You are probably reading all the wonderful reviews for Altana and thinking, is it worth spending a little extra to stay at this wonderful hotel?
Well, look no further. The answer is a resounding yes. This is THE place to stay in if you want to visit Santorini.
There are so many reasons, but I will try to be succinct so I don't bore you to tears.
1. BEST location on the entire island. Imerovigli is a leisurely 20 minute walk to Thira, and about a two hour trek to Oia. All following lovely footpaths next to the caldera so you never fear getting lost. It is a very quiet upscale little town, a little away from the crazyness of the capital but still close enough to walk there. It is also the highest inhabited spot on the entire island, so the views are unparalleled.
2. The hotel itself is perfectly located, next to an old church and at the highest point in Imerovigli. It has only about 8 rooms so it never felt busy, and it is spread out over several different "floors", with great design to guarantee your privacy. The decor is absolutely lovely and very tasteful, achieving the feat of remaining traditional to its origins as the residential manor to a shipping captain, and at the same time having the latest comforts a modern hotel requires.
3. The owners, twin brothers Christos and Mario and are the epitome of hospitality. Christos in particular was so helpful in organizing our agenda, recommending activities, making reservations, and generally pointing out the best things to do in the island. If you like to step a little away from the beaten path, please heed his advice. He also prepares a mean grapefruit gin and tonic...
4. The rooms. And I mean, oh my are the rooms amazing. Before we left Christos showed us a couple more rooms and they were as lovely as ours, and all completely different. We stayed at the honeymoon suite, and it is worth every single penny we paid for it. Looking at the bright lights from the houses clinging to the caldera from the warmth of your own jacuzzi is a unique experience.
5. The breakfast. We looked forward to breakfast so much I couldn't wait to wake up. It is brought up to your room, and you can have it on your own private terrace overlooking the deep blue ocean. I really have no words to describe how pleasurable that was.
I really could go on and on. The only bad part about staying here is that we were so sad to leave. I had been to Santorini before, and it was like visiting a different place altogether.
Please do yourself a favour, and stay here. You will be happy you did.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This charming boutique hotel brings centuries-old style, history and hospitality luxuriously to life at the highest point of Santorini’s breathtaking volcanic Caldera, in Imerovigli. The restoration project of a Traditional Mansion owned by a family of generations of Captains that began in 1979 established Altana Hotel in 1983 as the first high standard guest house in the area of Imerovigli and certainly among the first on the Santorinian Caldera. This historical building complex dating back over a century, between 1779 and 1883 has been preserved, restored and renovated to meet the highest standards of modern luxury. The 6 apartments and 8 suites at Altana, each unique, blend traditional local architecture and aesthetics with modern amenities that tastefully cater for any true traveler's comfort. A unique sensitivity to detail and restored original objects revive the simple elegance of tradition and pay homage to the history of the mansion. A deeply personal service philosophy offers a unique hospitality experience in a setting surrounded by an endless horizon of blue in a bird’s eye view of the Santorinian Caldera, the Volcano, and the whole of the Southern Aegean Sea, including the neighboring islands. Enjoy a dip under the sun in the highest swimming pool on the island and feel free against the sea breeze. Lose your breath to the vibrant sunrises and mystical sunsets from your private veranda. Relax in your suite’s private Jacuzzi pool or rejuvenate your mind and body with a plethora of massage, yoga, chi-kung and beauty treatments. Enjoy homemade breakfast till noon or experiment with local homemade delicacies, sweets and wine-tasting at ‘Kafeneion’, our preserved cave-house bistro. Sample a world of gastronomy with our cooking lessons, gourmet degustation & private candle-lit dinner experiences, which incorporate our own organically grown produce straight from the volcanic soil of the Altana farm. Savor the atmosphere of relaxation and discovery that will inspire some of the most romantic and exciting moments of your life. Dive into the magic of something old and discover something new...welcome to Altana, let us immerse you into the magic of Santorini. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Odigeo and Hotel.de so you can book your Altana Traditional Houses and Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Altana Traditional Houses Hotel Imerovigli
- Altana Traditional Hotel
- Hotel Altana Traditional
- Altana Traditional Houses And Suites Santorini/Imerovigli