All reviews beach bar beach towels swimming platform mountain view restaurants and shops change of scenery minute walk main pool other guests salt water beer and wine clean rooms breakfast and dinner nice hotel all inclusive package air conditioning evening entertainment
Reviewed 15 September 2017 via mobile

Our view is very similar to the reviewer below - antonbe. However we had adjusted expectations in advance, so we have a slightly higher evaluation. Nonetheless, the details given below are accurate.
Traveling in mid-Sept with smaller number of guests also added to a pleasant time.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 September 2017

This hotel in conjunction with booking.com decided to cancel our reservation
15 minutes before our arrival on the date of the reservation. This is after making the reservation two months ahead of time and paying for 3 nights in full (620 Euros).

They (booking.com and the Peninsula) took our money and failed to find an adequate replacement. We wound-up in a second class economy jetholiday kiddie resort.

I will never trust or use booking.com ever again !

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
5  Thank lobsterking06
Reviewed 31 August 2017 via mobile

Let me start with the positives; the views from the hotel and our room were fantastic. Unfortunately that's where the positives ended for us. This is at best a low end 4 star hotel but closer to a 3 star. We paid for the all inclusive service which I have to say is one of the worst I've experienced. The bars were time restricted and the drinks on offer for the all inclusive were watered down and mixed with cordial, if you wanted fresh juice you had to pay. Most of the bars only had 1-2 staff at most so there were always queues, the food on offer was bland and generally cold by the time you got it to your table and as a result we ate out for dinner every night of our stay after the first night and to be fair their are a few great restaurants in Agia Pelagia. Our room was pitched as a 2 bedroom bungalow with a sea view. I've been in bigger stuff single occupancy rooms than what we had, the bathroom was tiny, the beds were rock hard and there was no wifi available. The only saving grace was the patio which had amazing views and was great for relaxation get during the day until you were interrupted by a group of guests who gathered to play bowls in the gravel pits beside our room, they were brought there every afternoon by a hotel rep who didn't even have the decency to ask if we minded or that they would keep the noise down. On the penultimate day I went to reception to settle the bill and brought up a few of the issues to the staff and I ended up with two managers arguing with me and insisting that not serving fresh orange juice was the norm at 4 star hotels in Greece. They also said I should've booked a 5 star hotel if I wanted better service and if I had of brought our issues to their attention earlier in the week they would've transferred us to another hotel, yeah right! So if you complaint expect a torrent of excuses. The final insult was when I came the pay the machine had the option of paying in pounds instead or euros and I asked if I could use the pound option but they insisted on me paying in euros as if I paid on pounds the hotel would get charged an exchange fee. I think that sums up this hotel, bad service, cheap, poor value and very bad at taking on feedback. Needless to say we will not be returning to this hotel.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
7  Thank Hannmeister
PeninsulaResortCrete, Guest Relations Manager at Peninsula Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2017

Dear Traveler,

We regret that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

Firstly, we would like to state that the All-Inclusive drinks on offer have been sourced locally and are not watered down, nevertheless, we will take your feedback into consideration. The opening hours of each bar are reasonable and are stated on our website: http://www.peninsula.gr/all-inclusive/food-beverage-services.htm.

With regards to the food, live-cooking takes place daily, where food is prepared on the spot, most other dishes are kept in bain-marie containers (for a maximum of 45mins) -
these are largely used in the industry to keep food warm - only the salads and certain appetisers are cold.

Concerning the issue with the room Wi-Fi and the discussion before your departure, our staff was merely trying to tell you that if you had expressed your dissatisfaction earlier on, we could have relocated you to a room with Wi-Fi as well as changed your stay from All-Inclusive to Half-Board, seeing as you were eating out anyway.

As for the payment in Euros, Greece is a Eurozone country, which means that the currency used and accepted by businesses here is Euros.

It is truly unfortunate that you were so unhappy with our hotel. We hope that at least you enjoyed other aspects of your holiday.

Kind Regards,

Maria-Christina
Guest Relations Team

Reviewed 31 August 2017

I stayed in this hotel during the summer for 10 days. The hotel is well maintained and everything is really clean. Staff in the hotel is very friendly. Beautiful sea view. However, the resort has some downsides.

Room
The room was fine but very basic and a bit outdated. Some rooms are (being) renovated though. Mattresses were very hard and took some time to get used to. Room was cleaned well every day. Room included a fridge, kettle, and air-conditioning. Room was not reachable by an elevator.

The hotel has one big restaurant situated next to the main pool. The restaurant serves a buffet 3 times a day (breakfast, lunch, dinner). The buffet offered mostly the same dishes every day, with some little variety. If you don't like (Greek) cheese, you will have a hard time finding something you like. The food is not of very high quality. Most of it is simple and lacks taste. However, I liked the fresh fruits (melon) and the salad offered. Breakfast ends at 10:00 (late breakfast is available upon request), lunch starts at 12:30 and dinner around 19:00. During the day, small snacks are available at the pool bar, nothing special here and again little variety. I can recommend eating at restaurant Yamas, nearby the hotel.

Almost all-inclusive
Unfortunately, not everything is all-inclusive. They ask extra charges for basic amenities such as towels (for swimming-pool/beach), safe in the room and Wi-Fi in the room. Moreover, good coffee, fresh orange juice etc. cost extra money as well. Drinks are only all-inclusive until 23:00. At the hotel's beach, you have to pay for beds and sun shades. More extra charges if you want anything from the beach bar.

The French Connection
The hotel has a contract with French travel agency 'Club Heliades', hence most guests are French. The animation team run by Heliades speaks French only and very little English, which can be a downside if you have kids and are not from France. The animation team is very loud which can be a bit overwhelming. Avoid the main pool to conquer this. Moreover, we learned that French guests booked with Club Heliades do get all-inclusive service: free beds/sunshades, good coffee, drinks after 23:00. This seems a bit unfair, as the prices are more or less the same as the travel agency we booked with. This hotel is better off without Club Heliades or they should make the resort Club Heliades only.

Location
The hotel is situated on the edge of a hill with beautiful sea view. Several (stone) beaches are nearby. The village Agia Pelagia is a 15-20 minute walk (up and down hill) and offers some restaurants and mini markets. There is not much to do in the neighborhood. I can recommend taking a trip to Iraklion (bus leaves in front the hotel couple of times a day).

In short, it’s a fine hotel but improvements are needed for their buffet and all-inclusive package. The animation team should be less loud and boisterous. Good to know: the hotel has lots of stairs as it is situated on a hill. I cannot recommend this hotel for infirm persons or individuals with wheelchairs. Not all rooms can be reached by an elevator.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
4  Thank antonbe
Reviewed 26 August 2017 via mobile

We stayed at Peninsula Resort for 5 days.  It was an unforgettable vacation experience. We enjoyed every single bit of our time at the hotel.  The dishes were delicious with plenty of choices and the view absolutely stunning. Moreover there are plenty of restaurants and shops near the hotel, should someone be interested in a change of scenery.
Thank you so much!!!