I can't say enough good things about this hotel. It was everything I thought it would be and more. There are not words to describe the view, it was simply breathtaking. Breakfast is included in the stay and was fantastic. You let the hotel know what time you'd like it delivered in the morning and they set it up on the balcony every morning. The menu consist of omelets, eggs, cereal, pastries, yogurt (best greek yogurt ever), fruit, etc.....The orange juice is simply the best I've EVER had. Tasted like they squeezed it straight from the orange into the glass. It was so good that my friend and I ordered 4 glasses of it every morning.
The rooms are spacious and perfectly appointed. The hotel staff went above and beyond to help you in any way you needed. Upon our arrival George told us about the island and suggested where we should visit, eat, etc... They arranged for us to rent a car one day and had it dropped off at the hotel. They also arranged for our sailing trip that was fantastic. We had the pool to ourselves most days along with it's friendly bartender Costa (2). The hotel restaurant was delicious and our waiter Costa (1), could not have been more informative or helpful. We felt like part of the hotel family by the end of our trip.
The location of the hotel was great. It has beautiful sunsets and is located just a 25 minute walk from Fira, the town where the cruise ships disembark and where all the shopping is located. Fira is packed with people every day, filled with restaurants and boutiques. It's great to visit but we were glad to have the serenity of the Astra, away from the hustle and bustle of the crowds.
Some side notes about visiting Santorini...
1. Leave your high heels and wedges behind, no need to pack them, the roads are cobblestone, rock and uneven concrete. My girlfriend and I are experts in walking in heeled shoes but there's no way you can wear them here. Pack a pair of sneakers for hiking and flats or flip flops for walking around town. Save the room in your luggage for all the shopping you'll be doing.
2. Everything is literally straight up or down and very steep, so be prepared to feel the burn in your muscles! The hardest job in the world must be to be a bellman here. These guys cart your luggage up and down 5-6 flights of stairs with a dolly to bring it to and from the hotel. I couldn't help thinking that my grandparents wouldn't be able to get around here or someone who is over weight or handicapped. My girlfriend and I are both in our late twenties and early thirties and both work-out daily. This took the wind out of us and I'm not embarrassed to say that we both had to stop a few times to catch our breath.
3. Arrange with the hotel for them to pick you up and drop you off at the airport. This made life so much easier.
I've already booked this hotel for next year and can't wait to go back. I highly recommend the Astra and wouldn't stay anywhere else.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built at the highest point of Santorini’s steep cliffs at the legendary caldera, the Astra Suites complex enjoys the privilege of a magical panoramic view to the caldera and the immense Aegean Sea. It is the place where everything and everybody “conspire” to make you feel a VIP during your vacations. Twenty seven sumptuous Suites decorated in Cycladic style and 8 tempting suites with jacuzzi and private swimming pool welcome you to a hospitable environment where the discreet service of each individual guest is the complex’s basic instinct, and the protection of his private moments constitutes the staff’s basic priority. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Bookgreece.com, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Astra Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Astra Hotel Imerovigli
- Astra Apartments Hotel
- Astra Apartments Imerovigli
- Astra Apartments Santorini
- Astra Suites Santorini/Imerovigli