My husband and I spent our honeymoon in Crete and Athens, and we stayed at Nymphes for most of our time in Crete. We absolutely loved the place and would definitely stay at Nymphes again. The place was beautiful and serene, the owner gracious and helpful, and we really got to experience Crete staying there - it wasn't like staying at resorts that would be the same wherever you were.
I can't say enough about how beautiful the place was. The apartments are built into a cliff high above the beach at Agia Pelagia, and we had a beautiful panoramic view of the Mediterranean from our balcony. (All the apartments face the Mediterranean and would, i imagine, have similarly awesome views!) There are olive groves all around, and grapevines and flowers growing over the trellises that shade outdoor tables near the pool. The location is high above the town, so it is serene, quiet and romantic - we could hear goats bleating on the mountain nearby in the evening sometimes.
The woman who owns the place was a gracious but unobtrusive hostess. We arrived at Nymphes by car, after having driven up the steep, twisting road that leads up to it. We were a little confused about where we should park to check in at first, but no worries - the owner heard our car and came outside to wave us into the small parking lot above the pool. She offered to help with arranging any tours we might want to take and explained that we could order breakfast in our room by just letting her know the night ahead of time that we'd want breakfast. (There was a small charge for breakfast.) We did order breakfast one morning, and it was tasty, hot and delivered right at the time we'd requested. We had a delicious omelette with fruit, coffee, and juice.
There was a bottle of local wine awaiting us in our room, which was small but very clean and comfortable, furnished with a desk, bed and kitchenette, as well as a table and chairs out on the balcony. The bed had the typically thin mattress you find in hotels in Crete, but we found it comfortable. The bathroom was small, but again, typical for Crete. Free wireless internet access is one nice little amenity at the hotel.
Another "amenity" to the place for us was the cats, as we missed our cats while we were gone. Free roaming cats are pretty common all over Greece and Crete was no exception. We kind of adopted a trio of cats while we were there, as they were so friendly and sweet. We sealed our lovely relationship by bringing the cats leftover fish from our dinner one night. :-)
What to do while staying at Nympes? It's a good jumping off point for exploring Crete. My husband and I spent one afternoon lounging at the pool at Nymphes, and enjoyed getting up and seeing the sunrise from our balconies some mornings, but otherwise, Nymphes was our lovely retreat at the end of our daily explorations of Crete. We drove to see the law tablets at Gortyn one day, to the beach at Agia Pelagia one morning, to Rethymno one evening, etc.
That said, if you want to be right in the middle of town, and walking distance from anything, this isn't the place for you - it is pretty secluded up in the mountains. That's part of what we enjoyed about it! But it is a very short car ride down the hill to Agia Pelagia and to the road that runs along the northern coast of Crete.
If you're the resort type and not into doing your own explorations on Crete, this probably isn't the place for you, either - it's quiet and private, without planned activities or any of that foolishness. My husband had originally booked a stay at a large, expensive resort - we thought we'd splurge for our honeymoon. But Nymphes, which cost a fraction of the resort's price, seemed more luxurious to us. At the resort, the food was terrible (which is unforgivable given how great and cheap local food is), the rooms were uncomfortable (our king-sized bed was actually two twin beds put next to each other - how romantic!), and it was not a good way to experience Crete. On our first night at the resort, we got on the internet and found Nymphes, and we left the resort and checked into Nymphes the next morning. Best decision ever! We really loved Nymphes and have many fond memories of our stay there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In 5000m2 area of natural beauty, 20km. from Heraklion, upon the hill, lies the complex of 10 luxury family apartments, all facing the Sea, with swimming pool, Internet and Wi-Fi free, AC, fully equipped kitchen, bathrobes, slippers, swimming pool towels, satellite TV, sport channels, direct dial phone, safe deposit box. Fresh fruits and a bottle of Cretan wine, bottled water, bath supplies and flowers upon arrival, CD and DVD, PC, FAX, printer upon request free ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Bookgreece.com, LoveHolidays, Priceline, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Nymphes Luxury Apartments reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Nymphes Luxury Apartments Hotel Agia Pelagia
- Nymphes Luxury Apartments Agia Pelagia
- Nymphes Luxury Apartments Crete/Agia Pelagia