“Fantastic family run tavern - great food and service”
Review of Taverna Tasos

Taverna Tasos
Ranked #10 of 34 Restaurants in Imerovigli
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
London
“Fantastic family run tavern - great food and service”
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

We were delighted to stumble across this family run tavern in Imerovigli. Great local food and service with a smile. The father-in-law also hand paints pots and other small items which are sold in the back room at a very reasonable price and make great gifts or souvenirs. He also makes fantastic vin santo which we had the pleasure of trying.

The taverna doesn't take cards but it's very reasonable - around €45 for dinner for 2 people with wine.

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Driffield, United Kingdom
“Good food”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Family run and not pretentious. Efficient and friendly. Limited menu, but what we had (lamb kebabs and Greek salad) was delicious and since it was within walking distance of our Hotel, we had a very pleasant moonlit walk there and back again along the cliff path. Good value and would happily go back again.

Visited May 2014
“Excellent Food and Service”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

This is a true family owned restaurant; The father, son, and daughter in law run this quaint little restaurant. My associate and I where staying next door at the Balcony and I had read about this restaurant. It was excellent. From the appetizers to the main dishes every thing was fresh and taste wonderful. The owners where very nice and made sure our food was prepared to our liking. I would highly recommend Tasos.

• Visited May 2014
Los Angeles, California
“Confused and disappointed ”
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at Anastasis Apartments which is a few doors down from Taverna Tasos. We were staying there for a week and kept telling ourselves we had to try Tasos due to all the great reviews. When we finally went for a late lunch (1:30pm), we left after fifteen minutes without anyone saying a word to us.

Aside from an older local having his coffee, the restaurant was quiet. The younger man pictured in the third user submitted photo was having a cigarette with his friend at a table. Upon entering, he yells something to the kitchen without acknowledging us. The older gentleman pictured in the same user submitted photo, appears looking disheveled and overwhelmed.

He looks at us impatiently, then motions for us to choose a seat. We sit down, and he returns to the kitchen. We sit there, perplexed, expecting the "lovely, friendly service" we read about. The restaurant is empty and no one has yet to mention a word to us. My wife spots the menus (next to the no smoking sign) and grabs two for us. We sit there for another 10 minutes and finally decide to leave since no one has yet to come by our table. We walk right by the younger gentleman and he still doesn't say a word...just let's us walk right out.

I'm not sure why we had such a rude experience that contrasts the reviews here. For the record, we are two, early 30 Asian Americans. We weren't wearing anything offensive and have had nothing but great experiences across the rest of the island.

So confused and disappointed.

2 Thank icex731
Germany
“No better place to eat!”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I cannot imagine eating anywhere else when we are in Santorini...we eat there every night and have done so for quite a few years now as we have visited the island 10 times. The food is freshly cooked by the young owner himself, with some "specials" in the main season prepared by his father...all absolutely delicious! TOP quality, lovingly prepared and often using herbs and vegetables form the garden alongside the Taverna. Service is provided by Kosta's delightful , friendly young wife Alena who speaks excellent English and German - and I think some other languages as well! It is truly a family - run Taverna...often very busy in the high season. The food is typical and traditional, and I think not at all over-priced, in fact in our opinion very good value....Santorini is not one of the cheaper Greek islands and that should be born in mind. The red Santorini house wine is EXCELLENT and also very good value...in fact we met two wine dealers, a couple from Belgium ,whilst we were there this year and they were more than impressed with the wines (red and white) as well as with the food. Reading the review by CIROK I can only agree entirely and say I am so sorry we were not there to wit´ness the live music as we were low season again this time......but next year for sure! :-) Miss you already and I wish there was a Web cam so I could at least see the food! ;-) Costa's chips are, by the way, simply THE BEST EVER! They remind me of the hand cut, real potato chips of my childhood...beacuse that is what they are. Nothing can match them. :-)

• Visited May 2014