“A flawed paradise?”

Ranked #13 of 50 Hotels in Imerovigli
Pulborough, United Kingdom
“A flawed paradise?”
Reviewed 3 October 2013

I can only echo many of the other comments about the fact that the hotel gets many things right but then let's itself down by some details, all of which are in its grasp to correct. The location is superb, the hotel is kept spotlessly clean, the food is delicious and the staff are all very friendly and helpful - but! Anything that is not within the standard package is expensive and the room facilities are on the basic side for a hotel with ambitions to rate itself highly. The comments of others on Media systems/Wi-Fi/bathrooms and room furniture are spot on. To be fair, the room was a good size (we had a Senior Suite) the bed was large and very comfortable and it was wonderful to just walk out of our room onto the terrace and have the sunbeds right there, with nobody trying to "reserve" them in advance. Whether it was a change in policy, recognition that the restaurant had been virtually empty for several nights or the end of the season I cannot guess, but a new menu was introduced on our final night and this seemed more reasonable whilst still offering excellent food.

Just to return to the positives for a moment, the location is unique. You arrive and there is this small courtyard in front of an equally small building as you leave the road. However, you then go into reception and through a tunnel to the main hotel. This is perched high up on the rim of the caldera and the views are just out of this world. You can see right across the remains of what was a large island until it blew up about 3500 years ago. The boats, ferries and cruise liners criss-cross the sea in front of you and throughout our week in late September there was hardly a cloud in the sky. Only weather issue was the wind that could get a bit nippy at times. The only other buildings around you are the small apartment hotel next door and this was only an issue when they had a wedding on one afternoon/evening.A few jets cross each day, but this is no Heathrow!

In general, Santorini is not cheap but it is a very interesting and spectacular place to visit. There is a wide choice of restaurants in the main towns and we found some really good ones that were more reasonably priced as well as some cheaper ones that were very welcoming and offered more than adequate food (there is one - the only one for miles - a few hundred yards up the hill from San Antonio). If the strategy to resolve the problems of the Greek economy is to charge as much as possible then you need to offer something exceptional. The island is exceptional, as witnessed by the numbers of tourists, but I must remain sceptical whether the food and drink pricing levels of San Antonio can sustain it in the future.

Room Tip: All rooms have a Caldera view but there were tales of mosquitoes in the rooms at lower levels down t...
2 Thank sjs1205

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Just returned from the San Antonio suites and I'm agonizing over whether it's Excellent or Very Good. Its a bit like St Peter letting you through the pearly gates and then picking fault with the clouds, because heaven should have the highest standards.

Lets start with the things that make this hotel truly outstanding.
1. The view - I can't think of many places to go in the world that has such a fantastic position. It's worth staying in all day just for the panorama.
2. The hotel looks fantastic and is spotless. I really mean it. Its white and you can't find any marks. We saw staff with paint pots keeping it in pristine state.
3. The food is great. Breakfast covers all tastes, and we eat in the restaurant every evening except for one room service day. The Lamb & Beef dishes were fantastic.
4. Staff are on hand all the time to look after your needs. Having said that on day 3 the white uniforms and surroundings were starting to get to me, and I felt I was featuring in my own version of "one flew over the cuckoos nest"!

So why the angst?

Well if the cheapest room is around 300 euros a day for B&B, and the meals come to 100 euros with a single glass of wine you become picky, and here's what you need to know..
1. The cost of drinks is extortionate. The info in the rooms says "Please do not bring your own beverages or food in the premises, our restaurants & Bar can satisfy most of your needs". Well with ALL cocktails selling at 13euros, small beers for 5 to 7 euros and the cheapest bottles of wine around 30 euros they do not cater to all our needs. I think there's room for cocktails, or bottle of wine "of the day" selling at about 60% of these prices. Anyway it meant that heaven stayed relatively sober!
2. Room equipment. We can only speak for room 11 but the hotels web site says it has..
- DVD player ; I had to request it. They came and balanced a small player on the radio
- CD player; presumably on request as well, because the only facility to play music was a radio that accepted an SD card and had no aux input jack.
- WI-FI; Not in the room it wasn't. In fact if you hung around reception you sometimes got a connection, but this frequently dropped out.
- In room 11 There were no drawers! even the bedside tables had no drawer/alcove. With the wardrobe shelf half taken up by the safe we left half our clothes in the suitcases.
3. Noise from the kitchens. Not a major issue, but room 11 suffers from low level rumbles from kitchen pumps and equipment through the night, and the occasional out of tune chef.
4. Communal facilities; The only communal area is the restaurant/terrace ie. no separate bar or lounge. Luckily we had good weather; and I suppose the weather in heaven is always good, but if we'd hit a day of rain this would have been an issue. They could also do with 2 or 4 more beds around the pool. We stayed in all day, but in the hour it took them to serve us a lunch, 20 metres away, our possessions were removed from the sun beds of our choice by the bar staff, because another resident had requested the "unused" beds.
5. Although resident we had to book the restaurant every day. Those who didn't faced an uncertain dinner.
6 The Thomas Cook site says that the minimum age is 13 years. I spent my last breakfast next to a 5 year old French boy feeding a cat - If I'd wanted that I'd have booked a Gite!

So I think, whilst this is heaven, I'm still going to have to mark this down to "Very Good" or I wouldn't be worthy of my Trip Advisor badges. Would I go again - like a shot!

Room Tip: Rooms with drawers do exist! - avoid room 11
4 Thank PeaceFoodandaSnorkel
Reviewed 26 September 2013

The hotels biggest advantages are:
It is not overcrowded and overlooked by other hotels/passers by- it is secluded in an ideal location ( between oia & Fira). Visited other top hotels in Iimerovigli ( Kapari, Above blue suites & Grace) and all hotels had minimal privacy- ie one could literally look into the rooms& pool areas) San Antonio gives you a different sense of privacy altogether- you will never get passers by looking in-
The 2nd positive point is that you don't have to go up& down a zillion steps to get to or out of your hotel- most hotels mentioned before and around the Fira/oia/Imerovigli area ( not sure bout other locations) are all difficult to get to- not for the faint hearted! I'm 29 and I could barely walk up the steps after lunch at Grace & dinner @ Kapari-San Antonio is easy to get to and very comfortable to walk around in- Don't know bout the rest of you but If I'm on holiday I don't like facing steps every morning & after a bottle of wine :)
Breakfast : divine - those tables@ the edge are priceless-
Staff: totally helpful! Tania comes to mind - although all were very obliging.
10/10!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank JulienneMalta
London
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We went here for our one year anniversary and really had a great time.

Plus
Service - all staff are extremely friendly and helpful. Great service all around.
Food - the hotel actually has a great restaurant that's well worth staying in one night. Breakfast is good as well.
View - this place is all about the view. From the entrance through the reception you are stunned by the fantastic view of the caldera. From some of the rooms on the left you also can see the sunset, but note that is a limited number of rooms. Oia is a great place to go fort hat.
Peace and quiet - San Antonio is about 4km from Oia and Thira making very quiet and great to relax.

What could be better
Beds - the beds and pillows were okay but not the most comfortable. For this level I would have expected more.
Showers - our room (honeymoon suite) did not have the shower and the master suite which we had also been offered did only have a hand shower. Personally, I would have expected a proper shower.
Internet is slow - for anyone going here relying on the internet to work, please note that the connection can be a bit sketchy and very slow. We were told that that is why it is free.

General tips
Take binoculars to make more of the view
Go to Oia tow at cut he sunset and eat fresh fish in the little harbour below (we went to sunset which was excellent)

Reviewed 16 September 2013 via mobile

I am soooo glad that my fiancé and I got the chance to spend the night here! We stayed in the master suite and it was beyond amazing! The layout was so perfect and there was an indoor and outdoor jacuzzi :-) the restaurant was to die for! We had a 3 course meal with a local bottle of red and it was delicious! The breakfast was also amazing with so much to choose from and it was all fresh as well! We will definitely be back here! Well worth the money!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Simone M
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 9 September 2013

after researching every hotel on Santorini, it was well worth paying extra to stay here!!! arriving at this serene, peaceful place, the hotel is stunning! the resception area is beautiful, being carved through the mountain!...one of the only hotels to do this on the island!...the rooms are beautiful and private! and we were also given an upgrade!(even in peak season in august!!) which was a great start to our holiday after a 30 hour flight from Australia!! the room are massive!!! and we deck chairs and juccuzzi looking out to the ocean!! the restaurant is AMAZING!...great fresh breakfast!! and greek desserts!! and lunch was healthy and great choice as well! this staff were lovely- their personality aren't over the top friendly!..so once you except that! there great to have a joke with! ;D
Am loyal to the Small Luxury Hotels! and this one is definatly once of the best we have stayed at!!!
WOULD STAY HERE AGAIN IN A HEART BEAT!...THANKYOU SAN ANTONIO!!

Room Tip: worth paying more for private deck with jucuzzi! we had the master suite!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thessaloniki, Greece
Reviewed 5 September 2013

What can one say of this location?? I mean ok the entire Caldera of Santorini is paradise on earth but San Antonio’s location is unique. Amazingly located nearly on its own, on the rock, you get as private as it can get in Santorini! San Antonio compared with the rest of the properties in Oia, Fira and Imerovigli stands alone on the rock so it really minimizes Santorni’s main hotel problem which is stunning views yet with no privacy. Indeed what we have enjoyed most in San Antonio was the enhanced privacy, the stunning views and the brilliant suites!

We stayed in an all white suite carved in the rock, with our own indoor and outdoor Jacuzzi. Staff was helpful, discrete and smiling. You weak up, go out in your private patio and that’s it! You simply don’t want to move!! We had a car rental and planned many outdoor activities before our arrival such as wine tasting, dinning out etc but we simply couldn’t move and ended up cancelling half of our agenda as to stay in!! Stunning views, absolutely stunning! The suite itself was gorgeous, clean, fresh, modern yet classic in a sense. No words, hours of cuddling and romance in the hotel! Brilliant for honeymooners, absolutely brilliant choice!

If I will come back?? Of course I will!! If I would recommend it? Hmmm NO so we keep this paradise to ourselves shhhh :) !!!

Room Tip: I have read in a review that people should book the expensive rooms. I absolutely disagree! If you...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Imerovigli
Iconic Santorini, a boutique cave hotel
Pegasus Suites & Spa
Andronis Luxury Suites
Chromata Hotel
Chromata Hotel
#12 of 50 in Imerovigli

Been to San Antonio Suites? Share your experiences!