We were guests of the Honeymoon Petra Villas for 4 nights in late September and loved every minute of our stay. The photos on the website are accurate but don’t do the property justice. Unlike many other high end hotels on the island, Honeymoon Petra Villas has significant landscaping. There are multiple terraced rock gardens with a variety of flowering pants, succulents, and cacti. It is not, however, for the mobility challenged. We are two very fit people who exercise regularly, but walking the steps to and from our room was a challenging workout of lunges and squats.
The pool area is fantastic. The edgeless pool is one of the larger ones on the island and is immaculate. Views are breathtaking. Honeymoon is beautifully situated on the caldera so that it takes in the entire area. There are other luxurious properties, but few have this perspective. The pool area has a bar which is open almost 24 hours. Drinks are expensive but are very well mixed. Georgia, the wait person by the pool is lovely. We understood that light snacks were available but never ordered.
We stayed in the Petra section in a superior Petra room. The room was recently renovated and is contemporary but still feels traditional. Our room was large with decent closet and drawer space. The bathroom was dark, however. The TV was located at the end of the room and watching from the bed at the opposite end was not comfortable.
Our room was on the lowest level and closest to the sea and aside from our neighbours whose patio/terrace was across the sidewalk, we had complete privacy. The beauty of the Petra section property is that there is no foot traffic near the property. No one gazing down on you, as is typical in so many other hotels.
Breakfast was included but is not a strong suit of the hotel. Eggs were extremely overcooked and the bacon was almost raw. Additionally there were breads, pastries, cheese, meats, cereals, yogurt and fruit on offer, so although simple, there was always something to eat. And the incredible views in the breakfast area makes one forgive the culinary flaws.
Because we were staying for 4 nights, we were entitled to a complimentary sailboat cruise of the caldera. After discussions, we decided instead to purchase a half day cruise on a catamaran with 6 others, which was also offered by the hotel owner at a cost, although discounted. It took about 5 hours, included beer and wine and soft drinks, and a lovely lunch which consisted of Greek salad, grilled meats, bread, and fruit. A couple of stops were made so that one could swim if one wanted to. It was the highlight if our time in Santorini.
We also enjoyed hiking to Oia. We agree with the previous reviewer about the footing. Do wear proper footwear if you attempt this. Flip flops are folly. Wear a closed shoe with treads. And make sure you bring sunscreen and a hat. It's hot and there is no shade during the 2 1/2 hour walk.
Although the hotel has no concierge, the ladies in reception Evi and Olga wear many hats and are fantastic hostesses. They gave directions, arranged tours, made dinner reservations, and called taxis. They are charming young women and they were very much central to our successful stay.
Speaking of restaurants, Ambrosia and 1800 in Oia are very good. In Imerovigli, we loved La Maison. The octopus in sweet syrup is outstanding. We were not impressed with Sphinx in Fira despite its good reviews in travel books and the hotel’s recommendation. I hope to post reviews for these restaurants and others at a later date.
On the whole, we were very impressed with the food in Santorini. Santorini wines, too, are excellent. We particularly enjoyed our tasting at the Canava Roussos winery. Unfortunately, it was late in the season and the mezza that are normally served were not available. The wines we sampled were terrific, however.
Would I recommend the hotel? In a heartbeat. l
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- On the magical island of Santorini, in the charming village of Imerovigli, Honeymoon Petra luxury hotel stands perched above the deep blue Aegean Sea.Family owned and run, this unique 5 star Santorini hotel has a lot more to offer than just accommodation. Its extraordinary views, rich Greek flavor and unique hospitality, distinguish it as a remarkably unique and tranquil heaven.The Pool, the biggest one on the Caldera, is hewn out of the volcanic rock and the facilities around it include a steam room and outdoor Jacuzzi, a Pool Bar and Day restaurant, a BBQ area, a breakfast area with panoramic views and large, comfortable lounge chairs and daybeds for the ultimate relaxation experience. From the pool area guests can experience some of the most awe-inspiring sunsets in the world.One of the most extraordinary luxury hotels in Santorini, Honeymoon Petra offers stylish and comfortable accommodation, taking full advantage of its breathtaking location and views of the caldera, volcano and the satellite islands of Santorini. The complex is developed in 2 wings; the Traditional Wing, a group of 9 luxury Rooms & Suites built into the rock, in the traditional style of the island, and the Petra Wing, a group of 17 luxury Rooms & Suites built from the rocks of the volcanic mountains.Honeymoon Petra Villas, a luxury hotel tucked quaintly into the rock, is 10km away from the international airport, 2km from the capital of the island Fira and closely located to the ancient fortress of Skaros.Distinguishing from other Santorini luxury hotels, Honeymoon Petra will make your stay an unforgettable experience! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Bookgreece.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and Ebookers so you can book your Honeymoon Petra Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Honeymoon Petra Villas Hotel Imerovigli
- Honeymoon Petra Hotel
- Honeymoon Petra Imerovigli
- Honeymoon Petra Villas Santorini/Imerovigli