“Absolutely Amazing!”

Ranked #7 of 50 Hotels in Imerovigli
Blue Ridge, Georgia
“Absolutely Amazing!”
Reviewed 9 May 2013

I can't say enough good things about this hotel. It was everything I thought it would be and more. There are not words to describe the view, it was simply breathtaking. Breakfast is included in the stay and was fantastic. You let the hotel know what time you'd like it delivered in the morning and they set it up on the balcony every morning. The menu consist of omelets, eggs, cereal, pastries, yogurt (best greek yogurt ever), fruit, etc.....The orange juice is simply the best I've EVER had. Tasted like they squeezed it straight from the orange into the glass. It was so good that my friend and I ordered 4 glasses of it every morning.

The rooms are spacious and perfectly appointed. The hotel staff went above and beyond to help you in any way you needed. Upon our arrival George told us about the island and suggested where we should visit, eat, etc... They arranged for us to rent a car one day and had it dropped off at the hotel. They also arranged for our sailing trip that was fantastic. We had the pool to ourselves most days along with it's friendly bartender Costa (2). The hotel restaurant was delicious and our waiter Costa (1), could not have been more informative or helpful. We felt like part of the hotel family by the end of our trip.

The location of the hotel was great. It has beautiful sunsets and is located just a 25 minute walk from Fira, the town where the cruise ships disembark and where all the shopping is located. Fira is packed with people every day, filled with restaurants and boutiques. It's great to visit but we were glad to have the serenity of the Astra, away from the hustle and bustle of the crowds.

Some side notes about visiting Santorini...
1. Leave your high heels and wedges behind, no need to pack them, the roads are cobblestone, rock and uneven concrete. My girlfriend and I are experts in walking in heeled shoes but there's no way you can wear them here. Pack a pair of sneakers for hiking and flats or flip flops for walking around town. Save the room in your luggage for all the shopping you'll be doing.
2. Everything is literally straight up or down and very steep, so be prepared to feel the burn in your muscles! The hardest job in the world must be to be a bellman here. These guys cart your luggage up and down 5-6 flights of stairs with a dolly to bring it to and from the hotel. I couldn't help thinking that my grandparents wouldn't be able to get around here or someone who is over weight or handicapped. My girlfriend and I are both in our late twenties and early thirties and both work-out daily. This took the wind out of us and I'm not embarrassed to say that we both had to stop a few times to catch our breath.
3. Arrange with the hotel for them to pick you up and drop you off at the airport. This made life so much easier.

I've already booked this hotel for next year and can't wait to go back. I highly recommend the Astra and wouldn't stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with any of the rooms. They all have a tremendous view.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank FozzysMom

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 9 May 2013

I've never stayed in such a wonderful, luxurious place before. The view is just incredible, the suits have all the finishing touches and the staff are some of the friendliest, nicest people me and my husband have ever met.

They are more than accommodating, they will bend over backwards to ensure you have a great stay. On top of this, I can't imagine a better view in the whole island!

If you're looking for a place that looks like a postcard, this is the one. On top of this the service is 5 star-it's an incredible place and I hope we can make it back to stay at Astra in the future!

Room Tip: I think they'd all be wonderful here.
Bruxelles
Reviewed 7 May 2013

The entire team of the hotel, managed in a masterly fashion by George, is effective and charming. Due to the nice behavior of all the staff members, we have to feeling that we’re members of the big family of Astra Suites. I would like to quote some names among which the service and the attentions were particularly appreciated and estimated: Eleni, Popi, Christos, Katerina... Naturally, my list is not exhaustive and in advance I apologize for not having quoted all the others. From the first day onwards, we were very well treated. We were very warmly welcomed by the driver of the Van at the airport (we had reserved this service) and from this moment onwards, the holidays really began. The driver took care of suitcases at the airport and loaded them in the van. Once we departed, bottles of water were proposed to us (very nice attention).
George welcome his customers himself and, even arriving about 21.00 Hr, he gave us a complete explanation on the Santorin Island. The discovery of our suite was a real delight. The suite is very vast, with a unique view on the caldera. All the pictures on the website are real. The light and various colors of the tiles, pillows and paintings, the “royal bathroom” (the shower is a really exceptional) and the welcome surprise (a wine bottle of Santorin cooling in a champagne bucket) are competing the first fantastic experience. In brief, this was successful start for our stay. Without having made any preliminary reservation, we were suggested to have dinner into the restaurant of the hotel (which serves an excellent Greek cuisine). At the restaurant, and even if we were being almost the only customers, we have been treated with all the necessary consideration. The meal is served without haste none, the concerning recommendations The meal is served without haste none, the recommendations concerning the dishes and the wines are perfect and blankets were brought if needed for the cold. In brief, a first perfect evening.
From the next day, we were able to appreciate all the refinement of the hotel. An employee from the reception called in our suite to confirm that the hour for the breakfast we decided the day before, always suited us. If that was the case, some members of the staff came to lay the table on our terrace and to serve the breakfast. We so start the day with real images of paradise in eyes.
During all the remainder of the stay, we were so cherished as if we were alone in the hotel. The reception informs you about all that you can ask for, takes care of reservations and the person in charge of the car rental comes even with the car up to the entrance of the hotel. It is a real luxury service.
I can obviously not forget to mention that we had one of the best massages of our life. I also like to thank Georges's kind gesture when, enjoying our outside Jacuzzi, somebody came to bring us a bottle of Cava (Spanish sparkling white wine) accompanied with strawberries and chocolate. Divine!!!
Astra Suites deserves certainly the award of the most romantic hotel of the world for 2013 awarded by Cop Nast Johansens.
It is also obvious that we shall return as soon as possible.
Thank you for everything George.

San Diego, California
Reviewed 4 May 2013

This place is the hotel of your dreams. Cut into the side of the cliff , over the caldera, the views are expansive, beautiful and completely unobstructed. 2 patios, one off the bedroom and one off the living room. Breakfast was served on our personal patio and the food is fantastic. Evenings were chilly in April and the warm comforter on the bed was great! The staff is incredibly accomodating and helpful with great recommendations for activities and restaurants. They facilitated taxi's, rental car and other activities seamlessly. It is within walking distance to Fira. I cannot imagine a better experience. It was the highlight of our trip through Greece and Turkey.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms!
sussex
Reviewed 2 May 2013

We started the great experience since we arrived at Santorini Airport. We have booked for a standard transfer (sharing with others) but we were given a van exclusively for us. As soon as we got in the bus, the driver handed us a bottle of water as it was very hot. When we arrived at the path leading to the hotel, we were greeted by the concierge who then lead us to the main hotel reception where we saw Helen with a warm smile waiting for us. The first impression about the hotel portrayed by all the staff had already amazed us. We have been to many hotels before but we have never been welcomed as warmly as they did.

Upon check-in, George, the manager had explained all the things we need to know about Santorini. He has given us all the useful tips we would need for the trip.

I initially booked for a studio but they gave us complimentary upgrade to a junior suite. In the room was complimentary Santorini wine, fruits and red roses. On the second day, because of plumbing issues just above us, they have once again upgraded us to a Senior suite which was bigger, better and more secluded than the first ones we had. I can not fault anything from the rooms in Astra as the ones we had are really clean, modern, stylish and unique.

I like the breakfast style. They gave us a menu where we can choose whatever food we want to have for breakfast and they serve it on the time we specified. Basically: Whatever you want, whenever you want, as much as you want. During our whole stay I did not experience even one day that the breakfast was late even for 1 minute.

Have I mentioned the complimentary Santorini wine, strawberries and truffles while enjoying the sunset in the balcony on the second day? I could go on and on and on about the great experience we had in this hotel.

To all the staff at Astra, especially to Helen and everyone at the reception, thank you is not enough to show how happy we are for the unique experiences you have given us during our stay. We will definitely recommend Astra Suites to everyone. We just arrived but we can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: The superior suite is good because you have more privacy although all the rooms are good.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank iheartt0travel
Khabarovsk, Russia
Reviewed 1 May 2013

We stayed in the Astra Suites, Santorini, Greece in May-June of 2012 and it was the beginning of our honeymoon. I can tell sincerely we enjoied this hotel, this island, this country.

We arrived on Santorini about 27th of May and staied there about a one week. First three days were windy and not hot, especially at morning, but later it was hot and sunny enough. If you need the warm sea for swimming I'd recommend you to find a municipal paid beach near Kamaria.

The hotel is located on caldera slope about 300 meters over the sea. It gives the most amazing view to the volcano, caldera and fantastis sunset.

As all hotels in Imerovigli, Astra has small territoty, small pool and has no one main building. Outdoor it looks like few white houses and stairs, but they very nice indoor. The Astra Suites very comfortable, cosy and romantic hotel.

The Astra has no beach of course. But there are few not bad beaches on Santorini. For example you can find a good beach near Perissa. I strongly recommend you to rent a car or bike to watch all island out. It took about five minutes to get to a parking place from the hotel.

The hotel stuff was very friendly and responsive. It was really good service and very tasty breakfast.)

We were offered a smaller room than we'd expected but it was really correct offer. The room was on the top of the hotel and it was few high stairs from reception and pool. But we got full privacy, silence and own balcony for breakfast and sunburn.

So, our visit to the Astra Suites was fantastic, amazing, unforgetable!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mihailrus
Reviewed 29 April 2013

The entire staff at Astra Suites made our stay impeccable. Honestly, everything was perfect, from the room (free upgrade with an incredible view) to the food to the very attentive staff. As an example of the customer service, I asked if the hotel had an on-call doctor because I'm pregnant and a worrier, and the staff went above and beyond by giving me two names and cell phone numbers of local OBGYNs. The view from the property is spectacular. I am so glad we didn't stay in nearby Fira instead. The only improvement I would ask for is to heat their beautiful pool during the off-season (we were there in March when it's still a bit cool and windy). All in all, this was one of the best hotel experiences we've had anywhere in Europe.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple