“Breathtaking” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 48 Hotels in Imerovigli
London
“Breathtaking”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2012

As an amazing wedding present, our friends gave us a Mr & Mrs Smith voucher to treat ourselves to a fabulous 'mini-moon' - and we chose Astra Suites as we had wanted to go to Santorini for a long long time...

We could not have picked a better hotel.

Breathtaking views, lovely rooms, excellent and incredibly considerate service. Upon arriving they sit you down and show you a map of the area and recommend places to eat fyi - ALL of their choices were perfect, particularly the restaurants in the beautiful Amoudi Bay area.

The pool side area is fabulous with a great bar, excellent cocktails and delicious food. You have to get up early to ensure you get one of the coveted double beds facing the sea and onto the pool, but plenty of other regular sunbeds on offer too!!

What we loved about the hotel was the location too. You're near the old and new port, by Thira and a cab journey away from Oia but you feel like you're the only people on the island at times. The sunsets every night, without fail were incredible and George & team sent us champagne to watch it go down on our private balcony (with chocolates too!) - a VERY nice touch.

Talking of private balconies, they bring you your breakfast there everyday! You simply make your order, tell them what time you'd like it and they deliver it on time. Perfect.

whilst we lounged by the pool most of the time, do take the time to go to Fira and on a boat trip (George & team will arrange from you). It''s admittedly a combination of fascinating, romantic and down-right hilarious -- so certainly worth every penny!

We simply cannot fault it here. We'd love to return again soon.

2 Thank lucyfromlondon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2011

I really apologize for not reviewing this property earlier. My husband and I stayed at Astra Suites during the last 2 weeks of August. The weather was absolutely perfect. We had 80-90 degree weather everyday, not a cloud in the sky! When you first arrive at the island, you are picked up by Astra and driven to the hotels location on the opposite end of the Island. The city nearest the airport is not in the best of shape and it started to make me wonder if we chose the right destination for our honeymoon. However, the area nearest the airport is where the locals live so its an entirely different setting than the Resort side.
When we arrived at our hotel we were taken down the path to meet with George (the hotel manager) he gave us a map to the island and explained in great detail all of the places that we should visit during our stay. The map was extremely helpful during our stay, we very much appreciated all of his wisdom. After we checked in, we were walked to our room just in time to watch the sunset. The most beautiful views I have ever seen. I think initally I was in shock just to how beautiful the views actually were. Our room was perfect. We stayed in a JUNIOR SUITE which was perfect for us as honeymooners, and our room was located towards the top of the resort which is also perfect because you are not directly next to the pool area or other hotel guests. Our room had a patio right off of the front entrance and our breakfast was served daily (your choice of multiple breakfast items, this was one of my husbands favorite parts of our vacation.. he can't get over how good the Santorini Omlete was and still asks me to try and make them at home. :) There is a restaurant located on site, however you can order anything from the menu from your room and it arrives within 20 minutes. Amazing service, the wait staff was just great, I can't say enough about them. We even had a bottle of wine, chocolates and strawberries waiting for us one night as a gift from the Hotel staff for being honeymooners. There is a refrigerator in each room which is stocked with beverages of many kinds, and various snacks. They also place a bowl on your table of assorted fruits upon arrival. They provide a few bottles of water on them as well. You will need to purchase more water bottles and the store is located just at the top of the hotel. Very convenient. Also, one of the amazing things that they did for us was supply us with a laptop to use on our stay, this allowed us to Skype with our family and show them the amazing sunsets.
The pool at the hotel is perfect, a bit cold, but I think they keep it at a low temp because its generally so hot outside. The chairs surrounding the pool are so comfy, just make sure to get there around 9:00 or 10:00 am or they will all be taken. However, if they are short on chairs they will bring out more. I also had a massage during my stay and it was amazing. They also gave us time to spend in the relaxation room with a private spa and steam room.
George also recommended that we take the santorini boat cruise to the Caldera. If you have extra time on your hands I would suggest this, if you have motion sickness do not go, the boat ride is rocky or bring motion sickness meds. I would highly suggest walking to Fira at night when the temperatures are cooler, it takes about 20 minutes and its a really fun walk by the cliffside. Lots of great restaurants and shopping in Fira.. If we can answer any questions don't hesitate to ask!

Room Tip: The Junior Suite is perfect
4 Thank BeavBeliever07
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2011

We got the suite with the private pool for our honeymoon and we had the time of our life staying at Astra. Pool was clean, service was great, spacious and amazing sunsets.

It's away from crowds. You need to walk about 30 min to Fira town or take a taxi. There are restaurants along the way. One that had amazing veal and eggplant dish was with a blue awning about 15 min walk. also try the pisstachio icecream along the way to Fira - there's a little iceream place on the left.

It can get windy so one day we could not have our sun umbrella up and there was nowhere to hide from the sun - that could have been thought of better by the hotel.
overall- very worth it! 5 out of 5 starts. we'd recommend going back there.

2 Thank LeisureTraveller310
Lewes, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2011

Astra Suites are in a fantastic position looking out across the Santorini caldera edge panorama down onto the imposing Skaros Castle. The staff were very helpful and friendly. We recieved a really warm welcome and a full briefing on the amenities at Astra and across the island. I loved it here and did not want to leave. There are steps and a walk dopwn from where the car drops you but the staff met us and all our luggage was cariried down for us . Staff were similarly helpful when we left. Breakfasts were gorgeous and served on our balcony. I shared a suite with my friend, my sister ansd her husband. Although most of the people there were in couples we diod not feel out of place.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Hoppetlewes
British Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2011

If I could take a month off work and recharge I would go to Astra in a heartbeat. I loved everything about this hotel and its location on Santorini. It has one of the best views on the island. Imerovigli hotels don't have power lines in front of them spoiling the view like in Fira and we were able to take some amazing photos.

George, the owner, was friendly and gave us lots of information upon check-in and all the front desk staff were gracious and helpful throughout our stay. When we arrived in our suite, a chilled bottle of Santorini wine was waiting for us which we enjoyed that evening while watching one of the most spectacular sunsets over the Aegean.

We used the pool facilities every day and dined in their restaurant a couple of nights. The food was very good. We really enjoyed the breakfast served on our balcony every morning. It was a great way to start the day.

I read some reviews complaining about the hand held shower heads but we loved them. The reviewers made it sound like you had to hold the shower heads while showering but that it not the case. There's a mount on the wall that you can attach the shower head to.

I can't say enough good things about this hotel and I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank WestCoastRain
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2011

As we approached the Astra Suites with my wife, I became quite worried that we had chosen the wrong place to stay. However, my fears were swept away as soon as we stepped into the reception area and was given a warm welcome by George, the manager.
He immediately made us feel welcome and spent some time getting to know how we would like to spend our holiday.
He gave us a brief guide of the island with some very handy tips on the best places to visit, boat trips and where to eat. We were then shown to our suite; beautiful, spacious rooms with a large bathroom. The huge terrace leading from the loung area, gave us a good view of the pool area, where we could keep an eye on the spectacular view overlooking the sea, which was just amazing.
We had our breakfast out on the balcony most mornings just to take in our beautiful surroundings and had our evening meal in the restaurant. All the meals were delicious and the atmosphere friendly and relaxing.
On the days we left to tour the island, we returned to either have a swim in the pool or relax in our suite. There is a library at Astra with plenty of reading material for guests like my wife and I who like to sit and read during some of our quieter moments throughout our holiday.

At the end of our stay, I felt entirely grateful to George and his staff who with their help made it much easier for myself and my wife to enjoy Greece and Santorini before move to Mykonos.

Thank you Astra team, we will come back again soon.

Room Tip: 307 Suite had a great view of the sunset.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

My husband and I visited for part of our honeymoon, and this was by far the highlight and best stay that we had (over other prominent hotels in Singapore, London, Paris and Hong Kong during our honeymoon). George and Helen made every effort to make our stay extremely memorable. Upon arrival we were very kindly upgraded to the honeymoon suite, and George took his time to explain every detail of where to go and what to do in Santorini. My husband still raves about the delicious complimentary breakfasts. Thank you to all the staff here for making our honeymoon and Santorini so memorable, and for exceeding our expectations in every aspect possible!! We can't wait to return!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple