“Great place to stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 48 Hotels in Imerovigli
North Richland Hills, Texas, United States
“Great place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2012

We stayed for 3 nights recently and had a great time. The room was very nice, views are spectacular, staff is very friendly and it's centrally located. We always had breakfast outside don't know how breakfast could get much better. again views are just amazing. Highly recommend Astra Suites and hope to go back someday.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Orland Park, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2012

We stayed in this fabulous hotel for 3 days and only wished we could stay longer. We had a two bedroom villa overlooking the Sea and so high up you felt you could touch the sky. The view was breathtaking and the sunsets were phenomenal. This property is built on a very high cliffside.
Our breakfast was served to us every morning on our patio; food being exceptional. We ate our meals at their small restaurant under the stars. Service was great. I would give this property the very highest mark in all ways; beauty, elegance and service.

Room Tip: The villas were all gorgeous and some were higher up. I would say any suite you had would be wonder...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2012

George Karayiannis was the name that echoed above the blue and white churches and the stunning views above The Caldera each morning after we awoke. Perfection, Imagination, and Immaculate are symbolic to this perfect man who runs Astra Suites and his stunning staff. I surprised my wife Nellie with a wedding at Astra and flew her all the way from Los Angeles, California just for that. From the moment we showed up at the airport and I saw the driver holding a sign that read, " Benavides" I knew it was smooth sailing from there on. Sure enough, our stay, our wedding, our breakfast each morning, the views of the volcano, the sunrises and sunsets, our dinners, the staff, the beautiful people....everything....Popis, Konstas, George The Young Waiter, The Hungarian Bartender with his cool stories, The Driver, Helen...and of course Our GEORGE KARAYIANNIS....how we miss these human beings....they not only made us feel like Royalty, but like Emperors and Sultans as well. Not one day goes by that we don't think of any of them. When you as the reader and vacationer think of a honeymoon, a holiday or simply a-get- away and need perfection...don't think much...just close your eyes and book Astra and from that point forward when you think of Greece, you won't remember Zeus or Athena..The Mediterranean or Plato...you'll think of Astra Suites from Santorini, Greece.

Love, MarNel
Whittier, California, USA

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank MarNel M
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

I stayed in Astra Suites for five days in early September, in a suite with a pool. It was amazing. I had read many (if not all) reviews of this place prior to my travel - I had chosen Astra Suites because of the "stellar" reviews - I found everything was as excellent as it had been described and I do not know what else I can add to the greatest reviews which have been written.
The view is stunning. Most of the time (with an exception of a couple of half-days) I spend just watching the sea from the terrace. So beautiful, so magic. The place is beautifull and very well maintained, the staff is extremely helpful for anything which may come up (i addition to providing all the info you will ever need about the island upon arrival). I cannot even call Astra Suites a "hotel", because it did feel like home away from home.The suite was...hard to describe, one really need to experience it..tastefull, elegant, luxurious without being overbearing... if I ever go to Santorini again, I will stay at Astra Suites for sure... also... on the morning of my departure, I got a call from Eleni, offering "a late check out", meaning checking out four hours after "normal" time of check out; when I was supposed to leave for the port to sail to Crete. It was very thoughtful of the staff - they did not have to do it; in the "worst" (which is not really the worst, believe me) case scenario, there is a "hospitality suite"... but I got to stay in my suite, at the pool, watching the sea, for several more hours.... It was a very nice surprise!
To summarize, I recommend this "hotel" with no reservation, and I hope my son (when he decides to get married - which I suspect is coming soon), will accept my gift of staying at Astra Suites as a part of his honeymoon trip! Eleni, Popi and all - thanks!!!!!
Also...had a couple of spa treatments... Fenix (?Phenix) was extremely good for a massage, one of the best I have ever had, and I have had plenty around the world... thanks, Fenix

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

It was our first time on Santorini. Arriving by ferry was a bit of a shock because the port leaves much to be desired, and the first drive through town was chaotic; however, once we began the descend to the Astra, our jaws were on the floor....THE VIEWS! My husband and I looked at each other and asked, "is this for real?"

We continued our walk and further cliffside descent to our room, which happend to be the last one on the bottom. Spectacular room, with separate living room area (I could have hosted a party for 20+ people in there); a bathroom the size an an average European hotel room; and a balcony and view that can not be quantified with money.

The service was impeccable. George and his staff were the most accommodating, and they nurtured my belief that Greek's are the nicest people on the planet.

Having breakfast served daily on our balcony set the mood for each day. If you can go, please go visit. I am sorry that we didn't think to stay there longer. We have regretted it every day since.

I do advise that this is not a hotel that would work for anyone suffering from a heart condition, or with hip or leg problems. The climb up and down the stairs leaves you breathless (not in a good way), and it isn't uncommon to catch people in between each set of stairs gasping for air. I know this from my own, and my husband's experience. I was so impressed to watch the staff carry heavy suitcases up and down those stairs without (seemingly) any effort; then again, these are 20+ year olds who are used to it. We had to pay for deep tissue massages on the mainland to help alleviate the hip; ankle; and calf pain experienced from the stairs; hiking; and many cliffside walks.......All so very worth it.

On the Friday night, I heard what sounded like cannons exploding and lighting up the sky directly above my hotel room. I forgot to ask the staff what the heck that was (it was at least midnight when it happened). My guess is that it was either Friday night fireworks or someone's wedding celebration. We went back to sleep soon after.

As far as romance goes, I don't know that you could do any better than Santorini; Imerovigli; Astra Suites.

Room Tip: We had a room with a small Jacuzzi. The rooms with private swimming pools seem the best, but are pr...
1 Thank t70smer
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2012

Well I’m not sure what we can say that hasn’t been said before. We stayed at the Astra Suites recently for our honeymoon, it was a gift from my family, but we could not have picked a better hotel. The staff, the view, the suite, the location were all amazing. A special mention goes to Chris the barman who kept us well watered, and entertained, all week! While we were there we were adopted by a stray dog, he followed us home along the path from Fira. George (the hotel manager) could not have been more helpful or accommodating, he gave us a dog bowl and dog food and arranged a vet appointment. Little Chap (his Sunday name is George!) is going to be arriving in the UK next week to begin his new life in Scotland. We cannot thank the Astra staff enough for all their help in bringing him home.
Nothing was ever a problem for the staff and they were always willing to help with any queries, even when we were slightly inebriated from the cocktails!
I would not hesitate to recommend Astra Suites to anyone, in fact I’d insist they stayed there if going to Santorini. We will be going back for our 5th anniversary, although hopefully we won’t come back with another live souvenir!

Room Tip: We had a Junior Suite near the pool which we loved. We looked at an upgrade to a suite with a jacuz...
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2012

I've just come back from a 10 day stay at Astra (Sep 2012), and I'm still in awe of the island and hotel I love so much. I consider this place my 'home away from home'. I've been coming to the Greek Islands for the last 16 years, and to Santorini for the last 7 years. All of my friends would think I'm crazy for coming back to the same place year after year. But when you travel to this island, and stay at the wonderful hotel of Astra, you will truly understand why. I convinced my best friend to have her wedding here this year, and both she & her soon to be husband had never even been to Santorini before, ever. So as you can imagine, that was a lot of pressure on me to deliver an experience of a lifetime, to bring to reality the magical place I've been telling them about for so long, my most favorite place in the world. And now they all understand why I come back so many times, and they've already told me they'll be coming back every year too! George, the hotel manager, made my friends and I feel so welcome and went above and beyond to make my friends' wedding a beautiful one. He was the officiant who married them and he planned all the details of the wedding. He makes you feel like you are home when you arrive to the hotel, and is so warm and kind, and just amazing! The hotel staff are great too. One of the best things about the hotel, aside from the spectacular views and sunsets, is the amazing breakfast that is delivered to your balcony each morning (up until 11:30am, suh-weettt!!) so that you can bask in the glory of the early morning sunrise and tranquility of the island. Then once you move to the infinity pool and bar to enjoy mid afternoon and sunset, Chris the bartender will make you the most amazing mojito you've ever had (and he'll make you laugh too! He is quite witty!) Sharen, the reservations manager, is awesome and very knowledgeable about the island, the good 'local' places to eat, things to do etc. Astra is the only place I stay when I go to Santorini for all the reasons I mention above, the beauty of the property itself, it's unique position on the island, their wonderful staff, and the close proximity to the main town Fira. (The cliffside walk to town is only about 30-45 mins and is a great way to take in the sunset and take pictures). As I'm a 'regular' at this hotel, I can truly call these people my friends. Thank you Astra for being amazing! :) Xo- Lisa

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends