“The greatest visit”

Herrenchiemsee Palace Rail Trip from Munich
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

Really one of my greatest palace. To be honest this place wasn't in our plan at all, but while I'm in the road to salzburg I saw the lake then I decided to get close and visit the island. The palace built during 7 years and cost about $ 250m and only 20 rooms are furnished. The original marbles everywhere, and gold as well. Great palace

1  Thank Raouf81

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Just a one hour drive out of München is this magnificent Palace built by Ludwig II on the Island Herreninsel, which is in lake Chiemsee.
We drove to a place called Prien am Chiemsee, there we parked our car at a cost of only 3,50 euros for the whole day and walked to the dock only a couple of hundred meters away. Here you can purchase tickets for the Ferry service that works the Lake. I paid 22euros for myself and 3 kids under the age of 14, that included the boat to Herreninsel, Fraueninsel, Gstadt and return.

After a 10-15 minute cruise on Chiemsee we arrived at Herreninsel, once from board we purchased our entrance tickets to the Palace and Museum, my ticket cost 8euros, children under 18 are free.
We arrived on the Island early in the morning so it was still very fresh and decided to walk the distance from the dock to the palace, it`s an easy walk, nothing to strenuous, for people with mobility problems or maybe small children, you will find on the dock, horse drawn carriages that charge 3,50 for adults a 1 euro for kids.
When you clear the little forrest you have a beautiful view of the Palace and the amazing water fountains, do not be dissappointed if there not working when you arrive, everything is timed so once the crowd gathers, they are turned on and run for about 15 minute every hour or so.
The only way inside the Palace is with a guided tour that takes about 30 minutes and is included in the initial entrance fee.
The Palace itself is amazing and the Versaille rooms are my favorite but the Staircase and Kings rooms are beautiful as well but the high point of the tour for me and alot of others present was the Hall of Mirrors, incredible. Photo's inside the Palace are a NO but you can for a very reasonable price purchase a Postcard Booklet with great shots of all the rooms for only 2,50 in the souvenir shop.

We did not eat on the Island so no feedback there, sorry. I will say this though, a lot of people brought picnic baskets with them and I was kind of jealous... a picnic on the gardens of the Palace...great idea, maybe next time.
There is a restaurant on the Island and snacks are also available but we decided to take the ferry boat on to the next Island which is the Fraueninsel, here you have a choice of at least 8 restaurants, so I guess there is something for everyone and after lunch I Iay down under a big old tree and watched the kids swimming in the lake.

5  Thank Jem357
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Having visited Ludwig II's castles, as well as Versailles, I was aware that this was a small sample of both sorts of extravagance. Providing you accept you won't see anything quite on the same scale as those you will enjoy the visit for what it is. The trip across the Chiemsee on the boat is OK, but nothing really special, and the initial part of the walk to the palace is not that impressive. You are given a timed visit when you buy your ticket - in my case there wasn't much time to linger on the 15 minute walk to the palace. Its only when you catch sight of the palace and the fountains that you start to think the visit will be memorable. The fountains seem to be in use far more than at Versailles, and highlight the approach to the palace well.
The English guide was excellent, but he was followed around by a security heavy to make sure none of the group attempted to take a sneaky picture in case that reduced their chances of selling souvenir guides. The guide added colour to the impressive rooms, as well as the story of the unfinished part of the palace - which was quite an eye-opener too.

1  Thank WhiteAnt2008
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We had an excellent time at this place even though the weather was not the best. It was about 45 degrees windy and raining on an off. The parking was not a problem (saturday afternoon) the weather helped with that I am sure there were still quite a few people there. A great boat trip out to the island 3 or 4 euros each and 15 minutes later we were at the dock. You purchase your tickets to the palace on the island and after a 15 to 20 minute walk you are at the palace which is quite spectacular viewable with a guided tour only (in english if you time it right) and the tour was excellent and very informative. The rooms are that are done are lavish but no pictures are permitted. One point of note is that when we were there some parents just let their children run rampant all over so if kids are not your thing I would get here early in the morning.

1  Thank publiussulla
Reviewed 14 May 2014

A beautiful palace and grounds. Of course we have another unfinished palace that Ludwig II was building and ran out of money. The rooms toured are extravagant. The bathtub that you cross over on the tour is as big as a small swimming pool. I enjoyed the unfinished part of the palace with exposed brick and unfinished staircase.
It was a nice spring day to walk the grounds. The art gallery at the monastery was delightful. We also took the boat over to Frauenchiemsee.