic was actually quite nice, it ticked the boxes for what I wanted to eat. Although again, there was no water, just juice. There also wasn't any milk for the cereals. The waiter was friendly though and got us coffees and made sure we had everything we needed.

It is a shame that so much lets this place down...because it could be lovely. Hot showers, towels, teas and coffees in the room, and water glasses would make a huge difference - they were the basic things that were missing though which then made the stay uncomfortable...and to then be over charged when I only had half the facilities makes me even more disappointed.

I have emailed around, I want it rectified. We plan to come to Bethune every year - and if this place makes changes, it could lovely.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HollieSimmonds

Travellers are raving about these Bethune hotels

Rochester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

This Hotel is unique for service.(Or lack of it)There was none.We managed to get our room key from a chap who was working on the door.The reception was unmanned for the duration of our stay.There was no free hotel car parking on site(one of the reasons why we booked this hotel) we had to use the underground Q-Park and pay by the hour.No free wifi because there was no one to ask for login details.Room had no air conditioning.Housekeeping was very poor,dust on bed headboard,dust on skirting board and carpet appeared not to be vacuumed for a few visits(debris on carpet from previous occupants)There was however a vacuum cleaner in the hallway so I suppose we could have cleaned the carpet ourselves.No final bill,Yes you guessed it nobody on reception! I don't feel comfortable giving a poor review,but I am being honest.

Room Tip: If you do stay here get a room away from the main square as it is very noisy until the early hours o...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
San Luis Potosi, Mexico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

I ve been staying for 3 days for business.
After a previous visit I asked for a bigger room , kindly they gave me one ; experience:

1- was not possible to watch the tv because the battery of the remote control (I told them and I m still waiting).
2- on the third day the room stopped to be cleaned ( I understood it for the bed and the towels , the rest was dirty like the first day ) and I m still waiting .
3- was raining water in the toilet from the top plant , I told to them , I m still drying the floor on my own.
4-the complete hotel is work in progress , minimum they have to kindly advise the clients about the inconvenience.
5-like always is quite difficult to find someone speaking English in the reception.

good things .

1- the position , located in the centre of Bethune with a nice Irish pub nearby.

2-the restaurant .

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank domenico n
Folkestone, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2013

We arrived in the evening after a long drive, waited 15 minutes for someone to come to the reception and then it was only a barman. He warned us that the lift was out of order and we would have to walk up 3 flights. There was nowhere to park nearby so we had to walk with our suitcase and then the 3 floors turned out to be 4 floors. No one seemed willing to help my 74 year old husband with the suitcase. On the way up, it was like a building site, no stair carpet and the first 3 floors all in process of refurbishment. We discovered there was no hot water in our room so went down for dinner and to complain. The barmaid said she had advised 'le patron' and he would be check. He never came and when I spotted him, pretended that no one had mentioned it to him. Eventually, he agreed to give us a new room. He assured us that they would pack everything up and take the luggage up in 30 minutes. When he told us to go to the room half an hour later we had to walk up 5 floors only to find that nothing had been moved and we had to do it ourselves. Our dinner was dreadful, inedible. Needless to say le Patron was nowhere to be seen in the morning. I offered them 50 euros for their 70 euro room and no more and frankly they were very lucky to get that. Beware anyone looking for accommodation in Bethune, don't stay here!

Room Tip: Don't do it!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marilyn P
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

We stayed here for the Rallye de Jonquilles which started in the square the next morning, so for location this was perfect. Bit odd though that the first few floors are all closed up, with only the top floors actually open for use.
Those rooms that are in use are good though, clean, tidy, with great views of the clock tower in the square. Food was good, as was the beer!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bethune
Tour Hotel du Golf
Tour Hotel du Golf
#1 of 2 in Bethune
Campanile Bethune - Fouquieres Les Bethune
Campanile Bethune - Fouquieres L...
#1 of 4 in Fouquieres-les-Bethune
Hotel La Maison Rouge
Hotel La Maison Rouge
#1 of 1 in Noeux-les-Mines
BEST WESTERN La Metairie
La Chartreuse du Val Saint Esprit
Premiere Classe Bethune - Fouquieres Les Bethune
Premiere Classe Bethune - Fouqui...
#4 of 4 in Fouquieres-les-Bethune

Been to Le Vieux Beffroi? Share your experiences!