“A view with average food and service”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Mado

Mado
Ranked #12 of 31 Restaurants in Le Crotoy
Cuisines: French, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, View, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Oxford, United Kingdom
“A view with average food and service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

We were lucky to be sat upstairs where the view was simply out of this world. However the welcome was cold. My boyfriend and I were wearing jeans and big jumpers after a walk on the beach. Maybe we were not considered well dressed enough??? Everyone was served with salty biscuits with their aperitif but we were not. Is it the fact that only my boyfriend ordered a drink? I was drinking water as I am pregnant and was obviously therefore not worthy of the salty biscuits. The waitress was rather cold and commented on the fact that I didn't finish my starter, a huge plate of smoked salmon. We both had the salmon for starters but like I said the portion was far too big. I then had the sole meuniere. Again 2 was too much for me. My boyfriend had an expensive cut of beef that he thought was too chewy. The desert, however was lovely. The price was unfortunately not matching the quality of our meal. We were slightly disappointed.

• Visited May 2013
3 Thank Noemie B

Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Divided opinions”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2013

We have eaten Chez Mado several times, but our views are increasingly divided. I have usually enjoyed the food and the atmosphere, but my partner (a discerning customer) has increasingly felt that the food was dull and overall rather dear. I have to concede that there is a bit of a sense that the house is resting on its (past) laurels and that both service and cuisine can be a bit flat. I love the views over the bay (if you get the right table) and the comfortable bourgeois atmosphere and style but for us Chez Mado is, sadly, no longer a top tip.

Visited December 2012
3 Thank Xerxes1_9
Brussels
“Any value here ?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2012 via mobile

Indeed it's a big place and the atmosphere is like it should have been in the 80's but we went there not by choice (reputated places we full around). As noticed by our French regional guide book, you should avoid an a la carte choice because it's just overpriced. The basic menu sound attractive but it's indeed only followIng basic courses and I assume that pretty much none are homemade (6 courses, 26€...).

Well overall it value the price bit it's simply pretentious. Please offer 3 nice home made stuff for the same place !

1 Thank alexdiver
Banbury
“Never fails.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2012

I have visited this Restaurant many times over the years. At least 20 yrs. ago, one could book a room over the Restaurant.
Le Crotoy has changed from a somewhat sleepy little Somme retreat to a busy W/E attraction due to close Motorway access but this Restaurant's standards are still high even though Madame Mado has since passed on.
The 'Fruit de Mer' is a giant and takes 3 hrs. (for two) to consume with many 'bib' changes. If you order the 'Gastronomique' you will not be disappointed, it is very special.

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank Terence W
Ghent, Belgium
“Decent fish and other sea food, but rather pricy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2012

We enjoyed a plat de fruits de mer and a rich fish menu called "Le préféré de Michou". Although the quality of the ingredients seemed ok, the excessive use of cream made us worry that something had to be hidden. The bottle of 'standard' Entre-Dexu-Mers went down very well, and the view of the bay was a nice extra. Quality-price ratio could be better.

Visited July 2012